Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

How much modification is too much.

I've got a 1976 trans am anniversary car I'm restoring.

Never had any special edition vehicles in the past so I've always gone wild with mods.

The car is hacked to pieces currently from the PO so I'm in the process of patching in all the sheet metal and starting body work.

Being special edition, I want it to have the original look as far as body and trim goes.

What's the general consensus on engine, suspension, brake, and wheel changes on a car like this?

My biggest issue is going to be the fact that the original wheels won't fit over the brakes I want to run.

Since its a 76 this is my thoughts on the wheels.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...7-quot-699-set

Put the largest brakes you can in the wheel.

The 2nd gen birds with the WS6 suspensions handled better then the corvettes back in the day. I would think solid body bushing. Delrin bushings in the A-arms and on the sway bar. Maybe consider some ridetech streetgrip parts.

For the Motor, what do you have now? 400? How do you plan on driving it?

I'm just thinking how I build it being a poor guy. I love the 2nd gen cars.
      Some times I'm fast sometimes I'm half-fast

Quote Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
      Since its a 76 this is my thoughts on the wheels.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...7-quot-699-set

Put the largest brakes you can in the wheel.

The 2nd gen birds with the WS6 suspensions handled better then the corvettes back in the day. I would think solid body bushing. Delrin bushings in the A-arms and on the sway bar. Maybe consider some ridetech streetgrip parts.

For the Motor, what do you have now? 400? How do you plan on driving it?

I'm just thinking how I build it being a poor guy. I love the 2nd gen cars.

I didn't even know those existed. You sir, just made my day.

My overall plan for suspension was bigger sway bars, possibly coil overs up front, some upgraded leaf springs that won't wheel hop, subframe connectors, and quality bushings.

Engine is the original 400, gonna get the block machined as little as possible, may stroke it a little, add some aluminum heads and higher compression with possible efi if the funds keep flowing.

It's gonna be a street car I drive a lot so comfort is key. Probably go to some autocross events and road trips.

Country Flag: United States
      Sounds like you're on the right track, that's what I'd do. I'd actually go one step further and do a set of tubular control arms along with the coilovers, they're all bolt on parts so you won't be doing anything permanent. Good leafs would be a good strategy. I'd be curious about the ridetech street grip fiberglass leaves.

The fact that you're doing a lot of bodywork, and that it's not a virgin car tells me you can go a little crazy. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Quote Originally Posted by CampbellshotrodsAZ View Post
      Sounds like you're on the right track, that's what I'd do. I'd actually go one step further and do a set of tubular control arms along with the coilovers, they're all bolt on parts so you won't be doing anything permanent. Good leafs would be a good strategy. I'd be curious about the ridetech street grip fiberglass leaves.

The fact that you're doing a lot of bodywork, and that it's not a virgin car tells me you can go a little crazy. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
      Indeed. Body work is an understatement. PO saw a rusty spot and this happened.

I got new sheet metal and I'm gonna do some minor tweaks.

I want it to be a modern version of the original. Only reason I'm skipping on the ls swap is because 10 years from now the ls will look like a 10 year old swap but the 400 should be timeless.

I'm glad you didn't bondo over the rust spot LOL.

If the motor is original it would be a 557 block and not a good candidate for a stroker motor. The 557 were lighter version of the 988 block. They took a bunch of meat out of the mains. They are fine up to 400hp beyond that they get to be questionable.

If you wanted to save money you could always source WS6 parts (sway bars front/back and steering box). Plenty of other option out there if you like to spend money.

Some times I'm fast sometimes I'm half-fast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com