Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

GM 600 Steering Box Kits

If you want to upgrade the OEM power steering box or convert to a Power Steering Box on your 1964-’95 RWD GM PASSENGER CAR but don't want to go with a rack and pinion?

No problem, we are now offering the best steering box ever offered by GM- Delphi. The GM “600 series” Power Steering Boxes were originally designed for NASCAR.

The GM 600 Box is slightly lighter than other power steering boxes and is available in several different ratios for optimal steering performance depending on the vehicle; 12:1, 14:1, and 16:1 ratios are available for this steering box. These Power Steering Boxes will accommodate heavier rides with ease as well. We offer this box alone or with the necessary rag-joint (coupler) and adapter fittings that enable you to use your existing sttering hoses.

We also offer the correct GM Type II/TC power steering pump that is internally adjusted for the proper fluid flow and pressure to give you the very best “Box & Pump” steering available.

We are currently offering a 10% discount & FREE SHIPPPING (to lower 48 states only) for a period of 60 days on anything we sell.
      So if you are interested in improving the steering of your ride take a look at our website and use the discount code: PT-10

Last edited by UNISTEER; 09-19-2007 at 08:06 AM.

Country Flag: United States
      Thanks, as you know im in the market for a steering upgrade for my Nova right now, But will this box bolt right up to the frame of my 72 Nova and what sort of bracketry/belt changes are needed to get the pump to bolt up to my small block?? If it can work I will probably go with you guys. That dicount is a really good incentive.
      Brian
      -1972 Nova
      -1968 Camaro
      -1990 Iroc Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 70TWO NOVA
      Thanks, as you know im in the market for a steering upgrade for my Nova right now, But will this box bolt right up to the frame of my 72 Nova and what sort of bracketry/belt changes are needed to get the pump to bolt up to my small block?? If it can work I will probably go with you guys. That dicount is a really good incentive.
      I'm curious as well, would like to do the whole swap on my 71' Nova:
      GM 600 steering box kit, w/ necessary pump and hoses
      71' Nova - LY6, T56

Guys,

If you already have a factory style Saginaw power steering pump (pictured below) and hose all you have to do is buy one of the kits pictured with the rag-joint and adapters for your hoses.

If you currently do not have any pump at all we can set you up with a stock style Saginaw in black or chrome (pictured above) or one of our GEN II set up's. The GEN II is a compact pump that mounts differently than the stock style Saginaw pumps.

The GEN II pump can be configured in a ton of different ways according to your needs:
      • Cast or Polished
      • With Clip-On Reservoir
      • With Remote-Mounted Reservoir
      • Standard Fittings
      • AN Fittings
      • Single Groove V-Belt Pulley
      • Dual Groove V-Belt Pulley
      • Serpentine Pulley

Im looking to do the 600 series gearbox, the gen2 pump (cast) with the clip on reservoir, single groove pulley, and standard lines. Now what kind of fittings are needed with the 600 gearbox (AN??) because you said i would need adapters for stock lines and pump. If I went with the gen2 pump and 600 box would both have AN fitting or how does that work?? And what would all this cost?
      Also why is the gen2 pump better and if I wanted to upgrade later down the road could I??
      Brian
      -1972 Nova
      -1968 Camaro
      -1990 Iroc Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 70TWO NOVA
      what kind of fittings are needed with the 600 gearbox (AN??) because you said i would need adapters for stock lines and pump. If I went with the gen2 pump and 600 box would both have AN fitting or how does that work?? And what would all this cost?
      Also why is the gen2 pump better and if I wanted to upgrade later down the road could I??
      Brian,

If you already have a factory PS pump all you need to buy is a 600 series kit with the rag-joint and adapters (pictured above).

There is no advantage to a GEN II pump concerning performance when using a 600 series box or any factory gear box for that matter.

I think you just got yourself a sale! Could you please give me a price quote with the 10% discount on your 600 box, rag joint and the necessary line adapters to fit a 1972 Nova. Thank you so much, you have been a great help!
      Brian
      -1972 Nova
      -1968 Camaro
      -1990 Iroc Camaro

Do you have anything for us manual guys?
      Brad
      68 Camaro - Procharged LQ4 coming - Currie 9" narrowed, bagged, lays frame, BMW projector HID's LED tails, 18"s, lexus center console, seat warmers, A/C... Mini-tubbing in progress!!

