Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      That is the type of attitude that can turn people off .And some would consider snobbish. Yesterday`s Chevelle car club use to not let in 1959 El Camino ,and 1978-82 Malibu`s and El Caminos at one time.Now its one of the largest section.Because that is what people can afford And some are just as nice as the earlier ones.

Country Flag: United States
      This exact conversation is why most guys my age are driving imports. I'm 24. I love all the old American classics, but for someone even in a middle class family to obtain even a chassis that is usable. And even more so, being able to find these cars in certain areas is next to impossible. For my case, being in the midwest cuts the potential cars by 3/4. I'm not here to complain, just saying this is why I drive an 89 Supra. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by struck by Lightning View Post
      I use to question the cut off year as you are now but understand why the rule is in place so, if you can't beat them, join them.
      What is the reason for the cutoff?
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

It goes to the bigger question of why the cutoff in many shows across the country. I live in Southern California, and I still see some shows cut off at 1972, but many go to '76, or '81 now. It seems to me that 1972 was the standard year for a long time, and the later cars being less desirable should be excluded. But as the cars get older, and become more expensive, it is a reality that many guys are buying 1973 and newer cars. There are a lot of great later models being PT'd or just restored in general. It does take a little more effort or creativity to make some of these later cars as cool as the earlier cars. I don't mean that in a negative way, just from the experience I have with the car I own, which is firmly planted in the category of "big bumper, smog era" domestic car, but I know my car, and many other PT members cars can be just as interesting, and well performing as any earlier car. The other shows such as optima USCA, Cam Challenge, NMCA have no year restrictions at their events. It's time for a review of the rules at the Good Guys. I would invite a representative from the GG organization to post some feedback on this thread to get some perspective direct from the source. Let's face it....if we didn't care about the GG shows, we wouldn't be posting these comments. We like your events. We want to participate, and spend our money at your venues.
      1973 Hurst Edition Pontiac Grand Am: 430 CI of ERL built LS7, Tremec Magnum T-56 6-speed, Global West / Speedtech Suspension, Custom rear coil-over suspension, QA1 double adjustable shocks, Wilwood 6/4 piston disc brakes, Modulare C1 19" concave wheels. Shooting for 625 HP and 20 MPG!

Goodguys has obviously looked at including newer cars - that's why we have All American Sundays and weekends... But if they can have a full show with just the older cars, what reason do they have to allow the newer cars in? Of course there's always going to be someone who has a car that doesn't quite fit the requirements, so it seems like attendance numbers are the easiest way to decide if the rules should be changed. Just an FYI, I have heard rumors of slowly moving the age cut-off each year.

If you're just looking for more autox runs, I'd recommend hitting up your local SCCA events. They're much more frequent and just as much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Quicktrick Gil View Post
      This exact conversation is why most guys my age are driving imports. I'm 24. I love all the old American classics, but for someone even in a middle class family to obtain even a chassis that is usable. And even more so, being able to find these cars in certain areas is next to impossible. For my case, being in the midwest cuts the potential cars by 3/4. I'm not here to complain, just saying this is why I drive an 89 Supra. Haha
      I've seen a lot of nice 6 cylinder Mustangs on Craigslist lately. Pop a 289 in there and you have yourself a fun little car for a bit less money than a new compact.
      1969 El Camino

Quote Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
      What is the reason for the cutoff?
      Gary Meadors enjoyed street rods and founded Goodguys after organizing a street rod event in Lodi, CA. 30+ years ago. Here's an article on Goodguy Gary Meadors http://autoweek.com/article/car-life...dors-1939-2015

George Dias
      1973 Camaro
      2002 SVT Lightning
      2003 Z06 Corvette

2015 Truckin Throwdown Champion http://www.trucktrend.com/events/tru...by-ebc-brakes/

Goodguys is always looking to improve events and participation in them including AUTOCROSS at the events, but there is a fine line when it comes to that.

