Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Pinion angle for a 67 camaro with an LS motor.

I have a 67 camaro with a 12 bolt rear end along with a Detroit speed four link rear set up. The motor is an LS 3 with a Trimic 6060 trans. From what I have read, the angle should be 1 to 2 degrees negative at the diff housing. Is that correct. Were do you put the angle finder on the rear end and were can you get a finder locally. Thank you to all how respond.

Jim

Start by going to your local hardware store and buy an inexpensive digital level. Then come back here and do a search on drive line angles. There are hundreds of threads on this subject. It should be self-evident, but drive train questions belong in the drive train section which, oddly enough, is also where you will find the answer to your question.

Start reading here:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...iveline-angles
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Thank you steve

I'm going to suggest that if you have a smart phone you download the tremec tool box. It will tell you where the put your phone which will then act as an angle finder and then do the calculations for you.

I and others have found the Tremec app to give difference reading each time. I did a thread on it and found others have the same problem.I think that if your phone has a perfectly flat side it might work but the new phones all have bumps. I used a cheap angle finder from harbor freight. I turned the driveshaft so the pinion and trans output shaft were straightdown and too my angles at the u-joints.

1968 Camaro Convertible
      Hotchkis UCA - Detroit Speed LCA - Hotchkis 600 LB rate springs front - 178-180 lb leaf spring rear
      Hotchkis tuned fox shocks front and back
      18" wheel, 275 35 18, 25.6" diameter - 3.5 drop in front - 3" drop in rear, 8.5 GM 10 bolt,LS2, 4l65E, zero vibration.
      Front ride height measured from fender lip is 25.25 front and 25.75 rear
      No odd harmonics accelerating or decelerating and none present at cruising or freeway speeds.

Driveline angles are backwards due to lowering of vehicle?
      Eng,trans is 2.6 down - driveline is 2.9 up - pinion is 1.2 down with the pinion angle above the trans/driveline ride height.
      Should i try and correct to eliminate the 5.5 and the 4.1 working angles?
      if so how best to proceed?
      Name:  Angle.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  98.0 KBName:  DRIVELINE.JPG
Views: 1368
Size:  49.8 KB

Jim, here is a link on how to measure for a driveshaft, you can also use it to figure out your pinion angle. Buy any angle finder whether it be analog or digital (I have the digital from HarborFreight I think it was like $20 and its magnetic) Put it on the transmission tip and see your angle (lets say it's 87) that means your transmission is -3 degrees then you put it on the tip of your u joint (let's say its 93) that means your u joint is +3 degrees. You want your transmission angle to be as close as possible to the u joint angle so that they zero each other out. I believe for a four link 3 degrees is ideal. The 1-2 degrees you are talking about is for an IRS, there is much more travel in a four link vs IRS which has 0 travel at the u joint.

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/driveshaft-measurement

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com