Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

71 Cutlass Convertible Restomod

A coworker's brother in law has been after me for a few years to restomod his first car, a 1971 Cutlass convertible. Since I retired last fall and need to keep busy I agreed to do it for him. Not a show car by any means, the intention is a clean reliable driver. Car needed full floor and trunk floor, rear quarters, toe panels, trunk drop offs and miscellaneous patches. Installed an LS3 4L65E Connect and Cruise, a 12 bolt rear, about 75% of a ridetech street grip package (long story), Dakota Digital gauges, Vintage Air, Entropy radiator and fan controller, Vaporworks fuel system, AAW Chevelle Classic Update harness, Kore3 C5 brakes and a Turn One steering box. He wanted a stock looking interior and we did a 442 W30 clone exterior. The wheel selection was his, it seems he did not like the $3500 three piece wheels I recommended. To keep the budget reasonable no effort was made to beautify the underhood appearance. The GM harnesses etc were used as purchased. We took it on its shakedown cruise yesterday without a hitch. He seemed very happy aside from he couldn't take it home due to rain. Start to finish the project took six months.

He still needs to take it to a shop to have the convertible top installed. I know the limitations of my backyard hack skill set and that job is well beyond it...

I used SPI epoxy, medium red and black basecoats and their Universal Clear along with Z-Chrome Rust Defender and SEM bedliner on the underside and trunk floor. We used Phoenix Graphics stencils for the stripes and there is nothing more frustrating than trying to lay flat mylar stencils on curved surfaces. I doubt I will try that again. I also used a white sealer to make the red "pop" and I don't think I will do that again.

Highlights were the Dakota Digital gauges, vaporworx tank/controller and the Holley accessories/mounts/pan. All these products installed and worked without a hitch. I especially liked having all the gauges run off the bus using the factory sensors etc. The Turn One steering box also has a great feel.

1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

It's not often you see a build done from start to finish in one post. Makes it seem easy, kinda like those Overhaulin shows.

Looks great, and I like the wheels too.
      1960 Biscayne
      Steve

It's mostly a bolt on car so I don't see much point in posting a lot of pics showing me bolting stuff on... LOL...
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com