Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 72 TA (clone)

Country Flag: United States
      This addiction passsed clinical a long time ago... to quote my dad 'If I had anymore space or money I'd be dangerous!'

Nice build! red looks great on early second gen's ( too many white and blue ones ;-)) of course I am partial to 72 Trans Am's
      Good luck with the build!
      Pat

Thanks, we were fortunate enough to find all of the anniversary editions so we don't have a shortage of white and blue cars!

Originally the plan was for a Carousel Red Formula but the 69 Charger and the wife's Blazer are both orange; then when we decided to make it a trans am it pretty much came down to Buccaneer Red or Brewster Green.

Quote Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
      Also picked up my disc brake rear end today- I got it painted and hopefully will get it in next week.

I grabbed a hydraulic table- I do most of this work by myself on off hours so I figured this would be helpful. It raises to 50" so I figure I can raise it to about 40" and use the lift to lower the car on it and put the leaf springs on. That way I can loosely assemble everything and make sure it's all lined up correctly before tightening it up. I think this will be very helpful for the rear end, gas tank, etc.
      While you have it apart, would you mind measuring the rear axle shaft wheel hub pilot? It's the ring that sorta centers the rim on the axle. I need to know how far it sticks out, as disc cars had deeper versions than drum cars.
      Thanks!!

The hydraulic table is definitely on my Christmas wish list... but so is a 2 post hydraulic lift, and a shop that would fit such toys. I'm more likely to get coal.

Your Firebird looks beautiful. Its making me excited to get our families 74' roadworthy.
      CAM-T Autocross Fox Mustang
      LX mustang autocross on the "cheap"...
      1953 PickEmUp
      1953 Chev Pickemup

My dad has been telling me for years to get one of these and as I get older it's getting harder to man handle the larger pieces!

The two post was a gift from my wife last Christmas- I absolutely love it.

No problem PonchoJohn- I will be out there later this week and will measure the hub. I will take some photos to make sure I got what you wanted.

Body shop just called and said they are ready for the 66 GTO so my weekend plans have changed to get it ready. I deal with a small shop and don't want to lose my place in line. Hopefully I can still get the rear installed.

Opinions needed... motor is black and needs to be Pontiac Blue. Options are 1966-70 silver metallic blue which I love, or the correct 72/early 73 slate blue. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
      Opinions needed... motor is black and needs to be Pontiac Blue. Options are 1966-70 silver metallic blue which I love, or the correct 72/early 73 slate blue. Thoughts?
      IMHO, if your want pure restored look go slate, if no the metallic blue is the coolest engine color ever offered ��
      My '67 Nova Build Thread http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...d.php?t=218954

'73 TA build. @projectarrowhead73

Quote Originally Posted by TerryD View Post
      IMHO, if your want pure restored look go slate, if no the metallic blue is the coolest engine color ever offered ��
      Agreed! Pontiac metallic blue is SOOOO pretty!
      I'm hearing that there's a hammer-tone finish in a spray can the is very close to Pontiac Metallic Blue.

Nice work !
      HELP!!!
      1973 TA 4 spd #'s match red/white = STOLEN
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...55#post1106255

Yea I think silver metallic blue is the way to go. Not going to be stock and looks more Pontiac and less 'corporate ' like the later cars.

Silver metallic

Made some progress on the TA today - let me just say.... if you work alone and haven't bought one of these hydraulic tables you are wasting time! Today is my birthday (yea I'm old(er) but this is something my parents got me to make life easier in the garage (they think I'm going to give up in my 40's).

Challenge was to get the rear diff, leaf springs, sway bar and gas tank installed this week.

Not too bad considering everything was painted:

Then I had to lower the car over the rear end:

Line everything up:

Finally installed:

And last thing was to install the gas tank and fuel lines:

Really Happy how everything went together today- the table was key; could not have done it on my own without it for sure.

Big help having everything painted beforehand. I have a few more things to install before hooking up the rear brakes but still happy with the progress.

I need to decide if it makes sense to try to detail the subframe with the motor/Trans installed knowing they are coming out eventually.

Right now I am thinking I should move on to front suspension and get that done- then swap the motor / Trans.

Bought a few engine cradles to see if I can put together an engine storage 'wall'. They showed up today so we will see how much weight a 6x6 can handle. I'm just tired of looking out for engines as I back up cars in the garage!

Side notes- picked up the Grand National today- a/c works great , the radiator (water/oil/Trans cooler) was re-cored and about 20 other things fixed on it. Looking forward to driving it!

Kids and the wife wanted to give me the best birthday which included all day in the garage, new tools, a fire pit and of course s'mores before bed. They easily succeeded....

Found it!
      http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ighlight=paint

- - - Updated - - -

By any chance, were you able to measure the stick-out of the axle to rim pilot depth?

That paint looks awesome!

I did not measure the axle but I will have some time to get it done tomorrow.

Kept working in the garage today making room. I man handled the GTO out and had it towed over to the shop:

With the GTO out of the shop I was able to get the engines on the dolly's and get them organized. They were stashed all over the garage. I was able to put together an engine storage area:

Good pick going with Pro-Touring F-Body for your 2nd gen. I'm current using PTFB for my '79 T/A and have used them for some other cars I've worked on. Dave has made significant progress over the years in his parts development for these cars. I don't want to trash-talk or call out any sponsors on this forum but some of the "big names" in the suspension game simply don't give attention to performance/development like Dave does.

Ok, enough of me touting up PTFB. I know some individuals on this forum like to trash-talk PTFB or anyone else who is not a current sponsor haha ;)

Are you using PTFB for any of the front suspension?

Gee, now I wish I lived in Texas. I'd find some way to be your best friend. It's like Pontiac Heaven at your place. Nice collection of Ponchos. I vote for the early silver blue metallic on the T/A build.
      1973 Hurst Edition Pontiac Grand Am: 430 CI of ERL built LS7, Tremec Magnum T-56 6-speed, Global West / Speedtech Suspension, Custom rear coil-over suspension, QA1 double adjustable shocks, Wilwood 6/4 piston disc brakes, Modulare C1 19" concave wheels. Shooting for 625 HP and 20 MPG!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com