Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by T_Raven View Post
      Nice project. My 67 was a regular straight 6 car. I drove it with that for a while. Kinda cool for a straight 6. My 68 is a sprint but one of the previous owners put a 400 in it. I did track down and bought the engine that came out of it, but unfortunately the block doesn't match the car. It looks like someone swapped in a regular long block, but the intake and carb are there. Not that I care about numbers matching, I just figured I'd sell it as a numbers matching car and buy another one to modify.

Your sprint engine should be worth some money. I'll probably put mine back in the car to play with until I build the car how I want it and then sell the sprint stuff.
      Do you have any idea what a Sprint engine is worth? Granted mine is not what you would call "show quality," but it runs and most of the original parts are there. I haven't run into many Pontiac experts out here, and the ones I do know have zero experience with the 6 cylinder cars.

I have a small hoard of these motors, related parts and a 69 sprint firebird to top it off. Theses are very cool motors with a real awesome story. They are not worth much, the market for them is just not there.A couple of years ago i bought 3 motors, 2 of which where sprints (one was even a ultra rare 69 manual) for $300. if you want to know more about these motors and what you can do to them there is a sprint forum (pontiac overhead cam six forum) its pretty much dead at this point but their is a couple of real nice knowledgeable guys left on there and some really good articles on what these motors can really do.

Ok, its been a while since I last posted an update. I had a busy holiday season, and finding time to work on the car with the baby has been more difficult than I anticipated. I've been averaging less than 2 hours a week on the Firebird, up until about last month when I was finally able to dedicate some time and get a lot of work done. I haven't imported the pictures from my camera yet, but I've completed all of the driver's side sheet metal (inner/outer rockers, door reinforcement, and side cowl). I'm finishing up the passenger's side tomorrow (pretty much the same as the drivers side except I was able to salvage and re-use my original inner rocker). I'll post some pictures with specifics tomorrow, but I'm just glad to be done with rockers.

I also posted my engine and transmission to Craig's List, hopefully someone comes to take those off of my hands pretty soon. This weekend I will start the rest of the disassembly so I can get the floor out. I'll be going the full floor route, which should be easier (at least cleaner) than piecing the floor together from patch panels. I'm debating if I am going to do the firewall at the same time, but right now I'm leaning toward doing the floor and leaving the front unwelded so I can then remove the firewall and replace it. I think it will be easier to maintain good measurements if I only do one piece at a time, thoughts? Also, I'm moving to California in June, so I need to make sure the car is assembled enough to be shipped, which may drive the decision as to how much I tear out right now. More updates soon.

Lots of progress this week. My replacement floor pan from AMD showed up, so I spent some time disconnecting brake lines and the other few things still attached to the bottom of the car. I also found a buyer for the Sprint engine and transmission, they are coming by on Saturday to pick everything up. I spent most of the week disconnecting disconnecting plumbing, the driveshaft (some of my bolts were frozen solid, took forever to remove), and various additional parts. Hopefully the engine pull goes smoothly so I can get the subframe off and start working on the floor.
      Name:  IMG_0690.JPG
Views: 1341
Size:  79.0 KB

The engine's out of the car! It took about 2 hours yesterday, after hurdling a few small roadblocks. We ended up having to remove the aftermarket Hurst shifter, the engine mounts on both the engine and on the subframe, as well as part of the exhaust manifold. I have almost everything under the car disconnected minus the brake lines, so once I drill out some spot welds I'll be ready to swap in the new floorpan. One area of concern is that my driver's side frame rail has a decent amount of rust around area where the forward leaf spring mount attaches, so I might need to address that before replacing the floor.

Name:  IMG_0691.JPG
Views: 1278
Size:  144.3 KB

I know this is counter to the norm, but I have thought many times that a turbocharged inline six would be a very unique power plant. I have envisioned a number of times a full on Pro-Touring suspension build with a stock body and a blown inline six. Probably just more of a mental excersise but it would certainly attract attention.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      I know this is counter to the norm, but I have thought many times that a turbocharged inline six would be a very unique power plant. I have envisioned a number of times a full on Pro-Touring suspension build with a stock body and a blown inline six. Probably just more of a mental excersise but it would certainly attract attention.
      I will admit that I had considered going a turbo 6 route with this car. However, with the availability of parts (or lack thereof) for the Pontiac OHC, the lack of community support and the complexity involved I decided that the turbo 6 route would probably be outside of my personal ability. There are other 6 cylinder engines that would probably work, but I'm not smart enough on them to attempt that build. I was talking to the guy that bought my engine/transmission though, and it sounds like most folks who own Pontiac OHC 6 cars have multiple backup engines sitting around just in case they need something.