This past weekend in Columbus we always here that there is to many cars and the guys in the AUTOCROSS do not get that many runs. If we open the years you will get less runs as there will be many more cars.

The All American Sunday was to open the event to ALL years American Made or Powered cars and it works. We run AUTOCROSS just for those years of cars all day Sunday. We also have three events in Southern Cali that are all years all days.

We could up the years but where do you draw the line in the sand as the Camaro, Mustang and Trucks all have very different year breaks after the 72 year. My thought would be 87 cutoff and then you would cover most groups of the cars that would come to events. There is a lot of cool cars in those years and it could add to the event, but with more cars come less space and less runs in the AUTOCROSS.

Of course Goodguys is always looking to improve and we do listen to what you all say.

Stay tune and come by our SEMA booth and maybe you will see the years change at some events.

Ed

Thanks for the response Ed, and that's what I had figured. I think it would largely depend on the event, and how full a typical weekend runs. Like in Scottsdale, I know that the show field on Friday and Saturday is typically PACKED, up the sides of the berms, there literally is not any more room for parking. But that is where All American Sunday works, because attendance usually drops off on Sundays. The only drawback to the later years going in is that it's not only Mustangs, A-bodies, and F-bodies, but I've noticed a lot of slammed trucks... not to sound like an exclusionist and a grumpy old man (I'm 30), but they're a different element from the traditional Goodguy's crowd. Even I don't care for them trying to beat one another with who has the hardest hitting subs, I find it annoying.

While you're on the line though, Ed, I've probably got one unrelated suggestion. I think the music can go up another decade in rock, maybe up to the 70's. Give us a little Zeppelin, CCR, mix it up a little! Nothing wrong with the 50's/60's rock for me, but I know it's harder for pretty much all of my generation to get into. 70's rock is more relatable.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

I've seen a lot of nice 6 cylinder Mustangs on Craigslist lately. Pop a 289 in there and you have yourself a fun little car for a bit less money than a new compact.
      I'll have to keep my out around for something around here. Indiana is not kind to cars on the long term. Haha I plan on taking the Supra autoxing, and to the road courses. I'll have all the suspension parts within the next week, so it shouldn't be too longer until I'm out on the track.

Yes, thank you Ed for your feedback. Moving the cutoff year to 1987 would be very generous, and will help include many cool vehicles as you pointed out. Your points are well taken in regard to the autocross events and the high number of cars that attend each day. It sound like some positive changes are being considered for the future GG events in 2017. I also second the music suggestions.
      1973 Hurst Edition Pontiac Grand Am: 430 CI of ERL built LS7, Tremec Magnum T-56 6-speed, Global West / Speedtech Suspension, Custom rear coil-over suspension, QA1 double adjustable shocks, Wilwood 6/4 piston disc brakes, Modulare C1 19" concave wheels. Shooting for 625 HP and 20 MPG!

Thanks for the response Ed, I'm all about moving it to 87 and I'm really glad we got a response from a good guys rep

I'm personally more interested in the race portion than having my car enter the show, so I agree that the 72 year cutoff for autocross seems a little archaic. I can totally understand the being overwhelmed with entrants but seems the easy fix as has been suggested is have a limit like many events do.

I for one would love to race my 79 G body Cutlass on the days that the big boys and girls run, so I can compare times, rub shoulders, get some driving tips, maybe get a ride along or invite one of the pro drivers to drive my car for a lap. I've raced several local SCCA races and you just don't get that opportunity there, i.e. insight from someone driving an old school pro touring car is often quite different from someone driving a late model front wheel drive car that SCCA events are full of. I'm fairly serious about my car's performance too so running on Sunday with many folks with no experience isn't as much fun either. Getting beat by the top drivers for me would be more motivating to improve than to beat a group of mostly amateurs in cars that should be beating me.

I like NSRA's idea of having a rolling year cut off. 30 or 35 years old seems fair to me as far as considering a car "old school". Even if the cutoff were 40 years, at least I'd know this year would be 1976 and in 3 years my car would be open to join in the fun.

