Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Got the rails trimmed down and a crossmember tacked in. Tomorrow i will get the front horns tacked on and then drill the holes for the crossmember bolts and weld in the pipes for the bolts.

Starting to look serious!

1973 Corvette Factory Primer Car
      1969 Barracuda Convertible
      1967 Plymouth Valiant

Never would have guessed it tom but those 255s on the 10.5" rim are dead sexy. Cant wait to try them out and see the faces on the CAM-T guys lol

Spent a little bit in the garage today. Got my crossmember bolt sleeves cut and the holes in the rails drilled out. Found out my old black and decker doesnt like to work hard. It fought me and started spraying chucks of the motor brushes out so i had to go get a new craftsman drill. Bout a ****ty hole saw and burned that up fast. So i was left with wallowing out the holes with an old 5/8 drill bit.

Got my second layer of 2x3 on the rails to tie in to the crossmember supports. I will weld it all up tomorrow once i can bolt it down so it wont twist when hot

Got the front all welded up and started mocking up my LCA rear mounts. Going to have to drop a plate down about 2" from the frame to land them correctly and cant decide if a piece of 2x3 will be strong enough. Need some more vodka to think on that a while. Got my middle frame section tacked up to th front and some 2x3 layed in place. Need to clearance a little more so it lines up inside the rail and make some transition pieces where it drops down. My plan is to turn the 2x3 on its side to help gain ground clearance and once its welded up to cut the bottom of the rails off. I was also thinking with the cage it should be a little stronger. I was thinking a board lying flat would be harder to twist that a board on its side. Especially with some structure above it. Sounds great in my head. We will see how the idea works out once i get my cage in. The cage will be a jegs 12 point and should be here in a few days.

I am going tomorrow to get a used cab. Plan to mount that to the frame by building an outer frame rail out of some 1x2 and welding another piece to the pinch weld. This will allow me to bolt the cab to the frame and if need be pull it off over the cage. This will also allow me to take out the complete floor, firewall, and rear wall below the window and replac with aluminum. Hopefully saving some weight since my last cab weighed in just shy of 600# without doors.

Got the rear rails measured out and welded on. Put the rear axle in olace ad started trying to decide how i am going to make my 3 link bars. I bought 4ft length for each bar but im thinking i will only be able to use 3ft on either side. I need to get the cab on and the engine in beforr i can really figure out how to make a crossmember for the frame side of the lower links bars. Heres a picture of the mockup stages.

Trucks looking good. Seen you around a few times. I'm out in Lakeside. Need some ideas for handling on a budget, check out my build on my 77.
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...fast-and-Blown

Truck looks good! Looks like you have a good idea of the way to go. I would add a one ton sway bar to the front. My crossmember sits about where yours is with a 3" z w.5" spindles, springs. My front stays flat in a corner. Be careful with 305s on the front it might wanna push going into a corner. You can tune that though.
      For the rear i would brace between the leaf spring mounts. Like an x between them. I run 4 leafs with poly bushings and it runs ok. I had a slight body roll with that setup so after talking to Bryant at Current Auto Performance in El Cajon, he reccommended a panhard behind the axle to keep the axle centered. Rear end is now firmly planted and i have tons of adjustability to keep it olanted no matter the track setup. But binding always happens. Sliders replacing the shackles may help but i decided to go 3 link and coilovers with a brand new frame and 12 point cage to see if i can improve any.

Thanks man. I have a full set of 1 ton sway bars, im ditching the leaf springs, and going with Trailing arms setups from a 67-72 c10 with custom panhard and a Ford 9". I also have a full cage being built in, so that will control alot. Should run pretty flat when complete. we will see. The Chassis isnt complete, as i deployed (Navy) everything is on pause right now.

I was looking into that at first also. Read through Ron Suttons threads a million times and decided on a 3 link. Much more articulation and adjustability.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ink-bars/page2

While your out read up on some of his threads or shoot him an email. Im thinking if you are wanting to do some racing you might change your mind. I run with the SCCA racing in the CAM class at qualcomm. You should come check it out sometime. Its crazy fun and a lot of the guys would be happy to share some info and insight. Would be nice to see another truck out there to gauge my performance lol. Lots of camaros and mustangs. I will be down for a few month while i build my frame and cage and ATTEMPT to get my pig under 3300 pounds to be close to their weight.

