2 33.33%
    • Flush mount glass

4 66.67%
    • Flush mount Polycarbonate

0 0%
    Multiple Choice Poll.
      Country Flag: United States

Polycarbonate vs Glass Windsheild

I have been looking around at options when I replace my windshield. I really like the idea of a flush mount glass kit for my 79 Trans Am. I have found where people are working on a flush mount glass kit and where a few suppliers make a polycarbonate oversized windshield you can trim for a flush mount application in 1/8", 3/16", and 1/4". It appears that the glass kit will be around $1500 for front and rear. The Polycarbonate option is about $940. Can anyone weigh in on the advantages and disadvantages of trying to use the Polycarbonate set up on a street driven car?

Polycarbonate/Lexan will scratch easier & become hazy/yellowish over the years of outside exposure. In racing, our cars are only in the sunlight 20-40 days a year, and we replace them every few years.

Of course, it is much lighter, provides better safety protection from impacts, is easy to work with & costs less.

Only a DOT approved safety glass windshield is legal for a public highway.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

I was not to worried about DOT approval. I live in rural IL where we don't have any required inspections and I doubt most of the law enforcement would be looking for a dot tag on the glass lol. I can see the becoming hazy/yellowish over time would be a big issue as I plan to drive the car a lot. It is not cheaper to put in the Poly if you have to keep changing it out. I would really like the look of the flush mount but it appears to be a luxury that I will not be able to afford any time soon. Back to stock glass and window trim for now.

Polycarbonate should not be used on the street!
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

The only polycarbonate good for long term use in your situation would be one with a silica coating which makes it far more scratch resistant.
      Tracey

I used to work in the custom packaging machine world and we had clear "Lexan" guard panels and we always used the scratch resistant Lexan. Even though they were scratch resistant clean them without some type of liquid and they would scratch in a second.

Pledge furniture polish will retard the yellowing for a while...

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com