GG puts on some great events, especially for the scale it must take a lot of planning and hard work to do so, so kudos to everyone involved there. I hope that somewhere in the near future the powers that be can find a happy medium for us guys with the not so old muscle cars to join in for the entire weekend too.
      -Ben, Your friendly neighborhood Rendering dude

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

Quote Originally Posted by Goodguy Ed View Post
      Goodguys is always looking to improve events and participation in them including AUTOCROSS at the events, but there is a fine line when it comes to that.

This past weekend in Columbus we always here that there is to many cars and the guys in the AUTOCROSS do not get that many runs. If we open the years you will get less runs as there will be many more cars.

The All American Sunday was to open the event to ALL years American Made or Powered cars and it works. We run AUTOCROSS just for those years of cars all day Sunday. We also have three events in Southern Cali that are all years all days.

We could up the years but where do you draw the line in the sand as the Camaro, Mustang and Trucks all have very different year breaks after the 72 year. My thought would be 87 cutoff and then you would cover most groups of the cars that would come to events. There is a lot of cool cars in those years and it could add to the event, but with more cars come less space and less runs in the AUTOCROSS.

Of course Goodguys is always looking to improve and we do listen to what you all say.

Stay tune and come by our SEMA booth and maybe you will see the years change at some events.

Ed
      Ed, the twilight autocross was awesome in Columbus. I was flat wore out by 7:30pm Saturday. Love the concept and idea to extend the seat time and camaraderie. I thoroughly enjoyed the event.

I have been wondering why (and what it would take) for GG's to begin another sub brand catering to the 1973-newer with the same presence of the 1972-older cars. Sure, the people required to run the shows and build upon the already strong GG's brand would be an investment but having a similar schedule coinciding as GoodGuys All American Weekends for the newer gen cars and participants would be a very cool add on to your existing platform of pre-1972, All American Sundays, Get-Together's, etc. This would bring completely different sponsors, participants and age groups to the GoodGuys brand. I am sure there are many counterpoints and challenges to the idea but at least thought I would throw the concept at you.

Jay

Look at NSRA, National STREET ROD association it accepts vehicles 30 years old and older. I do see where Ed is coming from. At the Colorado Nationals unless you get there early sat and sun even Fri. Good luck trying to find a parking place inside on the grass. With adding years parking would be impossible.

Tim
      1971 Buick Sportwagon pro-touring project.
      1985 Ford Crown Victoria 2 door
      2000 Ford Crown Victoria

Cruisin the Coast here in Mississippi has a 25 year rolling cutoff. Last year there were over 7,000 cars registered, and many more that don't register, but cruise around. The traffic is insane. In defense of the GG '72 rule, I can see where increasing the cut off year could cause problems with congestion at some GG venues. Another big recession might change things, though.

Now I'll get on my soap box here a minute - The reason you won't get many autocross passes in at a Good Guys event is because they let the "Pros" run so many more times than the "Joes". They start with the pros, end with the pros, and run the pros at the top of every hour! Pros will get 2 to 3 times more runs than anyone else. The last few GG events I have attended, I got 2 runs in the morning and 2 runs in the afternoon. That is it. And if you leave the autocross area to go check out some show cars, visit a vendor booth, or get something to eat....... you better not miss your turn! If you do and try to get back in line out of sequence, they will pull you out of line and park you. You are a second class citizen at a GG autocross if you are not a pro. By the way, if I remember correctly, the pros were originally called "Vendors". I spoke to someone at GG about this last year, and they mentioned to me that they want the autocross to become more of an "event" to draw spectators, and are not really focused on having something for regular members to participate in. Listen to how excited the guy on the loudspeaker gets with his commentary on the pros vs his comments on the joes. Chad Reynolds did a great job of commenting in some way about everyone running, not just the pros. Those days are gone.
      My theory on the vendors being there in the first place is that they want to show potential customers what their products can do. In my opinion, the regular "joes" running the autocross are their potential customers. If we stop showing up, who are they going to sell their products to?
      I am not bashing the vendors with my comments. We need them there. I enjoy watching them run and talking to them about their products (I run many of their products on my cars). They have always been more than nice to me.
      Ok, off of my soap box.
      I would encourage guys with post '72 cars to try USCA and SCCA CAM. I have been doing that this year, and can promise you will get plenty of runs in!
      I also second updating the music by a decade. Throw in some 70s rock. Not all of us are into the sock hop music and poodle skirts.
      Jeff Peoples

