Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      I'm doing this right now with a 8.8 out of a 2002 Mustang GT. If I could do it over again I would get an explorer 8.8 rear instead.

1967 Firebird (current project)
      1967 Firebird (unfinished project SOLD)

Sorry, guys. I missed the posts here.

No, no updates here. I've had some trouble finding a used 8.8 that I liked. I've been pretty close to just biting the bullet and buying new a few times. Just about every thing I've come up with put me at over 1/2 the price of new and required a lot more work. Most of that was due to having trouble finding a usable rear to begin with.

I was also told the Explorer brakes can be a headache when mixed with other fronts. I don't remember the details, but something about the swept area and volume causing trouble during high braking/panic stops.

Country Flag: United States
      Looking at your first post you list the sn95 axle housing as 59.25 inches but from what I found the fox body housing is 59.25 and the 94-98 sn95 is 60.75 in. I went with the 99-04 GT axle and it was 62.5 inches from WMS to WMS. I cut 3 inches out of each side and ordered custom length axles from Moser. You should be able to find 8.8's out of GTs pretty easy on craiglist, that's where I found mine. You could do the explorer axle much cheaper though, I haven't heard about the brake issue so not sure about that.

Here's what I have invested in my setup:

Used 02 GT 8.8 with 28 spline axles, 3.27 gears, trac lok, and disc brakes ($325) used

New Ford 31 spline trac lok (upgraded due to chipped spider gear on 28 spline unit) ($229 shipped)

New Moser custom length 31 spline street axles ($345 shipped)

New bearings and seals (approx $50)
      1967 Firebird (current project)
      1967 Firebird (unfinished project SOLD)

i bought a 2001 8.8 with 40k miles . 59.5 width ,31 spline, posi 3:55 $150.00
      9" ford housing ends $80
      custom axles $400 with bearings drilled 5x4.75
      because of the ford big bearing ends i am running kore3 brackets and ctsv brembro rear calipers and 2010 camaro rear rotors $400 for used rear calipers and new rotors.
      i am going 56 inch rotor to rotor and running dse mini tubs. For a little over $1000.00 is cheap for a complete rear. weld the tubes, ARP main caps studs and a girdle and you have a stout rear end. We did the narrowing but very easy job.
      I have almost $3500 into my QP 9" that was custom built for my 66 skylark.
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-touring-build

follow our high school student build this pro touring nova.

follow us on Facebook
      @Artisanmotoworksclub

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com