Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Please Help 79 camaro

My 79 Camaro won't start with the ignition cranked. The motor was replaced from a Chevy 350 small block to a Chevy 400 small block. Ill turn the key and it will crank and crank but when I release the key it starts for a second and turns off. I have replaced the ignition switch, distributor, button, distributor cap, coil, and its timed correctly. I had a mechanic scratching his head not able to figure it out. Any help would be nice. I leave the car in less than a week for 9 months and would like to drive it before I have to leave it.

Country Flag: United States

Please Help 79 camaro

I don't know how to fix it but it sounds like you are not providing voltage to the ignition while you're in "cranking" mode. Maybe Hotwire it by running a 12v positive wire from the battery to the coil just for testing purposes? I think there is supposed to be a wire from the starter solenoid to the coil for just this purpose?
      Steve

Country Flag: United States
      Any updates here?

Have you verified there is power under "crank" and "run" position when key is turned?

Is the actual ignition switch on the column adjusted correctly.Because if not it do what you describe.

Country Flag: Canada
      " Ill turn the key and it will crank and crank but when I release the key it starts for a second and turns off." So the car starts and then stalls? Or it cranks, does not start, you release the key from start and then it starts?

Check the wiring on your starter solenoid. You should have three terminals for an HEI car. Large is for the starter cable. The terminal marked "s" is for the keyed signal from the ignition switch to activate the solenoid and starter, terminal marked "r" is the bypass resistor to supply 12 to the HEI coil during cranking. When cranking, use a voltmeter at the distributor to check for 12 plus volts.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com