Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

2017 Goodguys Rules Clarification!

We have had a bit of conversation going on over on Facebook about some of the "new" rules for Goodguys events so I thought I would make a quick call to GG Headquarters and find out once and for all, what's-the-what.

According to Ed Capen (who makes the rules) there are only a couple of new-ish rules, the rest have been on the books for a while. First and foremost, I wanted him to address the new Db requirement.

Suzy: Okay Ed, what's the deal with the new exhaust and Db requirements? Isn't this lower than what is required on the street? And, nearly none of us have exhaust that exits outside of the body, how is that going to work?

14. Exhaust must exit outside of the body, behind driver and be securely installed. Mufflers are required with no open exhaust or open headers allowed (90db max).

**AMMENDED**
      14. Exhaust must exit outside of the body, behind driver and be securely installed. Mufflers are required with no open exhaust or open headers allowed (90db max/idle @ Del Mar)

Ed: Well, okay yes... but, first of all the rule about the exhaust exiting the body has always been the rule. We are mostly concerned with fumes and driver safety. We want the exhaust to exit beyond the driver. In the early days we had some folks who had straight pipes and nearly open headers, we cannot have that for both noise, and driver safety. The rule about Db is definitely new and this is really only a big deal for Del Mar. We will not be metering this officially but we have been asked by the neighbors in Del Mar (who have beachfront condos about 100 yards away from the track) to put some sort of a limit on the noise. We have worked closely with these people and they have been very understanding so far. The neighbors in question stood on their balcony and watched the races to see which cars were the worst - and by worst, the cars whose exhaust shook their sliding glass doors - and this was only a few cars. The cars who will be most affected are cars with side pipes and no real mufflers. Unfortunately, this has to be done in order to keep autocross at Del Mar; we cannot chance losing this venue for autocross because of a few loud cars. We will not have a decibel reader, we will go by ear and we will let you know if you're not within range of what we feel is acceptable to the neighbors.

Suzy: Okay, so next: Helmets?

22. Helmets are required in all classes, DOT or SFI approved.

Ed: Yes, helmets. This year helmets are required for all drivers and passengers. We will have four loaner helmets available for those who don't have a helmet.

Suzy: While I don't think it's new, what is the main purpose of the body panel limitations being within 10% of factory?

15. All entries will have all body panels of such vehicle (Fenders, doors, hood, deck lid and bed sides on trucks). Body must be within 10% of original production (Hot rod & Truck class have exception in their rules).

Ed: We're trying to keep crazy concoctions of cars that basically don't exist, from being considered in the competition. Flares, scoops and such aren't a part of this rule. This would also apply to kit cars that don't represent a factory production vehicle.

Suzy: Someone brought up the limitations on alcohol in the pits. I think it was mostly a joke because this person lamented that spectators drinking always had something funny to say about the cars. My assumption was that this is nothing new and that it only applies to the drivers, am I correct?

16. No alcoholic beverages allowed for driver or crew members in the pit or track area.

Ed: Yes, you are correct. The alcohol in the pits rule applies to drivers only.

Suzy: So Ed, one last question: What are your thoughts about the coming year?

Ed: We are excited about the special events within the autocross. We added 'Music City Mayhem' and we're really looking forward to bringing this opportunity to Nashville. The Duel in the Desert continues to be a great and exciting event and last year's Duel in Des Moines was a lot of fun. These competitions within the event bring another level of excitement for the spectators and often produce a winner who differs from the overall winner. After all, there are still cones to be hit when the pressure is on.

Thanks to both Ed and Suzy for getting this info out to us! Can't wait for the new season to begin.
      71 Camaro Goodguys Autox'r - nothing says you drive your car more than cone scuff marks on the rockers...

So to clarify on the rules, a side exit exhaust exiting in front of the rear wheels are ok as long as they meet the body line?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com