Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 73 Firebird

73 Firebird

So...its time for a long time overdue refresh of my Firebird! It has been sitting for 5 years now and used to be my daily driver so its not the cleanest/neatest car out there. The body and paint are perfect but the rest...not so much. Theres already a few mods on it...wheels, coil overs, brakes, 700R4 and some bits here and there on the 455 but I'll be going beyond that without going nuts.

For the time being the first thing will be to strip it down and redo the floorpan...

Before...

No project name yet...Im thinking either Eyfogedboudit or The GuvnaŽ for its previous life in Italy or its future life in England haha!
      Manuel Scettri
      ------------------------------------------------
      1973 Firebird - Pontiac 455
      1990 2 Door 4Runner - byebye
      2016 KIA Sportage diesel - The Daily Driver

Country Flag: United States
      Looks like my kind of shop, full of Pontiacs Trans Am's and Dodge Chargers ;-)
      Good luck with your build.
      Pat

Good stuff :]
      HELP!!!
      1973 TA 4 spd #'s match red/white = STOLEN
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...55#post1106255

Quote Originally Posted by keepat View Post
      Looks like my kind of shop, full of Pontiacs Trans Am's and Dodge Chargers ;-)
      Good luck with your build.
      Pat
      I thought the same! It's actually a shop in Miami that specializes in Firebirds. As I'm out of the country now I needed to have someone with experience and a good reputation to do the build. They sell cars too...SO tempted by some of the stock they have!

http://www.transamflorida.com
      Manuel Scettri

Nothing better than taking all that gunk off! On the plus side I guess that leaking rear main gave everything a nice coat of oil so...no rust! haha! Although its a Florida car its been sitting in a parking garage that gets standing water in it when it rains hard...so I thought there might be a bit of rust. But absolutely none other than surface rust on the axle and a couple other bits. But a nice sandblasting and some new paint took care of all that...

The 10 bolt is staying for now with the leafs and shocks it has. The front is getting Speedtech parts and later on at some point IŽll get the matching torque arm setup to go with it.

Manuel Scettri

Of course it cant be all good news. Damn. :( The engine had a leaking rear main...so to take care of that the pan and main caps had to come off to put in a new seal...and good thing we did! The bearings were totally shot. A bit more driving with the engine as is and it would have spun one for sure or worst. The last time I drove it I did notice the oil pressure went down some when I went around a long turn but I thought it was just low oil level since it hadn't happened before. Anyway...this gets me thinking even more. Keep the 455 or go with an LQ9? The 455 would just get a rebuild and keep the iron heads so nothing high powered or anything. On the other hand the LQ9 has all the usual LS advantages and its way cheaper! I'm not even going to ask for everyones opinion as I know the Pontiac/nonPontiac engine debate heats up pretty quick haha! So Im going to have to price things out and see...

Manuel Scettri

Pontiac vs LS.....Since I have that experience behind me, I vote LS.
      1973 Hurst Edition Pontiac Grand Am: 430 CI of ERL built LS7, Tremec Magnum T-56 6-speed, Global West / Speedtech Suspension, Custom rear coil-over suspension, QA1 double adjustable shocks, Wilwood 6/4 piston disc brakes, Modulare C1 19" concave wheels. Shooting for 625 HP and 20 MPG!

I would question the LQ9 being cheaper.

Now would be a good time to install some weld in subframe connectors
      Some times I'm fast sometimes I'm half-fast

If I was going for a fully built LS then yes, I'd go straight for that option. But I'm on a budget so my choices are either a very mild 455 or an LQ9. I found a place that does a complete plug and play LQ for 5000 with 425hp (big cam, tune, etc). The 455 will most likely have better torque but there's the obvious advantages of the new engine design/tech.

Later...why so pro LS?

Rohrt...yup, connectors are going in too! I'll post stuff up as it arrives or gets installed.
      Manuel Scettri

Nice one...Kore3 brakes arrived! Once the front Speedtech parts get here it can be back on the ground.