Goodguys will change. They like the other show/event promoters will have to if they want to keep their show's and organizations relevant to the younger crowd that replaces the getting older and dying "Baby Boomer's" who created this foolish hobby!

NSRA made the change to a rolling 30 year rule as mentioned in an earlier post. Bitch Bitch Bitch that was all that was heard from a lot of NSRA members when that announcement was made with many saying they would never come back. Those same members who Bitched the loudest were BACK 2 years later driving their 69 Camaro's and other Musclecars leaving their beloved "Street Rods" at home. Just like this year at the NSRA Louisville Nationals more and more 1949 and NEWER vehicles in attendance. That trend will continue to grow. In 5 years NSRA will have the change the name of the event as all the OLD Street Rodder's will be dead or unable to drive their Street Rod!

The interesting part is that the number of cars in attendance at the NSRA Nationals is nowhere near the record levels set in the 1990's but continues to be consistent over the last 5 years. More and More the same year after year attendee's are now driving their newer cars that meet the new 30 year & older rolling vehicle model year rule and are NOT Street Rods . That's the part I think that Goodguys and other promoter's miss that continue to have a 40+ year vehicle model year restriction rule.

Opening up the attendance to newer cars will result in a greater car count overall in the beginning as you will get some of the "All American Sunday" crowd want to come early and participate in the entire event. That will level out over time. You will also get the regular 1972 model vehicle and older crowd who now attends the Goodguy's meets SWITCHING and driving their "newer" model cars that still fall under whatever year limit rule Goodguy's management thinks up.

Knowing Goodguy's there is no way in Hell that they will make the vehicle model year transition EASY for them and more importantly for US the attendee's!
      Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

Im debating about running my car at texas gigues but i dont want to make an ass out of myself or worst yet kiss a wall or kill some cones lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BuickGS View Post
      Cruisin the Coast here in Mississippi has a 25 year rolling cutoff. Last year there were over 7,000 cars registered, and many more that don't register, but cruise around. The traffic is insane. In defense of the GG '72 rule, I can see where increasing the cut off year could cause problems with congestion at some GG venues. Another big recession might change things, though.

Now I'll get on my soap box here a minute - The reason you won't get many autocross passes in at a Good Guys event is because they let the "Pros" run so many more times than the "Joes". They start with the pros, end with the pros, and run the pros at the top of every hour! Pros will get 2 to 3 times more runs than anyone else. The last few GG events I have attended, I got 2 runs in the morning and 2 runs in the afternoon. That is it. And if you leave the autocross area to go check out some show cars, visit a vendor booth, or get something to eat....... you better not miss your turn! If you do and try to get back in line out of sequence, they will pull you out of line and park you. You are a second class citizen at a GG autocross if you are not a pro. By the way, if I remember correctly, the pros were originally called "Vendors". I spoke to someone at GG about this last year, and they mentioned to me that they want the autocross to become more of an "event" to draw spectators, and are not really focused on having something for regular members to participate in. Listen to how excited the guy on the loudspeaker gets with his commentary on the pros vs his comments on the joes. Chad Reynolds did a great job of commenting in some way about everyone running, not just the pros. Those days are gone.
      My theory on the vendors being there in the first place is that they want to show potential customers what their products can do. In my opinion, the regular "joes" running the autocross are their potential customers. If we stop showing up, who are they going to sell their products to?
      I am not bashing the vendors with my comments. We need them there. I enjoy watching them run and talking to them about their products (I run many of their products on my cars). They have always been more than nice to me.
      Ok, off of my soap box.
      I would encourage guys with post '72 cars to try USCA and SCCA CAM. I have been doing that this year, and can promise you will get plenty of runs in!
      I also second updating the music by a decade. Throw in some 70s rock. Not all of us are into the sock hop music and poodle skirts.
      I know lots of people who aren't pros but have the same "first class" status. I think it's more about being known in the community than having a pro sticker on your quarter panel.

