Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I know I'm not the only one

I know I'm not the only one that wishes good guys would allow a bigger year range on Fridays and Saturdays. I understand that they don't want an overloaded show but I think good guys needs to understand that in our current economy not everybody can afford a 69 Camaro or a 67 chevelle. Especially when we want to continue the legacy of muscle cars, kids will never be able to join in because they can't afford to. So why don't they allow up to 81? Novas, firebirds, camaros, etc are more affordable in that year range and have plenty of aftermarket support as well. Some of us younger people without deep pockets want to run with the big boys too lol

they should allow where the bodystyle fits in.. an 81 firebird and a 70 firebird body is damn near the same..

Country Flag: United States
      I definitely think upping the year thru 81 would be beneficial to many, mainly the F-body and Vette crowd, and won't add too many more cars to cause congestion. Getting into the 80's is iffy... as a 3rd gen owner myself, and the rising popularity of these cars, it would be nice to have them in the show as well, but the drawback is seeing more and more beater 80's cars outside of the F-body/Fox body world. I don't want to sound snobbish, but I don't want a ton of beater 80's pickups there filling the show. You see some more of these beaters on Sunday, but the show here in AZ is about half capacity then, so the extra vehicles are not noticed. I definitely can understand why they are hesitant to change it, but I do think up to 1981 would be a good balance.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

I just said 81 because that's when the F body changes majorly, and I could understand not wanting a **** ton of beaters, a million fox body's and iroc z's flocking around taking every spot at the grounds. I have a 79 Trans am, essentially a 70 Camaro with a different nose and it has to pass smog. I think it'd be beneficial for good guys to make room for more vehicles. More people going, more money being brought in, a better chance to increase the ever growing passion for muscle cars and classics. Or what they could do is limit the amount of newer vehicles to 2nd gen f bodies, pre 79 novas, el caminos, pre 79 c10s and leave it at that. They don't have to let in every post 72 vehicle but some vehicles should have an exception made.

I agree with your opinions regarding the cut off years at the Goodguys events. I own a 1973 and am not allowed into the venue unless it is an All American Sunday event which allows all years cars. Those AAS events are only at certain shows, not all. But as pointed out, the attendance is not as strong as the Friday/Saturday events, and you lose some of the excitement on the Sunday events. I spoke with some officials at the Goodguys corporate offices in 2010 and addressed these concerns to them. The example they offered was the Pleasanton, Ca. event does not have the capacity to include a broader scale of cars. As pointed out, not everyone can afford the typical '64-'72 cars. I also see no reason to deny an F-body of later years. My 1973 is a well thought out build as are many other post '72 cars, but I am forced to not participate. As the cars get older, you would have to assume at some point the justification for later cars up to 1981 would become more relevant. One thing I do not agree with is being selective on what pre-'81 cars are allowed. I think that would be counterproductive and alienate some later model cars on the basis of what is considered acceptable or not.
      1973 Hurst Edition Pontiac Grand Am: 430 CI of ERL built LS7, Tremec Magnum T-56 6-speed, Global West / Speedtech Suspension, Custom rear coil-over suspension, QA1 double adjustable shocks, Wilwood 6/4 piston disc brakes, Modulare C1 19" concave wheels. Shooting for 625 HP and 20 MPG!

Yeah, alienating might not be the best idea because theres always going to be somebody thats pissed off. But say at Pleasanton do they have a cap on pre 72 cars that they allow to register? Why don't they allow pre 81 and put a cap on registration? You snooze you lose. USCA has a cap on registration amounts. I just don't find it fair that because I don't have deep pockets or my grandpa didn't leave me a 67 camaro ss that I'm not allowed to show up on friday & saturday and try to run against the big guns i.e brandy, hobaugh, the tuckers, maier, etc. I just have to wait till sunday where I get two runs if I'm lucky and they don't mean anything. I want to battle and get that invite to duel in the desert. Who can we contact about this? If anybody?

I agree that they should raise the age limit on the cars. Not sure if you guys have been to a GG's event on a Fri or Sat but the average age of the participants is probably in their 60's. These guy are getting old, and if Goodguy's doesn't do something to allow in some younger blood, they are going to die off like their members...

