Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by 83rdracer View Post
      Ben I hope Speedtech can overcome the design issues with the 3rd gen platform. The front frame rails are very narrow at about 32" between them. The frame under the floor is even worse as it follows the contour of the trans tunnel and hugs a 7000R4 like a second skin. This leaves no room for long tube headers or collector extensions to run along side the transmission. The firewall and floor pan of a 3rd gen are made of 20 to 22 gauge sheetmetal and will require extensive plating and reinforcement to accept a bolt-in sub frame like a 1st or 2nd gen Camaro.

If you follow the posts on thirdgen.org the members there are looking for a suspension that provides a decent amount of camber gain so we don't have to run so much static camber; a spindle that will have a small scrub radius when running 305 or 315 tires; a tighter turning radius; decent akerman, and rack and pinion steering. Oh yeah it has to shave 30lbs off the factory stuff too!

I have installed a modified SLA front suspension from a 2000 Z28 into my 83 Z28. I used the lower A-arms, spindles, and steering rack, mounted on a custom K-member. The front wheels were moved 5" forward in the process to try and get a more favorable F/R weight distribution. Although it was a lot of work I now have a completely adjustable front end, caster/camber, toe and bump steer, anti-dive, roll center and ride height. I am hoping it will handle very well when it is completed.

My attempt at building a capable track day car...

Well the goal will be to make is less involved that the road your traveling that is for sure. the rails are about 3" narrower than our upper control arm mounting width. our WMS measurement is the same at 60" so that is a bonus. it will involve some cutting and fabricating I can assure you. it may be able to make it bolt in the factory K member location with modifications to the strut towers and frame rails. we will see. thanks for the info and pics.
      Blake Foster
      www.speedtechperformance.com
      435-628-4300
      St. George Utah.
      it's always sunny here.

Hey all you 3rd gen guys, the time has arrived to resurrect this thread! After getting a bunch of other projects finished up and launching a new ExtReme chassis for 64-67 Chevelles, '60-66 C10s, and '53-56 Ford F100's we're ready to get back to the mullet racer '91 Camaro platform. As has been said this is a great car to begin with, they're out there to be had at still reasonable prices, they come with a liot of attached memories as they were prowling the streets when many of us were at a great time of our lives, and hey, they really aren't bad looking when you get rid of the overly fat protruding rear tires and stick on auto parts store bling aisle specials.

With that in mind we're heading forward to completely redesigning the platform, adapting our proven to be the best overall design in Pro-Touring suspension into the 3rd gen Camaro/Firebird platform. You'll see the same layout found in previous ExtReme platforms of upper and lower control arms with all that leading edge geometry, and at this point we're after 315 tires up front. Again we're proposing this won't be just replacement parts that improve over factory performance a little, we're after the best street suspension upgrade on the market. Check out the pics to get the thread started and stay tuned as it all unfolds!

-Ben, Creative Director at Speedtech Performance
      We sell some really cool parts, build cool cars, and do cool concept renderings too!
      435-628-4300 www.speedtechperformance.com
      My Pumkinator build thread- https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=pumkinator

-Ben, Creative Director at Speedtech Performance
      We sell some really cool parts, build cool cars, and do cool concept renderings too!
      435-628-4300 www.speedtechperformance.com
      My Pumkinator build thread- https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=pumkinator

Quote Originally Posted by Ben@SpeedTech View Post
      With that in mind we're heading forward to completely redesigning the platform, adapting our proven to be the best overall design in Pro-Touring suspension into the 3rd gen Camaro/Firebird platform. You'll see the same layout found in previous ExtReme platforms of upper and lower control arms with all that leading edge geometry, and at this point we're after 315 tires up front.
      315s aren't that hard to fit with the right wheel backspacing. We've been running them on ours for 2 years now with minimal body work to get them to fit. Just a few hits with a hammer mainly.
      Tom Pichette

Pit crew for Valerie Pichette and her 1988 Pontiac TransAm GTA "DragonLady"

Ron, no more updates? Car seems to have gone into paint this time last year

Livermore, CA
      American:
      1966 Chevelle SS "Tribute" Retro / Pro-Tour
      For Sale

Here is an update
      Just finalizing pricing
      With ridetech single adjustable (custom Valved) JRI double adjustable shocks will be a small up charge
      Front Subframe
      Mid sub frame connector kit
      Rear torque arm

Rear end housing with 31 spline axles extra 899.00
      9" 31 spline Tru Track Nodular 3rd member also available.

