Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Cool Power Steering with radiator transmission cooler

Hey guys,

I just bought a C&R Racing radiator with dual Spal fans for my 2nd gen Camaro. The radiator comes with a built in transmission cooler and the C&R sales person said I could use the built in trans cooler to cool my power steering.

However, from what I am reading online most people do not do this. Is there any reason not to do this?

By the way, this car is a full on race car not registered for the street. High compression small block race engine. NASA time trail car.

I put a C&R radiator with the oil and PS coolers in my car this year. It was built to be an oil cooler, so I'm not sure how a trans cooler would be different. Size maybe?

I like the unit a lot. But it took a little work to make it fit into my Firebird. The core support is different between a Camaro and a Firebird, so a couple of details were different. Keep us posted about how your install goes...
      Bryan (a.k.a. Carbuff)

70 Camaro RS Hunk'o'Metal - Previous Project
      71 Firebird Project T.O.W. - New Project

Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
      I put a C&R radiator with the oil and PS coolers in my car this year. It was built to be an oil cooler, so I'm not sure how a trans cooler would be different. Size maybe?

I like the unit a lot. But it took a little work to make it fit into my Firebird. The core support is different between a Camaro and a Firebird, so a couple of details were different. Keep us posted about how your install goes...
      Are you saying that you used the transmission cooler that is built into the radiator for your power steering cooler?

No, I purchased a unit from C&R that was built with the PS and oil coolers. I can't speak to using the transmission cooler. I'm curious how a transmission cooler is different from an oil cooler also...
      Bryan (a.k.a. Carbuff)

Oh I understand. So your radiator has a built in power steering cooler and an engine oil cooler. does it work well.

It's hard to know how well the oil cooler worked (as a cooler) since I have no way to measure the temps. But the oil cooler definitely works well. The oil comes up to temp (around 190* on my gauge) and stays between 190 and 210 from what I've seen. I haven't done a road course event yet, I'll be doing COTA again in the spring, possibly another event before then.

Where is the drain-**** on the radiator you purchased? Mine was on the bottom passenger side, and I had to drill a hole in the core support, use a 1.5" long nipple, and then the drain **** into that.
      Bryan (a.k.a. Carbuff)

Quote Originally Posted by JT
      Is there any reason not to do this?
      No, of course not. It works fine -- I've done exactly that with a C&R setup on my 69 Camaro LS9 project and on my C6 Z06.

What do these "online" people have against such a good idea?
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      No, of course not. It works fine -- I've done exactly that with a C&R setup on my 69 Camaro LS9 project and on my C6 Z06.

What do these "online" people have against such a good idea?
      Can you post a picture?

Quote Originally Posted by JT
      Can you post a picture?
      Here's the best I have on the 69 Camaro:

Name:  IMG_1678.jpg
Views: 2333
Size:  92.9 KB
      John Parsons

That looks like the same location where the PS cooler is on mine (right above the oil cooler, right below the fill cap). John P, do you recall what size those fittings are? Mine has -6 bungs welded to the tank...
      Bryan (a.k.a. Carbuff)

Exactly the same here: AN6.
      John Parsons

What is the optimum temp for power steering fluid anyway? Would 200-230 be too hot? If using the trans cooler for power steering works for you guys, it would be a nice time & money saver for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by another69 View Post
      What is the optimum temp for power steering fluid anyway? Would 200-230 be too hot? If using the trans cooler for power steering works for you guys, it would be a nice time & money saver for me too.
      180 to 200 is ideal

Fluid working temps should be above 212*. Otherwise they trap water since it won't evaporate from the fluid. 220-230 is a good temp, and most quality lubricants work very well to 270 and higher. The best of the best (Amsoil, Redline, etc.) are usually rated to 320* or higher.
      John Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      Fluid working temps should be above 212*. Otherwise they trap water since it won't evaporate from the fluid. 220-230 is a good temp, and most quality lubricants work very well to 270 and higher. The best of the best (Amsoil, Redline, etc.) are usually rated to 320* or higher.
      The guy at Lee Power Steering said 180-200 in a hotrod magazine article. That's where I got the info. Sounds like it is incorrect.

Right. 180-200 is too cool.

Flash and fire points for high quality power steering fluid is in excess of 400 degrees. 220 is a great temperature to which to design for ordinary street use, and 270 is fine in track vehicles.
      John Parsons

Country Flag: Norway
      WHere would you put the temp sensor? Drill a hole in the reservoir? I have a stock steering setup 70 Camaro but like to drive spirited.

You normally don't see temperature gauges for power steering we just install power steering coolers and go race. I found the Dorale frame rail transmission cooler works the best. It's larger then the power steering cooler but it's still very lightweight and it can be mounted to the front of the radiator. This is the one I used and I got it with AN fittings rather than standard Barb hose clamp fittings.

http://derale.com/products/fluid-coo...tor-kit-detail

Take a look at my YouTube channel under the name jtwoods41978 I know there's a video somewhere on my channel that shows this cooler on the front of my 70 Trans Am.

Quote Originally Posted by kimosabi View Post
      WHere would you put the temp sensor? Drill a hole in the reservoir? I have a stock steering setup 70 Camaro but like to drive spirited.
      You really don't need a power steering cooler for spirited driving you need it for intense auto rossing or road racing. There's really no driving you can do on the street that causes your fluid 2 boiler or overflow. Power steering coolers only really needed in racing situations. I know this from experience not just what I read on the internet.

Here I found the video you can see the Derale frame rail transmission cooler being used as a power steering cooler at the 3-minute 50-second Mark. Derale recommended this cooler for track use over their power steering cooler.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com