Quote Originally Posted by Tincup View Post
      I agree that they should raise the age limit on the cars. Not sure if you guys have been to a GG's event on a Fri or Sat but the average age of the participants is probably in their 60's. These guy are getting old, and if Goodguy's doesn't do something to allow in some younger blood, they are going to die off like their members...
      You said what I was thinking. Yes the gg events does the cones for kids but when that kid grows up how many pre 72 vehicles are really gunna be salvageable? And if they are salvageable what is the price tag going to look like? I would like to think that we want to keep this passion alive, rather than making it a battle of who has the deepest pockets. I think it needs to change before its too late. I would like to hear from a pre 72 autox driver at GG to hear their opinion. I'd like to know if they agree or if they're opposed and why?

I haven't read the Good Guys rules for this year yet but, I believe the rule says the put-off is 1972 but, if it looks similar to a a 1972, you can enter. So, if I read the rule right, you can enter your 1974 Camaro because it looks like a 1972 Camaro. I wonder where they would cut-off a C3 Corvette? Although, the C3 Corvettes look the same but, there are significant differences through out the years of the C3 Corvettes. The front metal bumper went away in 1973 and the rear metal bumper went away in 1974. Would that make a difference in Good Guys?

If you don't want to pay the big bucks to enter an optima event, there is the SCCA CAM (Classis American Muscle) program that is taking off well. The entry fee is only $75.00 and you will get at least 9 runs over two days and if you place half-way decent in your class, you may get some additional runs in the Sunday afternoon shootout. You should check it out. SCCA CAM does have a class for modern muscle cars except, for C7 Corvettes and the new Viper.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

It's probably on a case to case basis. I know about the CAM challenge, I'm just greedy and want to run more and more and more lol

Quote Originally Posted by austinjjesus View Post
      It's probably on a case to case basis. I know about the CAM challenge, I'm just greedy and want to run more and more and more lol
      You can run the three (3) Good-Guys Get-together events at Plesanton in addition to the All American Sunday events.

My first autocross was at a Good-Guys event driving my 2002 Ford Lightning and got hooked. I have since purchased and built a 73 Camaro so I could attend all events possible. I use to question the cut off year as you are now but understand why the rule is in place so, if you can't beat them, join them.

Regarding (when that kid grows up how many pre 72 vehicles are really gunna be salvageable? And if they are salvageable what is the price tag going to look like?) I think it's all relative to the time, look at how many 32 Fords you see at the car shows now and take a look at all the younger (pre-60 year old) builders there are as well, Jimmy Shine @ So-Cal, Gas Monkey, etc. I've attended several of the Rat Rod and Rockabilly events and many of those folks are in their 20's.

George Dias
      1973 Camaro
      2002 SVT Lightning
      2003 Z06 Corvette

2015 Truckin Throwdown Champion http://www.trucktrend.com/events/tru...by-ebc-brakes/

Quote Originally Posted by struck by Lightning View Post
      I use to question the cut off year as you are now but understand why the rule is in place so, if you can't beat them, join them.
      Agreed. That's a big reason I decided not to put any more money into my 98 Trans Am one day, and invest in my 71 Firebird instead. My 98 never hit the road course or autocross though, it was too tired at 220k for me to run, and I didn't want to rebuild it at pretty much 100% loss of whatever my investment was because at the end of the day, it was still a 220k mile, salvaged title 98 Trans Am.

A ride with Kyle Tucker in Stacy's 69 Camaro was what got me hooked.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Quote Originally Posted by struck by Lightning View Post
      You can run the three (3) Good-Guys Get-together events at Plesanton in addition to the All American Sunday events.

My first autocross was at a Good-Guys event driving my 2002 Ford Lightning and got hooked. I have since purchased and built a 73 Camaro so I could attend all events possible. I use to question the cut off year as you are now but understand why the rule is in place so, if you can't beat them, join them.

Regarding (when that kid grows up how many pre 72 vehicles are really gunna be salvageable? And if they are salvageable what is the price tag going to look like?) I think it's all relative to the time, look at how many 32 Fords you see at the car shows now and take a look at all the younger (pre-60 year old) builders there are as well, Jimmy Shine @ So-Cal, Gas Monkey, etc. I've attended several of the Rat Rod and Rockabilly events and many of those folks are in their 20's.
      How can I run the three pleasanton events in addition to the all american sunday events? Are you saying I can run those all weekend? Where can I find the rules to the good guys events?