This will allow true dual exhaust (our headers will be required)

Here is the deal tell us you read it here first we will take 1000.00 off the total price on orders placed and paid for by the end of September

This is a not comparable to ANYTHING on the market that I know of, it is essentially a 3 part system.
      The front Subframe (for lack of a better description) that will require cutting and welding.
      The mid section which is a sub frame connecting system the also incorporates the trans mount and Torque arm mount, front Roll cage mounts and ties into the rear trailing arm mount as well.
      The Rear is 99% bolt in coil over mounts an adjustable pan hard bar mount. it will require a new 9" housing because all the brackets are specific.

RS chassis is 21,000 for all comparable parts and you need to replace the entire floor!
      DSE is over 9000 and is control arms and struts up front
      JRI double adjustable shocks will be a small up charge

I suppose it won't be for everyone, we will probably do control arms and struts in the future as well to cover off that market segment as well.

will post pics in a couple days
      Blake Foster
      435-628-4300
      St. George Utah.
      it's always sunny here.

Quote Originally Posted by qnitro View Post
      What rear tire will it allow?
      315 Front and rear. that is as big as you will ever get in that car with out a plazma cutter
      Blake Foster
      435-628-4300
      St. George Utah.
      it's always sunny here.

some pics of the "Chassis"

Name:  3G_1.jpg
Views: 1994
Size:  13.8 KB
      Name:  3G_2.jpg
Views: 2063
Size:  13.8 KB
      Name:  3G_5.jpg
Views: 1945
Size:  11.3 KB

The front pads on the "sub Frame Connector" are also Roll Bar mounting pads that bolt in or weld in.
      Blake Foster
      435-628-4300
      St. George Utah.
      it's always sunny here.

I’ve been looking for a good excuse to grow a mullet. This could be it....

Looks great.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      I’ve been looking for a good excuse to grow a mullet. This could be it....

Looks great.

Don
      God I wish I could photoshop

That sounds like a heck of an option/price compared to what else is out there.

My 89 GTA is never going anywhere, so I'm definitely interested. It's just got Koni struts and lowering springs now. It's not bad but the scrub radius on these things sucks.

Traven

Country Flag: Canada
      Looking forward to seeing how this works out! Coming from the team at SpeedTech I’m sure it’s going to be awesome. At that price you could have a wicked third gen for far less than the price of admission for most other platforms. I’m sure some folks will complain but the SLA design is the way to go and can do nothing but improve an already decent starting point.
      James
      1967 Camaro RS - The OLC
      1984 Camaro GT1
      1989 Camaro 1LE - The BOC

[QUOTE=killer69;1306861]Here is an update
      Just finalizing pricing
      With ridetech single adjustable (custom Valved) JRI double adjustable shocks will be a small up charge
      Front Subframe
      Mid sub frame connector kit
      Rear torque arm

Rear end housing with 31 spline axles extra 899.00
      9" 31 spline Tru Track Nodular 3rd member also available.

This will allow true dual exhaust (our headers will be required)

Here is the deal tell us you read it here first we will take 1000.00 off the total price on orders placed and paid for by the end of September
      <SNIPPED> [/QUOTE=killer69;1306861]

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 2563
Size:  156.2 KB
      1986 IROC LT1/4L60E conversion. (probably go to an LS/T56 next). It's already famous, it's on about 20 or so U-haul trucks hahaha

w0w I want to do something but that seems excessive for me (unless I started competing for street car or good guys autocross series etc.(but then you are going against a Detroit Speed funded.built Camaro (DSEZ)... Was hoping there was an intermediary, internal/external sub frame connectors control arms, spindles (to fit "the" tires!")

I'll keep an eye on the space... Thanks for the update..

And ya need to change my sig now.. Chevelle is gone...

Livermore, CA
      American:
      1966 Chevelle SS "Tribute" Retro / Pro-Tour
      For Sale

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com