Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Yep...another 1st gen...but it's mine

So...I am going to play catch up with this build thread. I was/am in the process of building a 1955 Chevy truck when I came across a good deal on a 1967 Camaro. As this was my high school car and one of the other cars I had promised myself I would own again I took the plnge and purchased it thinking I could finish the truck and drive the camaro. Although it was clean it was an 80's redo and had a lacquer paint job. The more I drove it the more I got lacquer cracking and finally I decided to tear it apart and put this ahead of the truck. Here is what I had to start with
      Attached Images Attached Images        

I decided since we were going to have to paint it I would build it the way I would have wanted this when I had it. This won't be a popular build I'm sure as we are doing an 80's style with modern features. All the chrome will stay. I am mini tubbing it and going with a 315 rear but using a chrome wheel. Staying with the deluxe style seats but using a gen 5 console. Installing an LS3 stroked with a 4L80 trans and a 9' rear. I will use a Speedtech torque arm rear and their a arms in the front. Here is it stripped and getting ready for paint.Name:  IMG951477.jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  125.4 KBName:  IMG951483.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  150.4 KBName:  IMG951473.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  107.6 KBName:  IMG951479.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  124.4 KB

Thankfully other than a couple really small areas and the rear quarter it wasn't too bad. It ended up being a vinyl top car originally but even that wasn't too bad. Started to get product together and prep for painter. Got the mini tubs in and everything epoxy primed.

I'm lovin the original shifter opening. You just don't see an original tunnel that often these days since most have been cut up.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

While I had use of the rotisourrie...decided to Raptor line the underneath and then off to the painter. We decided that although we are going old school I wanted to add some touches that most other than camaro guys probably wont see. We filled the seamd at the front fenders and at the truck to rear window. Added 69 driving lights to the front valance. Changed the grill to a 68, and all the normal body work issues. Now...this is where it took awhile because it was at the painters for 7 months while he worked on it on and off.

Still more at painters

a little history...my last 1st gen was blue with a white vinyl top. Blue is my favorite color. Can you guess what color we are getting painted.....blue. I do have to say paint choice is probably the most difficult thing because it is personal and the first thing everyone sees. After books and books, paint chip after paint chip, internet and dealer lots, I finally chose my blue. Hope you like it as much as I do. It is vibrant in the sun and almost black in the shade or overcast. Cool color

Sorry..missed shots of the undercarriage.

a liitle more catch up...LS3 going together..trans with Hughes converter...Speedtech items and powdercoated sub frame...

On a mission now...I wish it actually happened as fast as it looks here LOL Some more items came in. Since this is a "budget" build went with TMI seats ( they recline yah!! ) One piece headliner, Got the wheels and tires...American Racing with Faulkens....yes...this is where I loose some of you as I am going to run a chrome/polished wheel. Remember...this is a better version of what I had and these beat Cragers LOL

Contemplated this next move for a LONG time but decided to go with the 68 grill with billet insert and headlights with the turn signals built in. Also running Fesler driving lights. Not everyone's taste but I like it!

Back to the engine....it would be remiss of me not to take a minute and thank Tony and Bobby for all their help on this build! I truely could not have gotten to this point without their help!!

Still wanting to try and walk the line between old school and modern...found some cool mirrors and Fesler handles...

So...here is where we are at...and Thank You for sharing the last year + of this build. I have the radiator/fans installed, power steering braided hoses run, and a few odds and ends done. I am about to get slammed at work so running it to a shop to have hard fuel line, brake lines and wiring done. Then its off to exhaust and will order the driveline while its having this work done. Hopefully driving in 4 plus or minus weeks....hopefully...Please let me know what you think..and thanks again for checking out my build to date.

Very nice car! This will probably be a great driving car with the suspension, interior and drivetrain done up modern.

Like the classic look, it will be timeless.....big advantage 20 years from now when half the styles now will be out.

What a beautiful car to start with, I like the color. What are you using for a shifter with the 5th gen console?
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Looks good!
      Brian

1972 C10 - 454/TH400 - Short bed conversion - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...1972-C10-SoCal
      1970 Nova - LS Swap - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...Cal?highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Motown 454 View Post
      What a beautiful car to start with, I like the color. What are you using for a shifter with the 5th gen console?
      Thanks everyone for the responses! I have a shiftworks 67 shifter and also the gen 5...not sure which. Its still that old school vs new school line I deal with LOL...any suggestions?

How about the 67 shifter with a nice leather boot?
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com