Login / Register

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Not enough room for frame kickup and tires

Name:  IMG_20180623_130410.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  61.1 KB

Nothing that can't be fixed with a sawzall and air chisel.

Name:  IMG_20180623_133740.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  82.2 KB
      The man, the myth, the legend...brother in law Dave wielding the weapon of choice.

Getting there.

Name:  IMG_20180623_154047.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  171.7 KB
      Rear floor removal and one shifter clearance hole later....
      Automotive limbo: How low can you go?

Not quite there but much better. Compare to the before cutting picture.

Trans tunnel will still require some surgery for torque arm clearance. Tunnel is resting on it here.
      Also some relatively minor firewall clearancing once engine goes back 4".

That's gonna' set right when done... Maybe I missed it, how much tire in the back, it looks massive...

If you do get 285's up front, that'll help with the feel of the SS box.

Joe

Congrats!! Glad to see progress moving along. You've been an inspiration, I've been daily-ing my '77 2500 Suburban for the last year or so and the 9 mpg has gotten old, so I recently picked up this '88 Blazer. It's super clean and cared for but hast a locked up 2.8. That'll be replaced with a torquey small block 406 I've had for many years waiting for the right project, and will receive a pro touring make over. Not as hard core as yours but it'll be a fun daily ride. My son is plugging along with his nasty 355 S10 pick up build as well, so we're both watching your build with pop corn in hand. Keep the mods and pics comin'!

-Ben, Creative Director at Speedtech Performance
      We sell some really cool parts, build cool cars, and do cool concept renderings too!
      435-628-4300 www.speedtechperformance.com
      My Pumkinator build thread- https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=pumkinator

Glad I could be an inspiration Ben, that is one clean '88!! Is your son's S10 build on here?

On another note... so my Strange F-body (torque arm) 12 bolt that needs/will be getting the floater ends:
      Turns out it need a little more than that. It had been so long since I bought the dang thing I had forgot what I had bought! It's completely bare, other than brackets and a pinion. No diff.
      So another $750 or so for a TrueTrac and gears....ugggh. It's only money, right?

This truck will most likely see more street than track time which is why I'm leaning to the TrueTrac versus a locker.
      Any dissenting opinions/thoughts there?
      Any vendors here running any special pricing that I could take advantage of?

It is clean Rich, I'm stoked about it. I don't like the early grills as much and I kinda like the GMC grill better so we recently landed a $300 4 door '93 GMC parts Jimmy that my son and I will be robbing parts from, and I'm converting to the '93 GMC grill. I'll have a little more time here in the next few weeks so I'll get a coiple renderings done and a thread started for both trucks. For now you can check out some Vlog videos my son Roman's been doing for his truck. Progress has been a little slow more recently but he's been saving up his $ and things will be picking up here real soon. Click here for his channel.

Sorry to hijack your thread a little, now back to your wicked Blazer...
      -Ben, Creative Director at Speedtech Performance
      We sell some really cool parts, build cool cars, and do cool concept renderings too!
      435-628-4300 www.speedtechperformance.com
      My Pumkinator build thread- https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=pumkinator

Really impressed with this build. Hats off to you bro. My 1st build(that I just completed) was a '68 Camaro. Yeah I went all out for what my budget would allow, but most of my stuff was figured out for me for the most part as they make anything you want for a Camaro. I did everything myself on my build, but you are fabricating as you go and that my friend is downright impressive to me. I'd love to one day have all the knowledge to tackle a project like this, but until then I will bask in the fruits of my labor a little while first. Following along
      '68 Chevy Camaro Pro-tour ~ project DMENTD
      '57 Chevy 3100 Pro-tour pickup ~ under construction

Thanks for the kind words pittpens24, they're appreciated.

2 things:
      1) I can't take credit for the vast majority of the fabrication work, as its been farmed out first to the shop that had the truck for 10 years, and now to my brother-in-law to finish what they started.
      I determined early on that if I wanted this truck to be more than the typical V8 s-truck, I would have to enlist the help of those with more talent than me.
      Knowing what I know now, I would have been definitely been time ahead by teaching myself and going the DIY route. Would the results have been as good? Maybe, maybe not. It's still been a great learning experience, just a long, drawn out one.

2) There's definitely something to be said for building something that has the level of support of a 1st gen Camaro. You're a smarter man than I.
      I had a '69 MANY years ago....man I miss that car.

There has been some relatively minor progress made since my last update and I'll try to pull some pics off my phone and post later.

1st, decisions made:

Since the better part of the back half of the floor is already cut out, and we know the d/s tunnel needs more than a bit of clearancing for the torque arm, AND the consideration of additional engine setback will require firewall rework..... the remaining front half of the floor is also coming out. Easier to start from scratch than to patch a little here and there.

On the subject of engine setback, we've gone from 8" from current position (desired) to approximately 4".
      (The current position is roughly 2" rearward from stock. So overall we'll be roughly 6".)
      That additional 4" was deemed to be way more trouble/effort than potential gain. Just too many obstacles to overcome.

It's been somewhat of a battle to maintain the balance of street comforts vs race capabilities all the while attempting to keep scope creep in check.
      I need to keep reminding myself that this is to be a STREET truck that will see only occasional track duty, or at the very least, have the capability for said duty when the mood strikes. As opposed to the other way around, a RACE truck with license plates. I've had my share of teeth-rattling, rough riding, deafening hot rods, and while they were fun, this will not be one of those.