07 BMW 750li -loaded

Quote Originally Posted by UNISTEER
      ...No problem, we are now offering the best steering box ever offered by GM- Delphi. The GM “600 series” Power Steering Boxes were originally designed for NASCAR...
      Physically how does this compare to the 66 Nova stock steering box - as in would it provide any additional header clearance? Thanks. -Bob

You mention 12:1, 14:1 and 16:1 was never sure but is it the larger the number as in 16:1 is faster or quicker turning than 12:1 or is it the other way around. Sorry for the dumb question was never sure. Each time I have asked a friend they aren't sure or give me the balank stare.

opposite, 12:1 is quicker.
      Brian
      -1972 Nova
      -1968 Camaro
      -1990 Iroc Camaro

It is the ratio of turns of the box input to turns of the pitman arm or output shaft. Just think that if your wheels turn 45* in either direction, for 90* total left to right (1/4 circle), and the steering wheel turns 3 times lock to lock. this is a 12:1 ratio. More steering wheel turns for the same output is a slower (numerically higher) box. i.e. 4 turns lock to lock would be 16:1, 3.5 would be 14:1.
      Nick R.
      69 Camaro - 383, 700R4, 12 bolt 3.55, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Global West, Morris Classic
      08 HHR SS - Still Stock for now
      Do you still believe in all the things that you stood by before? Are you out there on the front lines, or at home keeping score?
      Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate? Would you rather be the architect of what we might create?

thanks guys

thanks for the education. I appreciate it .

I can't wait until I can afford to get rid of my Steeroids rack and pinion in my Camaro. The bump-steer is unbearable.

I'm considering just installing a crappy old original steering box to get rid of it.

Tony Huntimer
      http://www.goodies-speedshop.com/
      @Camaro.Family Camaros
      1967 #QuickChangeCamaro - SpeedTech Suspension LS1/T56
      1967 #CFBee - SpeedTech Suspension SuperCharged LS3/T56
      1969 #TaxReturnCamaro Art Morrison Suspension 496/T56
      1986 #IROCdaily - Stock IROC

Quote Originally Posted by whytry
      Do you have anything for us manual guys?
      Brad,

We offer a Manual rack for your car, but unfortunately nothing in a performance-oriented manual gear box.

Tony,

As they say..... "once you go rack you never go back" Unfortunately for you you haven't really had the pleasure of experiencing a R&P set up w/o the bumpsteer issues.

Get in touch with me when you are ready to swap the Steeroids out.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyHuntimerRaceHome
      I can't wait until I can afford to get rid of my Steeroids rack and pinion in my Camaro. The bump-steer is unbearable.

I'm considering just installing a crappy old original steering box to get rid of it.

Tony Huntimer
      http://www.goodies-speedshop.com/

A few questions if you don't mind.

What is the flowrate of the "Low Flow" pumps? I've had good luck with 1450psi @ 3gpm.

Also, many of us use the LS1 F-body accessory drive. The pump in the first post will not work due to the vertical mounting bolt arrangement. Do you offer another pump/reservoir combination that will work and offer -6 out and return?

Thanks.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Unisteer,

I've been unhappy with the Steeroids rack from the first day I actually drove the car with it installed because of the bump-steer and the amount that it hangs down.

As you know...the Steeroids rack hangs down much lower than yours (yours is almost nothing)... I drive my car everyday so I periodically smack the Steeroids rack bracket on uneven road surfaces. Well, I hit a mammoth pothole this morning and whacked it really bad. My alignment is way out now. I can tell that I'm having severe toe-out issues. I'm debating having it re-aligned or tweaking the bracket back into place and welding it in so it won't move again.

I wish your kit had been on the market when I bought mine. I know that I'd be much happier.

I'm publically appologizing to everyone who bought my Pro-Touring book and bought a Steeroids rack for your Camaro because I included pictures of installing it. I'm sorry! If you have not purchased a steering rack for your Camaro yet and you are planning on upgrading, buy a Unisteer rack and pinion. I have not driven a Unisteer equipped Camaro, but it's got to be better than mine.

...steering impaired,
      Tony Huntimer

Disclaimer...Maybe the Steeroids kits for other models of cars are better than the one for the first gen Camaro, but I don't know.
      @Camaro.Family Camaros
      1967 #QuickChangeCamaro - SpeedTech Suspension LS1/T56
      1967 #CFBee - SpeedTech Suspension SuperCharged LS3/T56
      1969 #TaxReturnCamaro Art Morrison Suspension 496/T56
      1986 #IROCdaily - Stock IROC

Whats the price on these boxes?

Thanks
      George
      `67 Buick GS 400 Hdtp,494ci Stage 2 BBB,5-speed TKO-600,"The Black Widow"

Quote Originally Posted by CarlC
      A few questions if you don't mind.

What is the flowrate of the "Low Flow" pumps? I've had good luck with 1450psi @ 3gpm.

Also, many of us use the LS1 F-body accessory drive. The pump in the first post will not work due to the vertical mounting bolt arrangement. Do you offer another pump/reservoir combination that will work and offer -6 out and return?

Thanks.

Our hi-flow pumps are 3 GPM and 1200-1300 psi

Our remote pumps have -6 AN on pressure side & -10 AN on the return. The housing is the same as the OEM C4 & up Vette pumps.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com