Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

How much cooling is really needed?

LS3 swap into a 1st gen Camaro. Dry sump oil, DSE rack. With my original SBC setup and Unisteer rack, I ran a simple aluminum radiator with a single fan, and an external plate & fin engine oil cooler. The motor never got too hot, but the steering fluid got above 200- even with a small air to fluid cooler.

My question is will the same radiator and engine oil cooler that kept my 425ish HP Gen 1 SBC be enough to cool off my dry sump 500 HP LS3? The other question is, will I need a cooler with the front mount DSE rack?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by another69 View Post
      LS3 swap into a 1st gen Camaro. Dry sump oil, DSE rack. With my original SBC setup and Unisteer rack, I ran a simple aluminum radiator with a single fan, and an external plate & fin engine oil cooler. The motor never got too hot, but the steering fluid got above 200- even with a small air to fluid cooler.

My question is will the same radiator and engine oil cooler that kept my 425ish HP Gen 1 SBC be enough to cool off my dry sump 500 HP LS3? The other question is, will I need a cooler with the front mount DSE rack?

Thanks.
      I think your existing radiator should be fine. If your steering fluid is getting too hot, then I suggest a bigger PS cooler.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Ok, I was looking at C&R stuff, and they make a fluid to fluid power steering cooler that fits inline with a radiator hose. Maybe I will just add that? Their radiator modules look really nice too. I'm just not sure if I would want to go fluid to fluid with the engine oil cooler in case of a leak... but it would simplify things.

For now maybe I will just add the steering cooler, assuming it is needed with the DSE rack.

if you autocross or track the car you need to cool everything, My car has a separate oil cooler, and a power steering cooler both with their own fans, and completely apart from the radiator

I do track the car, just not often enough!
      How hot is too hot for steering fluid?

Rod, What do you run for a radiator and fans? yours is an LS set up isnt it?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com