Whos building your cage? I was going to have autopower do mine but i couldnt spend that much to make it that close so i just bought a jegs cage. Not bad for 350 shipped. I went a little smaller gauge with my frame since i will be running a 12 point cage. Hopefully the weight equals out

Got some work done today before i got called in to work...

That was fun pulling the cab backwards up the driveway without dropping it.....now i just need to cut out the floor and firewall and make new mounts. My new mounts/ outer frame rails should weigh 25# but should take out 100# or more of metal. Plus the cage is supposed to be here today.

I would definitely love to get down there and turn some times. I wont be back home till later this year..
      so hopefully plan to have the truck up and running this winter.
      I'm not dead set on the truck arms yet. I still have time to do more research, and go from there. so we will see.
      As for my cage, i bought a S&W race cars cage, and it didn't fit very close at all.. so we started building our own.
      I had to step down to 1 1/2" bars, as I didn't have $300 for a new die for my buddies bender that i was borrowing.
      The cage will be at least a 10 point, but with some street ability built into it.
      I ended up plating my factory frame after i had it straightened. I wasn't setup to build a full frame correctly.
      So i decided to due what i could with the stock frame and see how far i could push it. Ill definitely hit you up when i get back,
      and see about getting some racing in.

Sounds good. I went back and forth with boxing the frame or just adding reinforcements. The kick in the nuts was my first time getting on the scales. A bunch of the guys from the CAM class were there getting weighed and were all right around 3100. I put my truck on the scales and i was 4175. So from then on i have been anal about the weight. I managed to cut off and shave out enough weight to get me down to 3700 but i know there is more there that i can get rid of. The factory 6" c channel frame rails are HEAVY. and are not solid at all. So i figured since the frame wasnt doing what i wanred anyways and i had to z the frame and c notch it just to get the height i wanted that i would build my own. I am not setup for frame building either, nor have i ever done this before. But i am making everything off my reference plane of the garage floor and building from there. Will it be perfect? Not hardly! But its mine and i will know i built the lightest strongest truck i could with basic tools. Right now i can lift my frame up by the front crossbar with the front crossmember and wheels and move it around the garage. Def lighter than the factory frame. I i got my 12 point "kit" from jegs yesterday and im not too impressed with it. It will serve as a good baseline but i know it could be better. I might get a main hoop bent from autopower and start with that. Havent decided yet. For the time being i am just cutting my floor out so i can plan how i will be mounting the cab to the outriggers.

Looking good! May have a co drive avail if you are desperate June 5th Bryan...

1973 Corvette Factory Primer Car
      1969 Barracuda Convertible
      1967 Plymouth Valiant

I might have to take you up on that Tom.

Got some work done this weekend. Swapped axles from roller to new truck. That was fun on an angled driveway.

Got the rear all measured out and and started to mock things up.

Got a shot of what the final proportions will look like. I like it.

Got a few hours this morning and set up the upper link frame mount. Im using the caprice upper link mounting points to make a mount. I wont have the full 6" offset i wanted to have for my 8% of my track width but it will be close at 5ish. Still needs two more tubes notched and the rear tabels welded on. Should be plenty strong and is being built with parts laying on the floor from the rest of the build.

Got the coilover mounts welded in

Started fabricating the Lower Control Arm mounts. Started with the bushing as a template.

Some little finish welding on the mounts and some cleanup and i will be ready to stab the motor and trans and get an idea what im working with.

Love the build.

Are you using flux core welding wire? If so, move over to a gas setup and your welds will look sooo much better without all the splatter.
      Mike Schwartz aka chevymike
      1955 Chevy 210 Wagon
      1965 Chevy C10 Panel Truck
      1972 Chevy El Camino

Yup Flux core for now. I have the kit to convert to gas but dont wanna spend 100 on the bottle and gas. One day after i get it built i will get some gas. It would make for less splatter.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com