Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Chop Saw Question

In the past I have always used a standard chop saw for my projects.

I was just looking aat the assortment of the new saws since I am in the market and wandered past the 12 inch miter saws. I see they have the same hp as the chop saws but they swivel to the part rather than trying to hold the part at an angle to get the right cut.

I know they are usually used for wood but do you think they can cut 2x4x.250 tubing safely?

With the chop saws I could get close but would have to cut a little fat and massage it into position.
      The rule is measure twice and cut once. My problem is I still measure with a mic and cut with an axe!

The Problem is....RPM.....Sawing metal needs a much slower RPM than the Wood saw....Yes I wanted to do it too. I have a friction saw.....I hate it.

I have seen the miter saws for metal but they were very expensive. I would really like to have one.

Holy Thread Resurrection! I'd hope he found a saw by now lol.

In case anybody else is still looking, this is the saw you want to get: https://www.evolutionpowertools.com/...aws/evosaw380/

A friend of mine works for the company so we got a prototype saw several years ago to try out. We're still using it, it is night and day better than an abrasive saw. Cuts are straight and clean, they will be precise unlike the abrasive discs. Also, your parts don't get hot because all the heat does into the chips. Blade life is very good.

We've cut all sorts of things with ours. Mild steel, aluminium, Stainless, it doesn't care. We cut hardened axle shafts with it to make punches, it was effortless. Can't say enough good things about them.
      Nelson
      1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

Yep, I ended up getting an Evolution Saw. I love it. And for the first time in my life I won a raffle and it was for one of those little Trajan saws, Its a very handy size and works well too.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaceMFG View Post
      Holy Thread Resurrection! I'd hope he found a saw by now lol.

In case anybody else is still looking, this is the saw you want to get: https://www.evolutionpowertools.com/...aws/evosaw380/

A friend of mine works for the company so we got a prototype saw several years ago to try out. We're still using it, it is night and day better than an abrasive saw. Cuts are straight and clean, they will be precise unlike the abrasive discs. Also, your parts don't get hot because all the heat does into the chips. Blade life is very good.

We've cut all sorts of things with ours. Mild steel, aluminium, Stainless, it doesn't care. We cut hardened axle shafts with it to make punches, it was effortless. Can't say enough good things about them.
      The rule is measure twice and cut once. My problem is I still measure with a mic and cut with an axe!

those evolution saws are nice but i burned up a 100$ blade real fast on thin walled stainless. They sell a stainless blade i havent tried but i switched back to my abrasive saw and its been great.
      does well on mild and chromoly though, but i wont let stainless touch it anymore.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com