Engine wise it's getting disassembled to see what's what inside. Think I might end up rebuilding it for now.
      Manuel Scettri

Quote Originally Posted by Later-A-body View Post
      Mainly from the fact that after agonizing over the Pontiac vs LS swap that most Pontiac guys are subject to from the hardcore Pontiac enthusiasts (which I have been for a long time), I have had such a positive experience with the LS7 that I can't see myself going back. Everything is better. The reliability, mileage, horsepower. I had a very high powered 455 in the GA. It put down 437 HP, and 457 TQ to the wheels on a conservative Mustang dyno, so I know what that kind of power feels like. The LS7 is better in every way, and it makes more power, but feels so much more driveable and less radical than the Pontiac was. Plus it doesn't leak from the dreaded rear main seal. I also lost 200 lbs. right over the nose of the car. Modern technology....it's worth the investment.
      1973 Hurst Edition Pontiac Grand Am: 430 CI of ERL built LS7, Tremec Magnum T-56 6-speed, Global West / Speedtech Suspension, Custom rear coil-over suspension, QA1 double adjustable shocks, Wilwood 6/4 piston disc brakes, Modulare C1 19" concave wheels. Shooting for 625 HP and 20 MPG!

I hear you. No doubt gas mileage and weight are way beyond what a 455 offers...just that is reason enough to change over. Unfortunately the budget doesn't allow it now...but its the next project in the cards once this is done and I save up again.
      Manuel Scettri

How did you like the 700r4 behind the 455, and what rear gears?

Quote Originally Posted by Later-A-body View Post
      LOL as the guy that bought your motor and is now finishing up an ls3 top end forged 6.0 to put in my bird ,I agree with you!

Cool car original poster!!! I've been in your shoes and have had lots of LS cars including a supercharged 5th gen SS and Tahoe I currently own. I'm going LS.... If you do decide to stick with Pontiac I have a forged 455 with ported heads and roller cam....
      1973 Firebird 466 Pontiac, T56, C5 Brakes, PTFB and Hotchkis suspension
      2011 Camaro SS Supercharged, ZL1 body and brakes, Z28 suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by SPDMETL View Post
      How did you like the 700r4 behind the 455, and what rear gears?
      The 700 was a good improvement for sure! I can't recall the gears in the rear, last time I touched the diff was in '95, but I think they're 3.33s. The only issue with the 700 was adjusting the shifting so the clutches didn't burn out when it up shifted. But other than that it's an cheap, easy, and quick upgrade that has benefits. I'm going to a TKO now though...I just prefer a manual in an older car.
      Manuel Scettri

Quote Originally Posted by 70Uglybird View Post
      LOL as the guy that bought your motor and is now finishing up an ls3 top end forged 6.0 to put in my bird ,I agree with you!

Cool car original poster!!! I've been in your shoes and have had lots of LS cars including a supercharged 5th gen SS and Tahoe I currently own. I'm going LS.... If you do decide to stick with Pontiac I have a forged 455 with ported heads and roller cam....
      Thanks! It's an older PT build ('95 for most things)...back when that type of part was much harder to find. So with all these cool parts now it's time for some upgrades!

Thanks for the engine offer. I already have a 455 so I'm just going to refurb the crank, put new bearings in it and a roller can and be done with it for now. Then it's off to LS land...
      Manuel Scettri

Next thing is wheels...Ive been slacking on getting them considering the brakes already arrived and the suspension is on its way! Im going for a set of the E/T LTIII...I think they look great on 2nd Gens, gives that vintage TransAm vibe but theyre still 18s. Its a big back and forth on many forums but looks like Im settling for 18x9 with 5.5" backspace and 18x10 with 6" backspace. As is the norm though with the BS topic Im not 100% clear if those numbers will work without rubbing...it seems like they should!

Manuel Scettri

As I said brakes got here last week...and the rears are on! Looking good. Fronts have to wait until the Speedtech parts arrive...

Manuel Scettri

As for the BS I don't know much about a 9" on the front so I'm looking forward to seeing your results. Most common I have seen are 8" wheel with 4.5" of BS. I have seen wider like 10" but they were on aftermarket subframes.

For the rears on a stock setup (no mini tubs, offset rear leafs, IRS, etc.) 10" wide with a 5.5" BS (which can fit up to a 285 tire depending on mfg) is the most common I have seen there. Again, plenty have gone wider & bigger but it requires some work

What size & brand tires are you going with again?

Car is looking good too!
      HELP!!!
      1973 TA 4 spd #'s match red/white = STOLEN
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...55#post1106255

Yeah the 18x9s are pretty common now. The billet Snowflakes YO makes are that size and many people use them in the front.

Not sure what brand I'll use, something purely for the summer that's for sure. I have Nitto NT-02s right now 255s all around. I might actually stay with 8" wide wheels and the 255s up front. In the back 18x10 and 295s for sure.
      Manuel Scettri

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com