Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Msd 6a power supply

I just relocated my battery to the trunk with 1/0 gauge wire and now need a place to supply power to the msd box. Can I run the wire to the starter power supply or do I need a dedicated supply?

A good + connection at the starter should work fine. If you decide on dedicated to the trunk go up a wire size.

I've seen more problems with poorly grounded boxes. Unless you're running a heavy gauge negative battery cable to the engine compartment you can connect the - wire from the MSD box to, I'd run a dedicated wire (bigger gauge) to the - battery in the trunk. Counting on a ground path through sheet metal, bolts, etc. to get back to the battery often causes problems which is why MSD wants to see the box + and - connected directly to the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by NOT A TA View Post
      A good + connection at the starter should work fine. If you decide on dedicated to the trunk go up a wire size.

I've seen more problems with poorly grounded boxes. Unless you're running a heavy gauge negative battery cable to the engine compartment you can connect the - wire from the MSD box to, I'd run a dedicated wire (bigger gauge) to the - battery in the trunk. Counting on a ground path through sheet metal, bolts, etc. to get back to the battery often causes problems which is why MSD wants to see the box + and - connected directly to the battery.

Ill make sure to ground in a few places and one being the frame. I have 1/0 gauge for positive and negative. Thank you

The starter terminal will work but I have a 1ga cable from the trunk to the front routed inside the body up to the firewall. On the firewall I have a bulkhead connector to route the power into the engine compartment. I have my 6AL box taking power from the engine side of the bulkhead connector with a short 18" 1ga cable continuing to the starter terminal.

Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com