Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Muffler recommendation for LS swap

Im posting this in the LS section as Im specifically looking for recommendations based on muffler sound with an LS, not exhaust system routing for a specific platform.

Ive got a '72 C20 Suburban with a 6.0L LS swap with a decent size cam and Holley fuel injection. Right now, Im running Flowmaster's 2.5 inch dual exhaust system with H pipe and 40 series mufflers. The system overall is fine for my daily driver application....my big complaint is the 40 series mufflers. They sound great at idle and really low RPM. Above 2100, they drone horribly up to 3000 RPM where they start to sound like a fat guy farting through a Tuba.

I'm looking for a recommendation for mufflers that have a deep, mellow rumble at idle, quiet and no drone in the mid range cruising RPM, and sound good at WOT without sounding ridiculous.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I have a mild cam ls3 in my camaro and love the magnaflows I have now. Nice idle sound, no drone at cruise and nice WOT sound.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

I was litterly thinking about this! I have borlas on the car now and curious to hear how she sounds when ls is in my car
      LS3 1967 Camaro RS

Country Flag: Canada
      Borla or Magnaflows ... can't go wrong (I've had both)
      Steve

Build it right ... 'The 2nd Time !!'
      69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-Force LS7 - SOLD
      2 Custom FJ40's -SOLD
      Next - "Killer Piggy" & 77' 911 Hotrod

I have a pair of the new Hooker Blackheart 3" mufflers, but have yet to fire it up since the car is still in build mode. I am very interested to see how they sound.

Yea, a lot of the guys over on the Chevy Truck forum recommend either the Borla or the Magna Flow....may give the Borla's a shot....just need to find something in the right dimensions that will slip into my system without any major modification

I have DynoMax Superturbos and they are just about right in terms of noise/ cam sound. Kind of big though, at least they seem big to me (but I'm not an expert).
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

on a related note research tells me an ls376 that hit ~6K rpm and makes ~500 hp is on the cusp of needing 3" pipe... sound right ?
      From a place you will not see comes a sound you will not hear....

67 Camaro In progress

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Tap-67-camaro

On my 70 C-10, I had an x pipe and magnaflows. Truck sounded perfect.

One more vote for Magnaflows. My '02 Collector Edition Trans Am sounded HORRIBLE with 40 series flowmasters. Swapped them out for Magnaflows and the sound was much better.
      Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

Which magnaflows?
      From a place you will not see comes a sound you will not hear....

67 Camaro In progress

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Tap-67-camaro

Pypes Race Pro...

My Cutlass isn't an LS but I can safely say for performance and sound quality the Race Pro has beaten everything else I've ever tried. They really let the cam noise through without the volume of the Flowmaster 40. And wide open they rip! Part throttle cruise is a dream in my car. Couldn't have ask for better.

I have the whole kit from Pypes... 3.5" X pipe with 3.5" race pros dumped before rear axle, all stainless.
      1972 Cutlass Supreme - 468 Big Block Olds

Dynomax Race Bullets. Best sound ever

The Flowmaster series 40 you guys are referring to, You sure its not the super 44's ?? The 40 series is the Delta Flow (reduced interior noise). Just curious.

Yes, you are correct....they were actually the 44s. I just got them pulled off this weekend and have the Borlas ready to go back on....I went with the Borla over anything else based on recommendations and the size was almost an exact match for the flowmasters, so no need to reconfigure the rest of the exhaust set up. Ill post impressions once I get this thing back on the road. Right now Im in the middle of building the entire brake system.

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by FLYNAVY53 View Post
      Yes, you are correct....they were actually the 44s. I just got them pulled off this weekend and have the Borlas ready to go back on....I went with the Borla over anything else based on recommendations and the size was almost an exact match for the flowmasters, so no need to reconfigure the rest of the exhaust set up. Ill post impressions once I get this thing back on the road. Right now Im in the middle of building the entire brake system.
      You will love the Borla's ... great choice
      Steve
      Build it right ... 'The 2nd Time !!'
      69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-Force LS7 - SOLD
      2 Custom FJ40's -SOLD
      Next - "Killer Piggy" & 77' 911 Hotrod

Black widow are good for ls motors, they sound good.im running spin tech and I'm very happy. Everyone runs flow masters or magnaflow

Mufflers thay came with my dynatech exhaust sounds great. Not loud at all but when your getting on it then it opens up.

Muffler recommendation for LS swap

Stuff the Largest walker dyno max you can fit under it, X-pipe, j-tubes, and add elec cut outs for when feeling rowdy.

Well, I finally got the car back on the road and went on a 6 hour road trip this weekend with the Borlas.....not a fan. They sound terrible at idle. I don't know what it is, but there is a horrible reverberation below 1000 RPM that you can feel in your ear drum....almost like when someone only has one window cracked in the car at highway speed and you can feel the fluttering in your ear.

They're good for putting around town but again, once you get up to cruising RPM, they're still very loud...although at least they don't drone. They sound great on acceleration, but the noise at 2000 RPM at 65 mph is still waaaaayyyy too much for what Im looking for.

Any other suggestions? I've heard multiple good reviews of the Black Widow mufflers, but I'm concerned that those might also be too loud for a long distance driver, and I hate to gamble another $300 on mufflers I haven't heard in person.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com