Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Hiedts

Country Flag: United States

Hiedts

I am building a 67 Camaro with the Heidts Pro-G and their rear 4-link. Trying to find other Heidts owners with similar set ups, pro's / con's, etc.
      I found these forums after I had already started my build. Too late for some things, but alot of good info as I move plunge forward.
      Attachment 129972

Attached Images Attached Images  

Heidts 4-link

An update on my Heidts set up, particularly the 4-link.
      All mounted & fitted and a bit disillusioned. I bought the Heidts 4-link WT (wide Tire) with the narrowed Ford 9".
      In trying to think things out ahead of time, we installed 3" mini-tubs in hopes to filling them up. A waste of time and money.
      I found two issues, the rear bar overhangs about 1". Which would fit perfect if you plan isnt to mini tub. If you do minitub, you have to deal with the overhanging bar on both sides. The bigger issue is the upper links. With the way the Heidts 4-link hooks up, it mounts to the outside of the frame rails, chewing up 2" of usable space limiting tire size to 305's. So if your goal is 335s, go another direction.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

I have the front sub, but use a prodigy bar 4 link (i think its just a rebadged alston or ridetech set up). What issues are you running into with the front clip?
      Confucius says, "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life"

My build Beast

All went pretty well with the front clip except the motor mount height. I am building my Camaro with an LS3 and found the Heidts motor mounts allowed the front of the motor to hit the rack & pinion steering so we had to raise a fraction of an inch. Then be prepared to do a little tunnel work for the tranny to clear. I am not sure how either a sbc or bbc would fit.

I have a modern LS6, with a 98 f-body oil pan...fit no problem. I thought that the mounts brought the motor a little forward, but because of that, the T-56 fit with only slight tunnel mods.
      I spoke with heidts because the first frame i got had welded in mounts that didnt get put in their jig correctly (ultimately sent me a new frame with redesiged bolt in mounts) but through the tech support calls, they were pretty specific about the mounts i should use. I cant remember the brand, but give them a call, their tech support is great and they will go above and beyond to help.

I have nothing but good things to say about their support
      Confucius says, "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life"

My build Beast

I'm researching info for my project, thanks for posting.

At first I thought you have an extra cross member to protect the steering, but then I noticed the lower control arm mounts to it. Is this a feature of the Pro-G?
      Most of the kits I've seen use only one cross member, and the LCA mounting points are closer to each other, and use a thru bolt.

Bob, what you see in the pictures is how it came, no modifications. It has the two cross members. I still don't have the car running so I can't report on much more, but for the most part, so far so good on the front clip.

Quote Originally Posted by stinger67 View Post
      An update on my Heidts set up, particularly the 4-link.
      All mounted & fitted and a bit disillusioned. I bought the Heidts 4-link WT (wide Tire) with the narrowed Ford 9".
      In trying to think things out ahead of time, we installed 3" mini-tubs in hopes to filling them up. A waste of time and money.
      I found two issues, the rear bar overhangs about 1". Which would fit perfect if you plan isnt to mini tub. If you do minitub, you have to deal with the overhanging bar on both sides. The bigger issue is the upper links. With the way the Heidts 4-link hooks up, it mounts to the outside of the frame rails, chewing up 2" of usable space limiting tire size to 305's. So if your goal is 335s, go another direction.
      Did you ever get this 4 link issue resolved?

Quote Originally Posted by elwaupo View Post
      Did you ever get this 4 link issue resolved?
      We did some grinding on the overhangs to get things tucked back to the frame rails. We also switched the hex head bolts out to carriage style (round top)
      Running 315s on 18 x 11s with no issues.

I’m going with a 12 bolt from an earlier Nova which measures 57.75”, I just need to figure out what my backspace will be now. It will anable me to run a wider rear wheel, hopefully a 10” wheel

I am running a Heidts on my Chevy II, not the Pro G. One thing I am eventually going to update is changing out the tie rod ends to these from Baer. They will allow you to adjust the angle. I am running my car very low and need the extra drop. I am not sure if the ProG geometry is the same or how low your car is but something to consider.

https://baer.com/Tracker-Tie-Rod-Ends/

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com