Quote Originally Posted by austinjjesus View Post
      How can I run the three pleasanton events in addition to the all american sunday events? Are you saying I can run those all weekend? Where can I find the rules to the good guys events?
      Yes, you can run the Get-together events in Pleasanton. Next one is in November, so come on up and do it. https://www.good-guys.com/events/event-info/2016-events I started auto crossing in my truck at these events in 2011.

George Dias
      1973 Camaro
      2002 SVT Lightning
      2003 Z06 Corvette

2015 Truckin Throwdown Champion http://www.trucktrend.com/events/tru...by-ebc-brakes/

Another way to get around their not letting the newer cars is to get with other clubs in the area .And start another car show on the same day that includes Cars up to 1981. And maybe beyond then lets see who last the longest. We had a couple of cruising places up in my area.And the ones with too many restrictions eventually went away.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by nokones View Post
      I haven't read the Good Guys rules for this year yet but, I believe the rule says the put-off is 1972 but, if it looks similar to a a 1972, you can enter. So, if I read the rule right, you can enter your 1974 Camaro because it looks like a 1972 Camaro. I wonder where they would cut-off a C3 Corvette? Although, the C3 Corvettes look the same but, there are significant differences through out the years of the C3 Corvettes. The front metal bumper went away in 1973 and the rear metal bumper went away in 1974. Would that make a difference in Good Guys?
      What this means is if you make your 73 look like a 72 you can enter. If it isn't a clone of a 72, you still can't enter the 73.
      Tom Pichette

Pit crew for Valerie Pichette and her 1988 Pontiac TransAm GTA "DragonLady"

Another major event block to look at is the NSRA shows. They now have a rolling 30 year rule and are back to having autocross at select events. The next big one is in Louisville at the beginning of August.

In SoCal you also have 4 big autocross events at Fontana with the NMCA Hotchkis autocross. And the SoCal SCCA CAM group is fairly large and active.
      Tom Pichette

Pit crew for Valerie Pichette and her 1988 Pontiac TransAm GTA "DragonLady"

The look alike cars such as a 1973 Firebird, or Camaro will get you in the door because they are identical to the '70-'72's. Mary Pozzi as an example. She drives a 1973. But if you are driving a '74 and up F-body, your not included. It is valid that some people are upset with the idea. So if your buddy drives a '72 Chevelle, and you drive a '73 Chevelle.... well the '73 is not getting into the show unless it's an All American Sunday events. And yes, there are a lot of older guys there on Friday/Saturday, and as pointed out, if the younger guys are not driving the '72 and earlier cars, you will start to see a loss of interest in the GG events as a whole. Going forward, the GG really need to start having conversations with the attendees of these events to get a feel for the need to allow some of the '73 and later cars in, and not just on Sundays when a lot of the luster has rubbed off.
      1973 Hurst Edition Pontiac Grand Am: 430 CI of ERL built LS7, Tremec Magnum T-56 6-speed, Global West / Speedtech Suspension, Custom rear coil-over suspension, QA1 double adjustable shocks, Wilwood 6/4 piston disc brakes, Modulare C1 19" concave wheels. Shooting for 625 HP and 20 MPG!

I personally don't care for most cars newer than '72. No offense, but they're just not as cool or interesting. And Super Sunday is always a big mess, with the new car drivers having no idea what they're doing. Or they show up and think they're gonna be faster than the old cars and leave when they figure out their newer car can't keep up. Some of the events throughout the year allow any American body or engined car to enter. It's usually the smaller shows so that they can boost attendance. But shows like Des Moines and Columbus are so large that allowing the newer cars would make it a gigantic mess. Good luck having a rival car show the same weekend that can attract 3-6 thousand cars plus spectators.
      1969 El Camino

Yeah all '73-'81 Trans Am's, Camaro/Z28's '73-'74 Challengers,'73-'74 Javelin/AMX's, '73-'81 Corvettes, '73-'77 Chevelle, Grand Am, Can Am, 442, '78-'87 Malibu's, Grand National's, Monte Carlo SS, El Camino's.... etc, etc, etc.
      Yeah, I guess once you go past '72, you should just give up on the idea of going to car shows since those cars are not as cool, and people won't like them as much. What have I been thinking all these years??

BRILLIANT!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com