Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Late model RAM 1500 handling project

hello pro touring! So I've been retired from the USN for about 29 days now and have been busy modifying my truck to hopefully be a sweet street handler and "maybe" part time autocrosser.
      I essentially started with "off the shelf" suspension components "for the most part"......and I'm currently in the evaluate/dial-in everything stage.

To get the thread going here is what I started with..........

Belltech 2/4 drop kit:
      rear springs are progressive
      rate 1: 88lbs in.
      rate 2: 225lbs in.
      front springs 800lbs in.

rear suspension adjustable arms and panhard bar

1 1/2" front swaybar

1 1/4" rear swaybar

305/50VR20 rears
      285/50VR20 fronts

before pic

After pics:

some details:

I chose bilstein B8 5125 series shocks that I had to slightly modified to fit......

front shocks

I received my QA1 3/4" OD T-bar kits today to fit inside the 3/4" ID Bilstein hour glass urethane shock bushings so I can finally mount the 360/80 digressive valve 5125 shocks up front.

problem is the urethane bushings are about 6mm too wide (37mm total width) to fit into the c-clips of the T-Bar

so....

this is what I'm going to do...........I have this old roto zip tool I literally use for next to nothing, its probably 10years old and only used twice.

the plan is to mount a 3/4" OD sanding drum inside the bushing, lock the tool down in a vice, and spin the bushing at high rpm, while i carefully shave 3mm off each side so I can utilize the c-clips as designed for an overall width of 31mm
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Bushings are 36.8mm, distance between C clips 31.7mm, going to shoot for 31.9mm for a slight bushing preload.

used 2500rpm drill motor instead of the 30,000 rpm roto zip

Comparison shot of the bilsteins vs stock shock before install:

installed with no issues but I did have to round file (clean up) the ends of the T-Bars to fit the lower A-arm

pic of the rear suspension setup:

for the rear swaybar I did not purchase one made for the Ram 1500. In order to get it mounted to the axle I had to make some adapter plates, easy enough, as it was essentially a flat metal plate with four holes drilled into them. I moved the mounting location 3" inboard on each side and 1" down. Here is what I'll be making as a starting point:

This particular pic is "not to scale"

I ended up using my dremel with 1/8" drill bit and the slide portion of the router head left loose so I could use it as a short travel plunge.......I coated the outside with urethane grease so it moved a little smoother...........I'll be damned if these holes aren't better than 1/64" accuracy both sides! Now "I will" use the drill motor with a step bit and finish the holes........................

test fit on the adapters is good

rear swaybar installed:

Country Flag: Germany
      Subscribed! Definitely my kind of project. Are these the original 20x9 wheels?

1985 Dodge Power Ram W250 3/4t 360/518/241
      2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SRT-10 505/T56/D60 small upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by kingcrunch View Post
      Subscribed! Definitely my kind of project. Are these the original 20x9 wheels?
      They are the stock 20x8

Thanks, i did not know they were 20x8 on the newer models, i just had in mind that the earlier models had 20x9s.
      How does this chassis ride? I have been thinking about these four-link Rams for a while now and havent had the opportunity to talk to an owner.

well there are both 20x8's and 20x9's available....both 5 spoke.....slightly different styling.....I went with the el'cheapo express so those get the 20x8's.

It feels sporty, I'm still trying to gather all my data points but I can tell you she is pretty solid in corners, I still get some body roll, and by some I mean very little but its there; which from what I understand is desirable to have some on trucks because it helps them corner due to or uneven weight bias and high roll center (may be interpreting that wrong)

I don't think I will realize the true beauty of this setup until I get a limited slip rear diff......there are enough situations where having more drive would help out quite a bit.....the wider and stickier tires helped out there as well.

INOP, the belltech springs are a little on the soft side up front but as long as she's only a DD that works out just fine I think (for now anyway) and may actually help traction but I still have more to evaluate there as well.

so that's about it for now, truck feels very precise, ride is firm but not harsh, very enjoyable to drive!

Getting some clunks here and there in the rear which I'm associating to the Spohn Del-Sphere joints.....although I'm not entirely sure....may have to hook up my go pro and figure that dynamic out.....on smooth roads no big deal, but on the bumpy stuff it gets a little annoying if I'm being honest.

all in all, I consider myself at sort of a beginning point and now have to further develop my thoughts on how the truck handles and where I'd like her to be.....if that makes sense.

Nice is it 2 or 4wd?
      From a place you will not see comes a sound you will not hear....

67 Camaro In progress

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Tap-67-camaro

Quote Originally Posted by XLexusTech View Post
      Nice is it 2 or 4wd?
      thanks man, 2wd

Thank you very much. Looking forward to see more of it and what you're changing on it.
      I must say, if that truck was available with the 6.4, i would not have started my '85 D150 build.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcrunch View Post
      Thank you very much. Looking forward to see more of it and what you're changing on it.
      I must say, if that truck was available with the 6.4, i would not have started my '85 D150 build.
      I'll be sure to update the thread as I make changes. BTW, I'm on page 7 of your build thread, good stuff brother!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com