Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

The Blue Mistress 1974 Trans AM

I'll be the first to admit that I don't dig the naming of go-fast cars with goofball names...If its not a monster truck it shouldn't have a cartoony name.

That said...My father in law has referred to this car as his "Blue Mistress" since I met him, so... dammit... i'll conform.

It is a 1974 Pontiac Trans AM that I found as a 400 4speed. The car belongs to my father in law, but it spends most its time at my house as I have somehow become in charge of all the maintenance, upgrades and "as needed" restoration.

The car was being driven by my father in law while he was still dating his soon to be wife (my wifes mom). There are some incredibly funny stories from the early years of the car. Open beers in the car during windows down 100mph blasts, and off the road spinouts into ditches included.

Its not matching numbers, Its got a 30footer paint job, and the interior was "restored" by my wife when she was 13. (picture new carpet trimmed with a steak knife!)

All that said, we're catching back up on it. I'm about 80% finished with a "driver restoration". Fresh suspension, rear axle, mildly hotrodded fresh motor, rebuilt front suspension, brakes and steering etc...

One of my favorite wedding pics from MY wedding...

So hillbilly its awesome...

It had gotten a "Hollywood restoration" for the wedding pics. I fixed the broken motormounts, rusted out exhaust, and rusted rear quarters/ lower b pillars. I ran out of time to properly block the car, and had to have it painted and stickered for the wedding photos. It was important to the inlaws... so it was important to me. Someday it will get the blocking and repaint that it deserves... for now, its getting all the goods to make it drive nice again....and go faster, turn harder and stop better than any 74' did from from the factory of course.

My wife and I periodically took the car on "date nights" after the wedding. One evening we were cruising down CA 56 when a giant mushroom cloud of white smoke appeared behind the car. Blessing in disguise really, as the suspension was SHOT, only "some" of the electrical worked, and it was PAINFULLY slow.

BOXES of speed parts. My father in law basically gave me the stipulation that he wanted a justafyable "455" on the shaker... and said, "go"...

"DRIVER" cleanup. It will stay true to era-ish in appearance per Father in Law's wishes... but will be better than era' per the mechanics wishes!
      Fun suspension parts list includes urethane bushings, hotchkis springs, bilstien shocks, Detroit Speed solid chassis bushings/subframe connectors etc..

My best bud asking me to play instead of wrench..

Satin black makes evering beautiful.

"The Precious"...Mild Iron Head 461ci 500hp@flywheel per Sandoval

As it sits as we wait for odds and ends...

This car is proof of CARma... I was very vocal about hating this body style car ever since I started liking cars. I met my wife and was forced spend HOURS with this TransAm. I bitched and whinned and complained at first. But a few years later... I. LOVE. THIS. CAR. Can't wait to try it out with proper power and gearing!
      Last edited by LERM; 09-19-2016 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Gentleman Jack soaked typing...
      CAM-T Autocross Fox Mustang
      LX mustang autocross on the "cheap"...
      1953 PickEmUp
      1953 Chev Pickemup

Nice...a 74 TA build. Look forward to seeing this come together. Looks to be a solid driver build. This car should be driven anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by qnitro View Post
      Awesome build... looks eerily familiar
      Outstanding looking ride sir. I would have picked an LS as well... but, the cars owner would hear nothing of it. Just the same, now that we have the cast iron monster 461 I dig it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by NY337 View Post
      Nice...a 74 TA build. Look forward to seeing this come together. Looks to be a solid driver build. This car should be driven anyway.
      And driven it will be. I miss driving it. I look forward to driving it all freshened up.
      1953 PickEmUp
      1953 Chev Pickemup

I wasn't a big fan of this body style until recently. Seems like everyone who had a T/A had a 77-81. These have grown on me because you don't see them everywhere. Looking pretty good so far!

So I dropped the ball with this thread.

Wasn't intentional...life just got in the way.

Luckily, before life interrupted garage time completely...
      A seriously bitchin 461ci Pontiac found its way into the car:

Some extra stopping power was added:

It got new shoes:

And it moved under its own power. First stop? Fuel and tacos of course.

Since then its been used for the occasional grocery/Slurpee run. Im slowly wearing the father in law down on the idea some autocross/drag stip days.
      1953 PickEmUp
      1953 Chev Pickemup

Quote Originally Posted by LERM View Post
      So I dropped the ball with this thread.

Wasn't intentional...life just got in the way.

Luckily, before life interrupted garage time completely...
      A seriously bitchin 461ci Pontiac found its way into the car:

Some extra stopping power was added:

It got new shoes:

And it moved under its own power. First stop? Fuel and tacos of course.

Since then its been used for the occasional grocery/Slurpee run. Im slowly wearing the father in law down on the idea some autocross/drag stip days.
      Oh my even more awesomness. Damn this is beautiful.
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here
      check out Opentracker Racing Products

Looks great. Looking forward to drag strip results!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Gorgeous 74! You've got some serious hardware for it, judging from what I saw in the pics-- it'll do well in an Auto-X environment

Very nice. I love this body style. You've done a great job, a good balance of restoration and tasteful updates.

Awesome, I miss driving my 74. It has been 7 years as life and work have taken precedence over getting it going again. Very nice that you include the kids in your cruise time.

Quote Originally Posted by qnitro View Post
      Awesome build... looks eerily familiar

Hello,

Did you build this car or purchase it? Would like to know any history about the car if you know any. Looks like an incredible car

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com