Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Stainless Steel Exhaust

May be a dumb question, but besides aesthetics and longevity are there any other advantages to stainless steel exhaust over aluminized steel? What about sound difference? Does SS sound any different(better/worse) than aluminum? Thanks!

Country Flag: United States
      That's an interesting question, but one that I fell really comes down to personal opinion. I've heard all different types of exhaust systems and to my ear each one sounds different attached to different engines. I can't say that I've ever done a side by side comparison on the same car with 2 different types of materials with the exact same muffler style to know if there is an actual difference.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Quote Originally Posted by Craig@Bowler View Post
      That's an interesting question, but one that I fell really comes down to personal opinion. I've heard all different types of exhaust systems and to my ear each one sounds different attached to different engines. I can't say that I've ever done a side by side comparison on the same car with 2 different types of materials with the exact same muffler style to know if there is an actual difference.
      It would be awesome someone took the time to compare a SS & AS exhaust on the same engine.

Stainless Steel Exhaust

I couldn't see them having different sounds given the same size and both being mandrel bent.
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz Performance View Post
      I couldn't see them having different sounds given the same size and both being mandrel bent.
      Agreed. Mufflers will effect sound but given the same diameter and shape I don't see how pipe material would make any difference.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com