Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 72 TA (clone)

It appears as though the rubber strips are missing on your tank install. Or maybe I just can't see them. Two of my 2nd gen's had them. A third was missing one of the bottom one's. On my cars they were above and below the tank. At the straps below and at the bracing above it.

1971 Firebird
      2017 Slipstream SS

Country Flag: United States
      The engine storage is a nice work of art!
      My '67 Nova Build Thread http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...d.php?t=218954

'73 TA build. @projectarrowhead73

Thanks!

Good call on the gas tank straps. I've never had a car that had them on the actual straps, just between the tank and the trunk floor. That being said the anti -squeak install kit came with two pieces of rubber that clearly would fit on the straps. I will drop it and re-install with the insulators.

Later a body- I've seen your build thread, if you lived here you would be put to work!

International- I am using PTFB for the front as well, but I really don't feel I can say it's better than any of the big name brands as I haven't used all of their products. I can say that I am very happy with the quality of the pieces I've gotten from Dave. So far everything has lined up and the quality is very high.

PonchoJohn- it looks like the hub is 20/32 or 10/16... or 5/8. Here is a pic:

I finished up in the garage today- had a successful day with all of the cars firing up just fine. I did have to buy a battery for the 25th Anniv TA but it was about 4 years old. The TA, 2002 Firehawk and the 68 LeMans all fired up and ran great (except a random headlight motor going bad on the TA?). I shuffled the cars around and will put insurance on the 68, 94 and the 02 while putting the other cars away in storage.

Thank you for the measurement!
      Oooooooohhhh!!! It's like heaven in your garage!! That LeMans.... I had a 68 HT that I put a 455 and an 3 speed auto in, Hotchkiss suspension, T/A front sway bar, 1" custom rear bar-- LOVED that car!!

Thank you sir. Keep up the great work.
      1973 Hurst Edition Pontiac Grand Am: 430 CI of ERL built LS7, Tremec Magnum T-56 6-speed, Global West / Speedtech Suspension, Custom rear coil-over suspension, QA1 double adjustable shocks, Wilwood 6/4 piston disc brakes, Modulare C1 19" concave wheels. Shooting for 625 HP and 20 MPG!

Thanks guys- hoping to get another day in the garage this weekend when it cools off.

That 68 LeMans is an interesting story. A friend in OH found it on facebook and told me about it- it was 4 miles from my house in a storage unit. Family bought it in '69, drove it for 15 years; then the daughter drove it to high school and then the son. The dad passed away and the mom had the car fixed up. Fast forward 22 years- mom passes away and kids realize she had been paying to store the car all this time.

I picked the car up on 4 flat tires with no keys. After soaking the cylinders with mystery oil and a few oil changes the car runs great. I ended up washing the car with a scotchbrite and dish soap to get the color back- then buffed it out.

Here is a pic of when I found it:

Here is a pic of the car in the early 70's I got from the daughter:

Off topic but I was able to clean up the Grand National and finally get my Fast and Furious wheels on it. The first scene in F&F 4 is what rekindled my drive for a GN. Got the AC fixed, brakes fixed and it's ready to ride or die....

I have broken up the 72 into a few phases to make it more manageable:

Phase 2 (starting this weekend)
      - disassemble and remove front suspension
      - pull motor and Trans
      - detail subframe

Phase 3
      - detail motor
      - rebuild Trans
      - install motor and Trans
      - install radiator, fans, wiring,etc

Phase 4
      - install front suspension
      - install Kore3 brake kit

Phase 5 (2017)
      -interior, stereo and windows
      - this should be easy since the seats are already done and staying mostly stock.

My goal is to have the car running, driving and stopping by the end of the year. Really it does that now but you know what I mean.

There's only one thing that can literally throw a wrench into my progress...

My friend is moving his shop and wanted to get our blazer done and out of the way.

It's been at his shop for a few months but it's about to come home. The situation is that this project is much closer to being done than the firebird so it might make sense to finish the Blazer completely before going any further on the 72 TA.

The Blazer runs, drives, stops and turns. Lifted, new wheels- pretty much just needs the grill, bumpers, interior and gauges (i am going windowless / topless). I have the interior I just need to recover the seats ( have covers). Going with a rubber mat up front and bedliner in the back.

Here are before and in progress shots:

When we picked it up:

After cutting out the rust:

As it sits today:

So what our your thoughts- finish the Blazer quickly or keep pressing on the TA?

Finish the Blazer!

That is kinda my thought as well...

Well I made a little more progress this weekend- got the front suspension ripped off if it and the motor and Trans are ready to be pulled out.

Front suspension gone:

Coors light cans are great for catching this last few drops of brake fluid:

Motor is ready to be pulled:

Going to try to pull the motor tomorrow night then it's on to detailing the subframe. As I said before I've been really happy with the quality of the Eastwood detailing products. I would be really excited if I could get the transmission rebuilt and put in over thanksgiving. Then I just need to install the front suspension over the Christmas holidays.

That way I can also try to get the seats done and installed in the Blazer before the end of the year.

Even though I'm a Firebird guy I'd say get the Blazer done so you can enjoy it this winter. Then get back on the bird.

Got the motor pulled tonight- it's so much easier with no suspension on the front of the car- I was able to get the front end low enough to slide the motor and Trans over the front without damaging anything:

The subframe is ready to be detailed:

I need input!!!

I bought the motor already built and it has more bling than I like. I am definitely not a fan of the valve covers:

The motor will be painted silver metallic blue- any suggestions for the valve covers??? I see three options:

Fabricated aluminum
      Silver metallic blue painted factory or fabricated
      Black (gloss or semi gloss) factory or fabricated

I thought about straight up 70's red anodized but it doesn't look like they are available anymore.

Thoughts???

Paint the recessed area in the top of the valve covers where the ribs are the factory silver metallic blue. And maybe the water neck also.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com