I'm happy that I was able to sell the engine to someone who is going to use it for an original OHC 6 car. The buyer also indicated that he would be interested in buying my rear axle and suspension when the time comes, since my setup with the dual traction bars and mono leaf springs was only available on the 67 Firebirds. In the end, I look at this as a win/win for everyone.

Nice project you have going.
      I had this with my old engine combo. 250 CI inline Chevy 6 cyl.

With the Paxton it ran mid 12's in the 1/4.

I am currently working on turbocharged inline 250 6 cyl pro-touring .

It's a long term project.

Well I'm finally moved into my house in California, and the Firebird was delivered yesterday so I got straight to work. After removing the doors, trunk, and subframe again I started to tackle the firewall. I ordered a firewall that already has a blank panel for the heater delete. The panel is a Goodmark part, and it actually fits pretty well. The only issues I've found are that the holes for the fender bolts don't line up with the holes on the cowl (apparently a common problem with these parts) and the stamping doesn't perfectly follow the correct contours at the top edge and will require some minor trimming to get everything to match up (no big deal). I'm starting to get a little excited, because after this all I need to do is patch the trunk pan, then I can start doing things that are actual pro-touring mods and not standard restoration/sheet metal stuff. More updates to follow!Name:  IMG_1214.jpg
Views: 1131
Size:  186.1 KB

Well... progress on the firewall has been stalled since I'm still waiting on a shipment of supplies (weld-through primer being one of the things I need). I decided to start tackling the trunk. I made a cardboard template and traced it into the trunk, and then cut the hole about 1" smaller all around (to give some overlap for plug welds). I left the fuel tank support brackets in for the time being. My plan is to weld in the new trunk pan and fuel tank brackets at the same time (brackets are about a week out), but I wanted to use what's left of the existing brackets to help ensure that the trunk pan is aligned and centered correctly. I also noticed that the new trunk pan comes pretty close to the inner wheel houses, so I'm going to have to double check Detroit Speed's mini tub instructions before cutting that area for the trunk, just to make sure I leave myself with enough usable metal to mate against the mini tubs when I get there. Since I'm waiting on supplies/parts, most of this week will just be grinding down welds and ordering parts. More updates soon.

Name:  IMG_1215.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  113.0 KB

Been a while since I posted an updated. I've knocked out a decent amount in the last couple of months. Firewall/trunk are done now. I've also installed minitubs, and removed most of the paint from the the car. I got sidetracked while removing the paint/bondo from the car. A previous quarter panel repair wasn't done well, so I had to grind down some welds and hammer/dolly both quarters to get things to line up correctly.

I'm finally ready to install the rear suspension. All of my parts from Speedtech came in this week. I'll be installing their rear torque arm kit (and eventually their pro touring subframe). The kit I ordered includes ridetech single adjustable coilovers (this car will be more of a daily driver so I just need to be able to dial in the suspension for comfort), as well as a new Ford 9 inch housing (narrowed to 56" from axle flange to axle flange) with matching axle shafts. Everything is in bare metal because I plan on spraying all of the parts with SPI black epoxy primer when I spray the entire car in January. Hopefully I can get everything test fit this weekend so I can get the crossmember welded in. More updates soon.

Name:  IMG_1512.JPG
Views: 967
Size:  108.3 KB

Awesome build. Great to see consistent progress. Also, welcome to CA. You won't miss these winters.

Nice build - where abouts in Cali are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by 76TA View Post
      Awesome build. Great to see consistent progress. Also, welcome to CA. You won't miss these winters.
      Thanks, I'm hoping to have the car ready for paint by May/June. After that, things will move at the pace of my checkbook since I have a lot of major purchases to make (engine, transmission, electrical, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHD View Post
      Nice build - where abouts in Cali are you located?
      Thanks, I'm just outside of Palmdale.

