Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

The Diva.... Finishing up a kit car

Ok, so not exactly a PT car... And as you can tell from my login, not a 1969 Mercury Cougar either... But, I got the opertunity to help finish up a Diva Roadster kit car and thought that the guys and gals on this forum might get a kick out of it...

first, a little back story...

I have become close friends with the owner of the car... He bought and started to build it in 2000.. At about the same time he also acquired a business makeing N scale model railroad buildings and trusses... He build up a small block Chevy and bought a lot of parts for the car and actually assembled quit a bit of the frame... Then unfortunately, his wife was diagnosed with brain cancer and subsequently died in 2005... The car has sat ever since...

Now enter me... I am a A&P IA aircraft mechanic... The car owner also has a Stinson 108-2... He has recently decided to get back into flying and we became friends while working on his airplane... Put a big engine on the airplane and will be repainting it next year...

When I found out about the car I did a little research and finally talked him into letting me help get it done and on the road...

So, with that said here a couple of pics...

The one piece Diva Roadster body... Hand layed fiberglass... Got it out of the weeds and sprayed off... Needs a lot of finishing work but that will come in time...

The cars frame... Buried in years of stuff... Sail for a catamaran, telescope tube in a box behind it... Stuff from the modeling business... But also suspension parts, seats, dash, windshield frame.... Lots of stuff to sort through...

Just your typical 350 CI small block Chevy that has been dynoed at 500 HP on nitrous with over 600 Ft Lb of torque.. Backed with a Richmond 6 speed overdrive to boot... Ought to make this little 2000 lbs car scoot..

I can not lay claim to this photo... It is just one I got off the net and posted here to show what a completed Diva looks like...

Heres to having a little fun...

Brian
      Attached Images Attached Images  

I have only been able to do a little work on the Diva a couple of Saturdays a month... Most of that was cleaning and getting a door installed in the shop area... Last Saturday we got some progress on the car itself...

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1113
Size:  185.8 KB

Got my son helping with clean up of the dust...

Views: 1037
Size:  176.6 KB

There has already been a little modifications done to the frame for shifter clearance... I will be designing and welding in some new tubing to finalize this area...

Views: 1076
Size:  188.5 KB

Front suspension... This is exposed on the car so everything is going to be nice and neat when done... With lots of chrome...

Views: 1111
Size:  184.9 KB

Both sides done...

Views: 1060
Size:  171.4 KB

Wheels on so we can get this frame on the ground and roll for the first time ever...

Views: 1027
Size:  170.6 KB

Next step is get the engine set in place so I can finish the modifications to the frame for the shifter and then get brake lines and electrical routed... Then everything will be removed again...

Brian

Cool project, looking forward to seeing it come together.
      1988 Mazda RX7 - Forged LS/T56, 76mm turbo, ProEFI, Ford 8.8 - Sold
      1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, Haltech, big brakes, updated suspension.
      2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Full bolt-ons
      2016 BMW 428iX GranSport - Stock...ish.

Short day... But got the engine in place...

Views: 812
Size:  103.2 KB

On the hoist...

Views: 804
Size:  111.5 KB

On its way in... Had to take the water pump motor off for more room...

Views: 888
Size:  120.6 KB

Set in place...

Views: 804
Size:  118.7 KB

It's a tight fit all around...

Brian

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Brian- Just a suggestion, visit the Locost USA forum http://www.locostusa.com/forums/ if you run into any problems. The Locost site is devoted to fabrication and assembly of so-called 'clubman' derivatives, the most common clubman's being Lotus/Catherham 7, Westfield, and Mallock.

Friendly bunch like around here, and more than willing to answer questions, give suggestions, and swap lies with each other
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

Cool project you have going on.
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com