Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

315/30R18 Square on 1968 Camaro w/ Stock subframe

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1968 Camaro RS that I autocross regularly in SCCA Solo, CAMT class. I currently am running 245/45R17 squared on 17x8 wheels. In this class tire size is unlimited, Thus I would like to fit more tire. The car weighs 3200 lbs w/o driver and 245s are not enough. I would really like to run square 275/35R18's square soon and I believe I can do it w/o major mods.

I am interested to know if anyone fit 315/30R18 on the FRONT w/ stock subframe and what mods are required to do so. Also suggestions for required mods to fit 275/35r18 on the front are also welcome.

Current pertinent mods include:

~400HP/425 lb-ft gen 1 SBC
      open diff
      4spd Muncie
      SPC adjustable upper a arms w/ Tall howe ball joint
      SPC tubular lower a arms w/ ride height adjustment shims
      DSE 2" lowering coils springs
      DSE 2" lowering leaf springs
      Unisteer power rack&pinion 2.5 turns lock to lock, 2.25 turns before rub on frame
      17x8 Amer. Racing +11mm offset on front wheels
      Hellwig ARBs

Thanks to all in advance for help with this issue.

Regards,

Ryan
      Electrical/Mechanical Engineer
      1968 Camaro RS - Flat Black

you should be able to fit 275 no problem with a 9.5'' wheel. 315 on an 11'' will work as well with the right offset up front and a little rolling of ur fender. For either 275 or 315 you will need to mini tub the rear. I have 315 on front of my nova which has the same subframe as the 1st gen Camaro but it does rub on the subframe once I go past a certain point. For autocross and road racing it is not an issue unless you run a good guys course...

I would be curious to know what mods people are doing to fit a 315 up front. I am running a 265 up front and hit the stock subframe and don't have too much room between the edge and fender.

Quote Originally Posted by 72_Nova View Post
      you should be able to fit 275 no problem with a 9.5'' wheel. 315 on an 11'' will work as well with the right offset up front and a little rolling of ur fender. For either 275 or 315 you will need to mini tub the rear. I have 315 on front of my nova which has the same subframe as the 1st gen Camaro but it does rub on the subframe once I go past a certain point. For autocross and road racing it is not an issue unless you run a good guys course...
      I know I can fit 275/35r18's on the rear no issue, because I have physically bolted some on; 18x9.5 wheel with +14 mm offset I believe. I think 68-72 Novas may be a little more narrow in the rear compared to 67-69 camaros. 275's on the front of my car seems to be a bit more of a challenge, mostly with the rear side of the inner fender. The tire hits the inner fender before the inner lip can contact the frame. I imagine a more positive offset wheel is needed. I have yet to experiment with different wheel widths and offsets. I plan to make or purchase a wheel "test fitter" which would have adjustable width, diameter, and offset and a hub drilled for common 5 lug bolt patterns so fine tune the positioning if the tire.

315s on the front w/ stock frame is a great goal and you seem to have achieved it. What suspension do you use? I am thoroughly impressed if you have use of your inner fenders.

Thank you for the reply, I apologize for the late response.

To help those who may be interested in this topic, I have successfully fitted 275/35R18 tires on a 9.5" wide wheel on my car. Stock subframe, sotck inner fenders, no mini tub, with leafsprings.

If you want more info, reply to this thread.

I am interested; my front suspension is very similar to your original post. Thanks, Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper68 View Post
      To help those who may be interested in this topic, I have successfully fitted 275/35R18 tires on a 9.5" wide wheel on my car. Stock subframe, sotck inner fenders, no mini tub, with leafsprings.

Carl Casanova (CarlC), a longtime forum member and moderator has successfully done the same thing on his car. In fact, I think he now has 285's on all four corners. His old site documented is original effort to fit 275's on a 17" wheel. Still viewable on the wayback machine https://web.archive.org/web/20091026...s.com/casanoc/

It would be great to get an updated guide for folks running 18" wheels. I'm also aware of a 68 Camaro running local autocrosses with 305's on a 19" wheel but he notched his stock subframe.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper68 View Post

I would be stoked on more info. 275’s all around without a mini tub and leaf springs is what I am shooting for. Thanks in advance.

The wheels I purchased are from a company called Kansei. Newer company run by a wheel design engineer. The wheels are made by his partner company Raceline. They have been making offroad racing wheels for years.
      They did a "custom" bolt pattern for me 5x4.75" (5x120.65) and added 60° steel wheel nut seats at no cost which is awesome. No need to drill you wheels yourself in a mill or otherwise.

The wheels at 18x9.5 +22. In the rear I used a 0.5" (13mm) spacer and added a hub centering ring that I made, although it's probably not necessary. The front of my car is probably alot different than most though because of the interesting stuff I did. The hubs I'm using are original 1st gen Camaro Drum hubs. Knocked out the 7/16" studs, drilled and tapped them for 12/2-20 studs, and installed the 3" ARP screw in wheel studs. I am using a C4 J55 rotor (13") and a 2 piston D52 caliper. 52 is the 7.0625" pattern floating caliper that was used on F bodies, A bodies, X bodies, etc from 1965-1976 I believe. To make these work together I made my own caliper bracket.

This somewhat unique front hub assembly is what allows me to use the +22 offset on the Kansei's. Using Wilwood, Baer, or Corvette hubs would likely change what offset you'd need.

I also had to modify my SPC upper control arms. The inboard curved male threaded link was inverted to help clear the wheel barrel. I also had to notch it slightly to clear the upper control arm mounting hron. It has worked great so far. the Tire do rub the frame but I still get about 30° of steering angle. Pictures attached.

Ryan

Name:  IMG_20191228_215029_926.jpg
Views: 1558
Size:  151.0 KB
      Name:  IMG_20191228_215029_924.jpg
Views: 1595
Size:  97.0 KB
      Name:  DSC_0386.jpg
Views: 1529
Size:  178.7 KB
      Name:  IMG_20200114_182535_221.jpg
Views: 2029
Size:  183.9 KB

I've got 275/35/18 on 18x10 wheels on all four corners of my 67 Camaro. Backspace is 5.75"

I did roll the fenders and I have tubular front control arms - but honestly they fit without much hassle.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com