Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 72 TA (clone)

Country Flag: United States
      I think I am going to have to. Replace the valve covers- just never cared for these.

I'm with you. Those are a more towards the colored fake braided line type look.
      Stock chrome is always nice. I have a set of fabricated covers that are black powder coated. But I don't have the engine in a car yet so not sure if I will like them or not. Just depends on what style of look you want in the engine bay.
      My '67 Nova Build Thread http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...d.php?t=218954

'73 TA build. @projectarrowhead73

This motor definitely looks like it belongs in a teal 90's street rod!

Someone spent money on this motor- I would like to think that the shop put a little research in it to make A solid combination. This leaves two options:

1) keep the polished intake, install fabricated valve covers painted engine color.

2) replace the intake, paint the intake engine color and install fabricated aluminum valve covers.

On a side note when buying valve covers that do not have a breather hole do you just drill a hole wherever you want it? I feel like the car will need a breather and I don't want to pull the valve cover every time I change the oil.

Thanks for all the comments- helping me figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
      This motor definitely looks like it belongs in a teal 90's street rod!

Someone spent money on this motor- I would like to think that the shop put a little research in it to make A solid combination. This leaves two options:

1) keep the polished intake, install fabricated valve covers painted engine color.

2) replace the intake, paint the intake engine color and install fabricated aluminum valve covers.

On a side note when buying valve covers that do not have a breather hole do you just drill a hole wherever you want it? I feel like the car will need a breather and I don't want to pull the valve cover every time I change the oil.

Thanks for all the comments- helping me figure it out.
      You can remove the intake and blast it if you want to give it some tooth to paint it. That way you wouldn't have to buy another. You will need a breather for sure in order for the pvc system to work. I would make sure you get a baffle for where the breather attaches. There are several options that you drill a hole and there is a nut on the inside of the breather fitting to hold in in place. Check Summit or Jegs.
      My '67 Nova Build Thread http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...d.php?t=218954

'73 TA build. @projectarrowhead73

Thanks I will look into the breathers. I hate to blast the intake- would rather sell it to someone that wants it. I have an intake off of a 77 TA I could put on. Not quite as good as the 68-70 intake but not bad. I don't think you gain much with an intake in a Pontiac unless you use the performer rpm.

Made a little more progress on the 72 last night- hoping to put the motor in over the weekend:

The motor is in! Unfortunately I did put a tiny, tiny knick in the fender but other than that it went well. The motor mounts that I bought locally seemed to have a little extra rubber molded on them that made it a difficult fit on the driver side. I even pulled the motor and tried to put the drivers side in first and it didn't go. Eventually some big vice grips and a death grip got it all lined up

In other news the shop that has my 66 GTO got the brakes worked out. When we took it up there it would run but wouldn't drive and 1/2 of the wheels were seized up. After new fluid and filter the transmission would engage. So as of today the 66 started, drove, shifted and stopped under its own power.

Hopefully this car comes together- going to try to drive it over the holiday.

Been really busy with work but have a few updates (on several projects)....

With the motor in I was able to get the headers on:

Since this pic the subframe connectors have been installed. I bolted them in- will weld them in once the car is sitting right on 4 wheels.

Decided on valve covers and am really impressed with the quality and like the look (still not a fan of the intake):

Other projects....

My buddy that painted the K5 was moving it and forgot to tie down the hood.... yup!

It now has a new hood and hinges.....

Whe I saw that Luke And Daisy Duke were going to be at the a Houston autrama I called the guy running it and offered the General. Tom Wopat (Luke) was really cool- signed the car and jumped in the window like it was 1980! I was really excited I got to take this photo with him :

Lots of progress in the garage this holiday season!

I got the front suspension on the 72 TA:

My local shop got the 66 GTO driving for me so it was off to the body shop- going Tiger Gold on this one.

Got the new hood on the K5 and got it home. I think I am shift focus to the truck. It runs, drives, stops and turns. I have the seats and the new seat covers as well as the grill, bumpers, etc.

It has a 4" lift and sits surprisingly high compared to the other cars-

Radiator Finish Panel

Hey, can you share some info about the radiator finish panel in this shot. Whose panel is that? Thanks.

Marc

[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
      Been really busy with work but have a few updates (on several projects)....

With the motor in I was able to get the headers on:

Since this pic the subframe connectors have been installed. I bolted them in- will weld them in once the car is sitting right on 4 wheels.

Decided on valve covers and am really impressed with the quality and like the look (still not a fan of the intake):

What headers are those and what heads are you using?
      1978 Pontiac Trans Am Y88-R,
      UMI Performace, LS3/T56 Holley EFI

To my surprise that radiator cover is a Jegs piece that was like $60!

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...97053/10002/-1

It is designed to match up with the factory shroud but since I am not using a factory shroud I felt it looked better flipped around. I used some universal aluminum brackets that were Jegs brand as well. I usually don't order from Jegs so I was surprised to see they had some items that Summit didn't (like the valve covers).

I am running 67 GTO heads (670 code) and the headers are from headman. I bought them from Summit because of the reviews- they went in easy but there was nothing in the way either. I think these are them:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h...model/firebird

Just a quick update on the progress. As planned I shifted my focus to the Blazer and it's almost ready. I got the seats done but am not very happy with the results. The covers are cheap covers from LMC- nowhere near the quality of the legendary/PUI products I have bought in the past. But, they were only like $250 for the entire set. I used durabak in the bed and was surprised how far one gallon went. I have another gallon to put another coat on.

Next step is to get the bumper lined up (with bumper bolts instead of the hardware holding it on now), bolt in the roll bar and then put in front and rear light harnesses. It already runs/drives/stops/turns so I am ahead of the game there. Would like to be driving it by the end of March so I can get back to work on the 72 TA!

Wow.... almost three years since I updated this thread!

I got really busy with work in 17/18 and sent the 72 TA to San Antonio to have a friend finish it for me. I git all the suspension on but that was about it. I gave my friend $$ up front and within a little over a year almost nothing got done on the car and the $$ was gone. Rather than risk losing the car- I decided just to drive down and get the damn car.

I took it to a local shop I use that does fantastic work, but it isn’t cheap. At this point I decided that it was time to get the car done. This was early 2019.

The local shop did a great job putting all of the mismatched aftermarket parts in the right places. They got the Kore3 brakes installed, the WS6 steering box and all of the gauges. The car now runs, drives and stops on its own

Here are some photos of when I got it back from the shop. Motor fires right up, speedhut gauges are in, brakes work and the rest I can pretty much do at home
      Attached Images Attached Images      

Here are some pics from the past week. I was able to get the carpet in and put the old seats in it- they look pretty good so I am reconsidering if I need to recover them

A few other updates- I’ve decided to put the stripe from the Trans Am in the movie ‘Cannonball’ on the red TA. Very 70’s vibe that I like and it’s something you don’t see all the time.

The 66 GTO is now Tiger Gold, we pulled the motor and are now building a Tri-Power 400 for it.

The K5 is pretty much done. Everything works and has a big stereo in it.

i picked up a 70 GTO convertible that is getting painted now... no shortage of projects!

I’ve decided to leave the seats as is. I am hoping to get the seats and console in tomorrow then It’s pretty much time for windows and final tuning.

The car is going to the body shop to get a few things touched up- what is everyone’s thought on painting the stripe vs using vinyl? I think vinyl has gotten better over the years and if I decided to go back to stock I could attempt to pull it off.

Suggestions?

https://www.hotrodhotline.com/jeremy...e#.XfGqG8pMFvI

Very nice write up by Tommy Parry- thanks for the kind words Tommy!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com