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
      Goodguys will change. They like the other show/event promoters will have to if they want to keep their show's and organizations relevant to the younger crowd that replaces the getting older and dying "Baby Boomer's" who created this foolish hobby!

NSRA made the change to a rolling 30 year rule as mentioned in an earlier post. Bitch Bitch Bitch that was all that was heard from a lot of NSRA members when that announcement was made with many saying they would never come back. Those same members who Bitched the loudest were BACK 2 years later driving their 69 Camaro's and other Musclecars leaving their beloved "Street Rods" at home. Just like this year at the NSRA Louisville Nationals more and more 1949 and NEWER vehicles in attendance. That trend will continue to grow. In 5 years NSRA will have the change the name of the event as all the OLD Street Rodder's will be dead or unable to drive their Street Rod!

The interesting part is that the number of cars in attendance at the NSRA Nationals is nowhere near the record levels set in the 1990's but continues to be consistent over the last 5 years. More and More the same year after year attendee's are now driving their newer cars that meet the new 30 year & older rolling vehicle model year rule and are NOT Street Rods . That's the part I think that Goodguys and other promoter's miss that continue to have a 40+ year vehicle model year restriction rule.

Opening up the attendance to newer cars will result in a greater car count overall in the beginning as you will get some of the "All American Sunday" crowd want to come early and participate in the entire event. That will level out over time. You will also get the regular 1972 model vehicle and older crowd who now attends the Goodguy's meets SWITCHING and driving their "newer" model cars that still fall under whatever year limit rule Goodguy's management thinks up.

Knowing Goodguy's there is no way in Hell that they will make the vehicle model year transition EASY for them and more importantly for US the attendee's!
      The way I see it, the NSRA has seen a drop in the street rod crowd. They've lost some of those attendees. They've partially made up for it with the newer car guys, but that's just shifting the demographics. For me, I'm much less excited to go to a show that allows cars newer than '72 or '73. I simply find newer cars uninteresting. If the 80's cars start to take over, I'm not gonna bother attending. And I'm 22 years old, not an old fart.
      1969 El Camino

Guys, Thanks for the feedback on both the years and the Autocross.

Talk is still going on here about the year change and what events could see that increase and which ones could not. We will be moving the year break to 87 but not sure which events will get that increase and it would not be until 2018 as we have a lot of PR to do so everyone knows and we talk to that group of car guys.
      Autocross, please understand the PRO guys have put in the time and travel from event to event with Goodguys and are what we consider the feature of the AC. We try to keep everyone enjoying the event from all aspects spectator and driver and the spectators want to see the PRO guys run often so we do that. The as you refer to as the local Joes we run as much as we can in order and we added Twilight AC to the mix at some events to extend the hours for those Local Joes. There is always a balance with promotions and event logistics and we change to make it better as we can.

Music at events, man I am with you on that and I have discussed it and we should see better stuff for 2017 as we will redo it over the off season.

Other new item:
      "Music City Mayhem" 32 car field Autocross Shootout to be held at Nashville for 2017 with $5000 in cash up for grabs. All Race in spots no PRO's or points get you in. We will take the top four right to Scottsdale in the Fall for the Finally. This will run along with the "Duel in Des Moines" that was a great event.

Hope this helps answer some questions.
      Goodguy Ed

Just my .02 and two bit opinion
      30 years or older is a great program and number. It keeps the demographics relevant continually. It doesn't effect us old guys but certainly brings in new ones, which is a positive for everyone.
      Bill

Trailers are for BOATS!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com