Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Trunk Mounted A/C System

Anyone run one of these: http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalo..._35000000.html

Looking into putting one in my 86 Buick GN, just wondering how well it worked?

Mike
      86 Buick GN, Stage 2 V6, Twin EFR Turbos

Country Flag: United States
      Interesting. The compressor still mounts to the engine, and the condenser up front like usual as well..?

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

It seems as though running the lines and ducting back and forth through the car would be somewhat difficult to hide.
      1971 Firebird
      2017 Slipstream SS

Yes, the compressor is mounted like normal but there is an option for the condenser, they have one that can be mounted horizontal with a huge fan attached to it. If one were to run a fuel cell in the trunk the condenser could be mounted horizontal where the original gas tank was mounted. This appeals to me because of the huge front mount intercooler I have blocking my radiator.

Mike

I believe Vintage air also has a rear mount system. Condenser would be ok to mount under trunk floor as well.

Dont Prius have an all electric Air Conditioner? Seems you could mount one of those just about anywhere.

I have seen some street rods with electric air cons, I will try and find out where they sourced them.
      The rule is measure twice and cut once. My problem is I still measure with a mic and cut with an axe!

Country Flag: Canada
      Just confused as to why you would want to ....vs ... factory ,hot rod or , vintage air set up instead
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Quote Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
      Just confused as to why you would want to ....vs ... factory ,hot rod or , vintage air set up instead
      It sounds like his condenser real estate is limited by the radiator and intercooler.

I know people have used it primarily in say big 50's cars, like Caddy's and Buicks that may have had them anyways, in addition to the front system.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Quote Originally Posted by Protour_Pinto View Post
      Dont Prius have an all electric Air Conditioner? Seems you could mount one of those just about anywhere.

I have seen some street rods with electric air cons, I will try and find out where they sourced them.
      Pretty sure a Prius is already carrying some big battteries and running on more than 12 volts for the AC system. You still need a place to put the condenser.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Vintage Air does a trunk mounted EVAP unit and we can supply everything else you will need. There are a TON of options when it comes to configuring the package but we are happy to help you out and a top 10 Vintage Air Distributor.

MCB
      MCB - Matt's Classic Bowties
      5360 Gateway Plaza Dr.
      Benicia, Ca. 94510
      866-628-8746
      TEXT ONLY: 925-989-9091 (Replied 8-4)
      www.mcbparts.com

Email: [email protected]
      Like us on Facebook for exclusive offers, info and chat: www.facebook.com/mcbparts
      Hours: Monday to Friday 8am - 4pm Pacific
      We ALWAYS enjoy talking to our customers!
      We have a full time staff to answer ALL Questions, Tech Support or Order Status Tracking!

I've had this in the car for a few years now and all I can say is this system kicks ass, I love it. I put the outlet vents in my sound system rack where the rear seat used to be and it blows very cold and creates a wind storm in the car, I have zero issues staying cold in 100 degree 100% humidity in gridlock traffic. I give this system 10 stars.

Mike

Prius compressor runs on BIG battery, like 300 volts so it can run while car sits at lights.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com