I can’t believe it’s been a year and a half since I last posted an update. Since then I have moved again from California to Florida, had another kiddo (baby girl), bought a 1991 Jeep Wrangler YJ and done almost nothing on the Firebird. I finally got back at it last month and have since assembled and installed a SpeedTech pro touring subframe. This was a relatively easy project, but the difference it makes to the vehicle has really got me excited about finally finishing this car. I still need to install the front Baer brakes and order some new wheels to finish the front end. I just need to get the torque arm powder coated and assemble my Ford 9” and the rear suspension will finally be done. The goal is to get the car to the body shop for some final body work and paint by July. I have accumulated a good amount of time off from work, so this is the perfect time to get back at it. More updates soon.

Name:  A843768E-7508-4A78-A88C-4D8A991CFD2E.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  312.6 KB

Got the front brakes installed today. I was surprised at how easy it was (4 bolts total per side). I’m going to finish up the rear suspension this weekend and order some wheels. More updates to follow.
      Name:  22C938E2-52CA-42FE-8D17-9483A95D15DD.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  237.5 KB

Haven't done much work on the Firebird lately. I did start the work on the rear suspension (nearly done, just need to find another free Saturday to finish it up). I've been searching the area for a good body shop to finish out some of the final sheet metal work and paint it. Unfortunately, after Hurricane Michael last year a lot of the local places switched from classic car restoration to auto body repair (to cash in on that insurance money). I've found a couple of places that are still doing classic cars (both come well recommended), but of course they are back logged with other large projects. I asked both shops if they would be wiling to send someone to stop by for a quote, so hopefully I'll get that done in the next week or two. Hopefully I can find someone soon, the body work (and funds to some extent) are the only things holding me back from getting a new driveline in and getting the car back on the road. In the meantime I've been busy working on my 1991 Jeep Wrangler (one of the many projects I've picked up since starting the Firebird). More updates soon.

Good stuff man, keep the updates coming! Good to see another 1st gen Firebird! I've had terrible luck with paint shops, I really hope you find a good one that doesn't F you around for a year.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

A wise friend of mine once told me, building a car of your dreams is a marathon not a race. So, take your time my Firebird brother. I will be here to enjoy the slow additions you add to this Firebird.

Quote Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post
      Good stuff man, keep the updates coming! Good to see another 1st gen Firebird! I've had terrible luck with paint shops, I really hope you find a good one that doesn't F you around for a year.
      Quote Originally Posted by AtomicFirebird View Post
      A wise friend of mine once told me, building a car of your dreams is a marathon not a race. So, take your time my Firebird brother. I will be here to enjoy the slow additions you add to this Firebird.
      Thanks for reading! I've had a couple people stop by to look at the Firebird, one quoted me an astronomical amount, and the other told me he wasn't interested in doing any resto mod type jobs.................... I have another person coming by on Friday who comes highly recommended by a coworker (this shop did his '71 Cutlass, which needed ALOT more work than the Firebird does). The guy said I might have to wait until September or October though, apparently he doesn't like having more than one or two "projects" sitting around the shop at any time.

I thought I was going to have the rear end buttoned up by the beginning of June, but I got hit with a couple more trips for work and then near the end of June my appendix tried to burst on me. Fortunately, I listened to my wife for once and just went to the doctor, where they quickly diagnosed it as appendicitis and had me in the operating room by lunch time that day. I'm glad I went, if I had waited it probably would have burst and I would have been in for a much more invasive surgery with a much longer recovery time. I haven't been able to do much wrenching for almost 2 weeks (doc said don't be crawling around or lift anything over 15 lbs), but I'm finally back to the point where I can get some things done.

Today I took the factory rear axle / leaf springs off the Firebird for the last time (ignore the oil stained cardboard box in the photo, my 91 Jeep just sprung a gnarly rear main seal leak ). The first time I did that it took me like 6 hours to figure out, this time took me 30 minutes (granted I wasn't fighting rust and seized bolts this time). I have a little surface rust to deal with on the DSE mini tubs I installed but never primed, but that should be an easy kill. I've also started to set out all of the parts for my Ford 9 inch. I have everything except the third member, which should be here this week. Going to drop the torque arm off for PC tomorrow, so I should have everything I need by the weekend. Can't wait to finally be done with the suspension phase of this project!
      Name:  58439170081__72E387EA-EC77-4B17-8D99-EAA203F07E11.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  253.5 KB
      Name:  IMG_1136.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  219.4 KB

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com