Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Hybrid View

69 Camaro trunk battery help!!!!??

Can anyone recommend a battery for my trunk? It's a pro-touring car with lots of electrical demands. I like agm's but not fond of optima batteries due to lots of negative feedback.THANX for lookin at this!

Country Flag: United States
      What's wrong with optima ? I have had one for 6 years trouble free. I'm going to install another one as well.

Country Flag: Canada
      Just my 2 cents, bought optima red top for my z06 vette, so it would not have issues with acid as battery sits over main electrical harnesses..... It blew up and acid everywhere, never had an issue before, or after with any regular battery in same car, I will never buy another.... Also after that any battery I have will be enclosed as it can cause a lot of damage... Just my experience.

I've had good luck with Sears Diehard AGM batteries. I've put them in 3 cars with no issues. AGM's are pricey, but worth it as there is no fluid sloshing around or leakage. A vented battery enclosure is not a bad idea, but I've never seen one.

I have read good things about Odyssey batteries and I'm going to try one in my 69.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Keep the battery properly charged, and you'll have much better luck with all the batteries mentioned above. Nearly all batteries sold in this country are manufactured by Johnson Controls, including optima and Sears. Odysseys are manufactured in Europe and Missouri by EnerSys.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

odyssey
      69 Camaro
      03 z06
      90 mustang coupe

Lightweight Odyssey PC925 in my car for two years now with zero issues. Very pleased with the product.
      66 Chevelle - LS-Leap

LQ9 / T56 Complete - Phase 2 in process!!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...t-LS-Heap-quot
      SC&C, Kore3, Detroit Speed, BBS, Advanced Induction, TickPerf, Currie, Moser, Holley, Hellwig, Edelbrock LS-Kit, Mast, Wilwood, BP-Automotive, StopTech, Ridetech, Hotchkis, UMI, Energy Suspension, AAW, B&B Classic's, PPG, Aeromotive, Canton, C&R, Sparco, Ididit, Spectre, Bridgestone, DakotaDigital, Alpine, RockfordFosgate

My vote is for XS Power.
      1971 Firebird
      2017 Slipstream SS

My son put a optima on his truck, we'll see how it does in the long run. The only problem I've heard about the optima's is that if you let them go completely dead they're bad. I don't think that's entirely true, it does take a special charger to bring them back up, but the place he bought his told him if it ever ran completely down to bring it back to them and they would charge it back up for him.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Just took my third optima redtop back to the store to have them check it out. Can't seem to recover it even with the parallel "trick". I may get a yellow top instead if I can't find an alternative. Only problem is I have the Detroit Speed bracket so I'm kind of married to the 34/78 style/size. Otherwise I would have tried something else 2 batteries ago.
      Robert's 1969 Camaro - 2002 LS1/T56, 10pt cage, Global West Stage III front suspension, HTH truck arm rear suspension, Sprint Cup 9" full-floating rear end, Fikse Mach V 17" up front 18" in the back and still working on it...

Quote Originally Posted by scogin918 View Post
      Just took my third Optima redtop back to the store to have them check it out. Can't seem to recover it even with the parallel "trick". I may get a yellow top instead if I can't find an alternative. Only problem is I have the Detroit Speed bracket so I'm kind of married to the 34/78 style/size. Otherwise I would have tried something else 2 batteries ago.
      Parallel Trick? Whats that?

Has your charging system been investigated? What are the results?

red top's are Starting Batteries

yellow top's are Dual Purpose Start & Deep Cycle.

Blue Tops...... Marine There are Starting and there are Deep Cycle

Quote Originally Posted by Warthog5 View Post
      Parallel Trick? Whats that?
      The parallel trick is to use an old standard lead acid battery and to connect the charger to it, while connecting the AGM battery in parallel. It keeps the charger running where it would otherwise shut off. It brought back an AGM I had from way below 8 volts, when no other method, or charger, worked.

I agree the charging system is suspect. The charging voltage is CRITICAL on these batteries and must be measured at the battery.
      Also, it there is significant parasitic loss, the batteries will be short lived if you don't keep an optima charger/maintainer on them.

I listed all the info optima sent me regarding their batteries. IT's worth a read. Page two of the thread has the Optima and Odyssey replies.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...y-system/page2

My 7 year old Odyssey that I used in my daily driver truck and then Camaro is getting weak after it's sits for a few days now. It's a $250 battery,and has been great. But I went with an Exide AGM in the Camaro trunk this time, $164 from Amazon,at my house the next day.
      I'm pretty sure they are the same as the Sears DieHard Platinum AGM.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had one in m 69 Camaro for about 6-7 years, I wasn’t impressed with the CCAmps, left me stranded on a busy freeway one time and I dumped it. I always kept it charged and never overloaded it with a lot of electrical accessories.

This is related to the thread I have on dual AGM batteries. To get the value out of these batteries, since they cost more but can last longer, you have tighter tolerances than a flooded battery. Optimas need 14.4-14.8 at the battery.

20190520_201547 by F G, on Flickr

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com