Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      I have the Magnaflow 2 1/2 x pipe system on my Chevelle. Not too many miles on it but on trips you will have to talk really loud to hear your rider. Great in town and idle and on the dyno from the outside

Quote Originally Posted by stuckonstupid View Post
      Black widow are good for ls motors, they sound good.im running spin tech and I'm very happy. Everyone runs flow masters or magnaflow
      Sorry to hijack, what motor do you have them on and what size pipe/ position in vehicle?

I have 4 Spin techs on my 548 BBC, car sounds great, no drone. Even with windows open not insanely loud, thinking of taking two off and putting higher flowing in place.

I'm happy with the Dynomax Ultra-Flows I installed on my Chevelle. They took away all of the drone I was dealing with and sound great when you get on it.
      1970 Chevelle: 6.0 L96, T56, Strange 9 Inch, Ridetech Coilovers, Wilwood brakes

1978 Firebird: 6.0 LQ4, T56

2007 Sierra 2500HD LBZ

Muffler sound is really subjective, the best thing you can do is go to car shows/cars n' coffee's and see who's running a similar setup and what they have for an exhaust.

With that said, I have a 2.5" Magnaflow X-Pipe system and it sounds really good to me. Mellow at idle, and pretty loud at WOT, you can talk over it when cruising, but it's definitely still there.

Here's a youtube video from a track day last fall when I had a mic near the exhaust, you can hear it at wide open, vs off the gas, cruising, etc.

Maybe I'm alone on this but I love the flowmaster sound on an LS swap. I'd try the 50 series delta flow.

Country Flag: Canada
      I have Black Widows Pro-Venom 250's now on my camaro ... WAY louder than the Borla's
      Your like getting some kind of bad resonance that is causing vibration which may not be a muffler issue

Steve
      Build it right ... 'The 2nd Time !!'
      69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-Force LS7 - SOLD
      2 Custom FJ40's -SOLD
      Next - "Killer Piggy" & 77' 911 Hotrod

Hooker maxflow mufflers. I put them on everything i own after trying just about everything out there. Everything from a 4.3l s10 blazer (rock cralwer), chevy pickups of various years (ls and sbc), 2007 suburban with cylinder deactivation (notorious for drone), 66 chevelle with 6.0 swap, and many more. Got a set waiting to go on my 71 nova with a 6.0 here shortly also.

Great tone at idle, not super loud but you can definetely tell they arent stock mufflers.
      Great sound while accelerating
      No reasonance or really any noise for that matter at cruise
      Get nice and loud when you really nail it.

Best of both worlds in my opinion, i cant stand the drone at cruise that 98% of aftermarket mufflers have.

I'd say MF as well. You might like their XL. I run one of their XL's on my 5.3 Tahoe and it sounds really good. More aggressive chamber sound compared to their standard muffler. If you get drone, the easiest way to get rid of it is to run another smaller diameter MF more towards the rear. Sadly, it's going to be very hard to get an aggressive sound without any drone. Gibson used to claim very thick shells to kill drone, not sure if they still do. Another option as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FLYNAVY53 View Post
      Well, I finally got the car back on the road and went on a 6 hour road trip this weekend with the Borlas.....not a fan. They sound terrible at idle. I don't know what it is, but there is a horrible reverberation below 1000 RPM that you can feel in your ear drum....almost like when someone only has one window cracked in the car at highway speed and you can feel the fluttering in your ear.

They're good for putting around town but again, once you get up to cruising RPM, they're still very loud...although at least they don't drone. They sound great on acceleration, but the noise at 2000 RPM at 65 mph is still waaaaayyyy too much for what Im looking for.

Any other suggestions? I've heard multiple good reviews of the Black Widow mufflers, but I'm concerned that those might also be too loud for a long distance driver, and I hate to gamble another $300 on mufflers I haven't heard in person.
      Why not add some Vibrant Performance Resonators to the system. I added them to my 3" system behind my Shafiroff 540 Ultra Street with Black Widow Pro Venoms. Really did a nice job, and very good looking.

Have any of you guys heard a ls without a h,x, or y in the exhaust?

Quote Originally Posted by oldstv View Post
      Have any of you guys heard a ls without a h,x, or y in the exhaust?
      Yes sounded like a old farm truck.

Quote Originally Posted by rennat_2006 View Post
      Did it really? I was thinking about trying it....maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by rennat_2006 View Post
      Can attest to this.

I hate exhaust crossovers though, lots of work for 0 performance gain.

I did a Holley fuel injection and exhaust system on my 1970 Buick GS. The car had 2.5 from the headers back with FM and a x pipe. It now has 3" from the headers back with no crossover using Dynomax mufflers and I kind of like the way it sounds. That system makes the engine sound like the compression is much higher than it is and less even from side to side which I know is the way engines sounded before corssovers became so popular.

Anyone use Venom 250's ??

I agree Exhaust is very subjective. Just because one guy loves his sound doesn't mean you will. Just like no two people like the radio volume at the same level. Then there is the fact that every tiny change in the exhaust effects the sound. Pipe size, muffler length, car body type, crossover type all play a role in the sound. The only advice I can give is keep trying stuff. Good luck.
      Some times I'm fast sometimes I'm half-fast

Quote Originally Posted by l2azorback View Post
      Why not add some Vibrant Performance Resonators to the system. I added them to my 3" system behind my Shafiroff 540 Ultra Street with Black Widow Pro Venoms. Really did a nice job, and very good looking.

Would love to hear the sound of this. Would adding these cause alot of restriction and go loss?

I have Borla pro xs behind an LS3. Replaced Magnaflows with an H pipe when I did the torque arm rear. Currently no H pipe. Both on the same engine, no changes other than exhaust. I really hate the Borlas at this point, there is a really loud popping sound at certain points during hard acceleration. I chased the issue, and even replaced a muffler that was thought to be faulty. I may try to add an H pipe or just go back to the Magnaflow.

Quote Originally Posted by another69 View Post
      I have Borla pro xs behind an LS3. Replaced Magnaflows with an H pipe when I did the torque arm rear. Currently no H pipe. Both on the same engine, no changes other than exhaust. I really hate the Borlas at this point, there is a really loud popping sound at certain points during hard acceleration. I chased the issue, and even replaced a muffler that was thought to be faulty. I may try to add an H pipe or just go back to the Magnaflow.
      I've got the Borla Pro XS mufflers in 3" behind an LS3/525 with an X-pipe and full exhaust. I love the sound. In the city the sound is mild and on the highway, the same holds true but there is a point where some resonance is inevitable. You might check your tune as some if not all of the popping might possibly be "tuned out". I had my engine tuned and afterwards had no popping, however, I needed to reroute the air intake which resulted in some restriction which introduced some popping on deceleration (the more severe the decel, the more popping occurred). I opened up the air intake and that drastically decreased the popping but I need to have the tune adjusted and I believe it'll all go away again. Below is a link to one of my YouTube videos...

https://youtu.be/1Uhm-MHwkdc
      Shane
      #theanchorholds
      68 Camaro build thread:
      http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

1st off, your car is really nice!

I think I may have heard some popping in the video but hard to tell - can you confirm? I took some Gopro videos & the popping sound is way more apparent inside the car than outside of my car.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com