On to the (small) progress update:

Threw money down on a True Trac, 4.11's and installation kit. I now have more money into my rear axle than the rest of the drivetrain. Oh well, it won't be the weak link I guess.
      Sheet metal ordered and received for floor and firewall rework.
      Millerbuilt floater ends welded to axle tubes. Jay/Jason Miller is a great guy to deal with and the quality of his kit is absolutely top-notch.
      Will be ordering the floater axles in the coming weeks.
      Last edited by SonomaZ; 08-12-2018 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Additional babbling

In my opinion you made a good decision defining what the truck will be. My Pumkinator wagon is leaning towards borderline race car and that takes away the fun of just hopping in it with the kids and heading out for a burger. As much as I want to go more serious with my Jimmy I decided to (for once) exercise what little self control I could muster and keep the build mild. The goal is to have a street truck with gobs of torque, able to do some "spirited driving in Mexico" and have a stock comfort level interior. So far I'm actually able to stick with that. Your truck has some amazing stuff going on, and should be a real performer. Toning down where the design could have gone is wise in one way at least- it takes a big $ account to seriously enter and continue to do well in the top 10+ at the big races. Most cars built by average folks are mid pack, and the set-ups range a great deal in that pack- from all the best name brand parts to the combo of just a few upgrades, some decent tuning and a good driver. If the mid pack group is where most of us will be at the end of the weekend then why sacrifice street driveability? That's my thinking anyway and that's why I bought the Jimmy to street drive so I can get Pumkinator back on his feet with a little more serious tone.

Good luck and anxious for continued updates!
      -Ben, Your friendly neighborhood Rendering dude

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

Quote Originally Posted by SonomaZ View Post
      Thanks for the kind words pittpens24, they're appreciated.

2 things:
      1) I can't take credit for the vast majority of the fabrication work, as its been farmed out first to the shop that had the truck for 10 years, and now to my brother-in-law to finish what they started.
      I determined early on that if I wanted this truck to be more than the typical V8 s-truck, I would have to enlist the help of those with more talent than me.
      Knowing what I know now, I would have been definitely been time ahead by teaching myself and going the DIY route. Would the results have been as good? Maybe, maybe not. It's still been a great learning experience, just a long, drawn out one.

2) There's definitely something to be said for building something that has the level of support of a 1st gen Camaro. You're a smarter man than I.
      I had a '69 MANY years ago....man I miss that car.
      One thing you are not giving yourself credit for is the initiative to take on a project and even though you were not doing the physical aspect, you were still nose down in research to build what you want to build and the way you want to accomplish it. It's hard for a lot of individuals to have the foresight to get a grasp on what will be.
      As far as support, we will see as the car will be at it's 1st paid entry car show. My car has nothing stock about it so I am anxious to see how much good vs bad comments I get. I know you meant support as in help because it has been done many times over lol.
      '68 Chevy Camaro Pro-tour ~ project DMENTD
      '57 Chevy 3100 Pro-tour pickup ~ under construction

So another fairly productive weekend in Iowa in the books.
      Since my last visit where we got the axle tubes cut to length, the Millerbuilt ends welded on, and most of the rear floor cut out:

Cut off the tacked-on frame height setting "feet." These were just for construction purposes and kept the bottom of the frame level and 4" off the deck.
      The axle is now back under the truck with tires bolted on for the first time and not just sitting in the wheel wells for pictures and measuring.
      And it looks like we got the width right!! (Measure twice? I think it was more like 5 or 6 times.)
      The sidewalls of the 335's should tuck right in with just a little fender lip roll.
      We made some 2x4 "struts" for the front since I don't have springs for the coilovers in front yet. And with that, we at least have a roller which became very necessary later in the day.
      I do have a pair of 650# Hyperco springs coming, but they didn't make it in time.

After achieving roller status we picked the engine and trans up off the temporary mounts with the frame rack hoist, cut and re-tacked the mounts back in place exactly 8" rearward, rolled the chassis forward and reset engine and trans in their new position.
      For those following along, the previous decision to stick with only 4" of engine setback went straight out the window when it was realized that the true level of firewall chopping wouldn't be that much different to go the full 8, and once it was decided to just pitch the factory HVAC out that same window. I'll put a Vintage Air slimline unit in there later.
      In this new position, header modifications will be reduced dramatically. The passenger side is a virtual bolt-in right now. The headers are '96-'97 LT1 F-body 1-3/4" primary longtubes.
      The other victim of the engine setback besides the HVAC on the pass. side will be the factory pedal "box" firewall sheetmetal that juts out for your feet on the driver's side. It looks like this will be overcome with a relocated pedal setup from Tilton or Wilwood. Every decision always has consequences, right? Pedals, steering wheel and seat(s) will all get moved back about 4". Dash stays in stock position as there shouldn't be any required cutting up that high.

I'm sorry I didn't get pics up from the last go-round but my phone camera lens is messed up. I might put them up anyway. Thankfully my son came with this time and snapped a few with his. Will get those loaded up here shortly.

I just looked back and saw that I used the phrase "relatively minor firewall clearancing" in a previous post.
      I'm not sure what I was smoking when i wrote that....

Sorry for the lack of detail pics but I'll share what I have.
      Dave HAS been busy the last few weekends however.

Front section of floor and necessary portion of firewall out; engine and trans are now 8" further back than where we started.
      Should be very close to 10" of total setback from stock engine position. Still on temporary mounts in this picture.
      Name:  enginesetback.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  221.1 KB

With the lift all the way down and touching the runway of the frame rack.
      ALMOST low enough.
      Name:  allthewaydown.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  104.6 KB

Another "close, but not quite" shot: Need about the height of that 2x4 under the cab to get the top of the tire even with the fender lip.
      Name:  front265s fit.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  163.6 KB

Up and down, up and down...repeat ad nauseum. Don't hit the roof!
      This picture is an early shot (axle ends still bare and no engine setback) and out of order but I thought I'd throw it in here.
      I don't know how many times the body went up and down, but needless to say, the lift got a workout.

Name:  up and down dont hit the roof.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  191.7 KB

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com