Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: weiand blower

weiand blower

i spoke with tech support at weiand this morning about model 142 for vortec style heads and they told me i would not be able to run pump gas on my current set up:
      383 sbc
      edelbrock e-tec aluminimum 170 heads
      10 to 1 comp
      comp cam xe274h
      forged crank and pistons

they said i could only run 2 lbs of boost and that would defeat the purpose. i see here and on other sites guys running similar setups running 5-6 lbs. obviously i don't want to blow up my engine nor do i want to run race fuel.are they just trying to cover their ass?

thanks, adam

Country Flag: United States
      I don't think so. I had a B&M mega blower on a ZZ motor years ago and I had to run race gas. Since then I have replaced the ZZ with a 8:1 406CI motor and it's happy as a clam on premium running 10 pounds of boost. I would think the 142 would be even more prone to detonation because you have to spin it faster to do the same thing as a larger blower.
      '79 Z28,White w/camel tan interior,Cowl induction hood,TKO-500 5SPD,350 RamJet (polished),Jet-Hot coated Hooker Headers,Magnaflow dual exhaust,11" Ram clutch,10 bolt 370 Posi,Rock Valley fuel tank,Vette Brakes monoleaf suspension,AGR quick ratio steering,Baer 4 wheel brakes,17X7 Alloy Cragars w/245/45X17 AVS Sports in Front & 17X8 Alloys w/255/40X17's Rear.

Chris

The 142 Weiand supercharger for Vortec heads is a really nice kit, but I would not recommend running 10:1. All the testing was done with a stock L31 short block which has 9:1 compression. That would be the highest that I would go.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

With proper engine management we've run as high as 25psi all the time on pump with our little 4 cylinders with 9:1 compression. Running it a slight bit rich with very little timing is the ticket. If you are able to play with timing I'd imagine you should be able to run 6-8psi.

i have an msd ready to run dist.so i should be able to adjust the timing easily. i also talked to the guys at magnacharger,they have a blower for a first gen sbc with vortec heads and they said it would be no problem to run 5 or 6 lbs of boost.
      isn't it true aluminum heads at 10 t0 1 act like iron heads
      at 9 to 1 as far as detonation is conscerned?

Is the Magnacharger a roots style blower? Maybe they have conquered the heating problem of the roots style. Also you have to be careful on the exhaust side. With my first ZZ motor I found my exhaust temp was 1100Deg F. at an idle! That was running S&S 1-3/4" tite tuck headers. When I flow tested the heads with those headers on there I lost 50% of my flow so I built a 2" primary set and when flow tested with those headers I actually picked up 20% over flow w/o headers and exhaust temp went down to 900Deg at idle. Just gives you some idea of the kinds of problems you can have with blowers.
      '79 Z28,White w/camel tan interior,Cowl induction hood,TKO-500 5SPD,350 RamJet (polished),Jet-Hot coated Hooker Headers,Magnaflow dual exhaust,11" Ram clutch,10 bolt 370 Posi,Rock Valley fuel tank,Vette Brakes monoleaf suspension,AGR quick ratio steering,Baer 4 wheel brakes,17X7 Alloy Cragars w/245/45X17 AVS Sports in Front & 17X8 Alloys w/255/40X17's Rear.

Chris

If you buy that kit go to an Advanced Discount Auto Parts, they sold me mine for like 1,400 or 1,500 bucks with tax.

Granted it is satin finish but you cant beat that price.

which kit did you get?magna charger or weiand? do you also have vortech style heads?

I got the Weiand, I just have a stock cheap crate 350 in there with iron heads and 8.5:1 compression.

I did change the pulley to a 2.5 that gives 10-12 lbs of boost per weiand and no detonation with 93 octane. I ran the stock 5-6 lb pulley with the lowest octane out there (after hurricanes, lucky to find any fuel) and had no detonation problems.

My cooling system is now sub par from all the heat tho.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com