Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Country Flag: United States

Twin turbos ... the true cost ... expensive

Currently I concerting my n/a sbc 383 to a twin turbo setup in my 68 camaro. My intial impression was that the price would not be bad... but with my parts list increasing by the day... its getting up there. Here is a part / price list of the things needed to covert and reasons why for certain parts.

The engine before is a blue print crate engine. Compression 9 to 5:1 with a lift on gm vortec heads and hypereutic pistons

(if you want to see the engine click the link in my signature)

CandSSpecialties Turbo Package
      Aerosol Billet blow thru carburetor
      Extreme velocity carb hat
      T4 C&S garret based turbo 70mm x 2
      Wastegates x 2
      Blow off valve
      Air cleaner assembly $ 4000.00 (its cheaper if you buy from out of state)

In. short i thought this was most of the cost of twin turbos... boy was i wrong!

CandS Boost reference Gauge + Fuel Feed + Hardware $ 350

this popped up next...because hey your carb needs fuel...

CXRacing Twin Turbo Header Manifold
      Downpipes Kit SBC $ 1,160

Next i bought a basic piping kit... for a chevelle and it does not really fit the build because the manifolds have a bend... thus had to scrape half the kit because i did not want to go cutting my fenders (these are cheap eBay stuff too. Modified the header manifold heavily to make work on the 68 camaro.

Now because your engine was changed lots of changes are needed,

Holley Billet Electronic fuel pump 12-890 $ 230
      probably because you will need a lot more fuel when going into boost

(2)Summit Racing Braided Stainless Steel 8an Hose $ 130
      RobbMC Fuel Sending Unit 1968 GM Unit + -8an Option $ 186
      New hoses because your orginal probably was not big enough and if you was carved you will need to add a return line

30 ft Matt Black 1/0 gauge $ 42

Taylor Cable 48100 Aluminum battery box $ 81
      Exide Edge-AGM34 Flate Plate Battery $ 165
      You will probably need to move the battery to the back also.. because all that piping needs to go somewhere, thus wires need to be moved, plus a dry sealed battery because battery will be in the car without a firewall

(2) Titanium turbo heat shield T4 $ 71
      keeps from hot side of turbo

(16) NGK R5724-9 SPark Plugs $ 45
      new plugs cause the operation temp will likely go up

(6) Ano-Tuff -8an Male Flare 3/4”-16 $ 71
      Earl’s 40 Micron Postfilter -8an $ 73
      Holley Fuel Pump Safety Switch $ 31
      Holley HP Billet 100 Micron Pre filter -8an $ 83
      Some petty stuff to keep you fuel clean

cxracing 3” vband t4 adapter flange 90 $ 133

6AL-2 MSD Box Because your ignition box will need to control timing and be programmable $ 390 + whatever it takes to program ...

Now Add
      UPGR8 Universal 4-Ply High Performance Silicone Hose $ 41
      3” to 4” Silicone Straight Reducer $ 12
      CXRacing 2.5 to 3” Merge pipe ALuminum $ 51
      4” Cast Aluminium Elbow 90 degree $ 54
      Innovate Motorsports (3844) MTX-L WIdeband AFR $ 150
      AutoMeter 1257 Transmissio Temp Gauge $ 187

+ More gauges which cost an extra 1k
      Auto Meter 5289 GPS Electric Speedometer Module $ 177
      Autometer 5” #1289 Speedometer Gauge $ 262
      Autometer 5” #1225 QUad Gauge $ 300
      Autometer #1259 Boost Gauge $ 250
      Autometer 2 1/16 Mounting bracket $ 23

Snow Performance Stage 2 Meth injection $ 664
      However after talking to the people at c and specialties i was told this was not really necessary because my block would go before I could add more boost! And they said it's a running nightmare for a carb. Thus it's scratched for me but maybe useful to somebody who wants a 1100 + horsepower

Now this list does not include a high performance radiator , beefy transmission, beefy driveline and rearend! Because i overbuilt my car. But those things add 4k or 5k more. So don't forget to add that to your price if needed.

Lomg story short, the price of twin turbos are not cheap, even if you already have a well bit rig. But make sure you plan for these cost so you don't get stuck in the middle of the change without the funds to finish your project!

Good luck to all! and hope this article helps. Let me know if you want the document the project on here

68 Camaro RS twin turbo
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...d-Intent-V-2-0

1993 Toyota Supra 6768 Built Single Turbo

Slow Lifted Jeep No TURBO :(

Randal F

Great info...thank you...I was thinking about doing the same thing except with a 400 pontiac...I'm sure the price is even alittle higher with that motor...definitely something to think about..great post!

Quote Originally Posted by yellow1098 View Post
      Great info...thank you...I was thinking about doing the same thing except with a 400 pontiac...I'm sure the price is even alittle higher with that motor...definitely something to think about..great post!
      I have a Pontiac 400 myself. I think best thing to do is to build a nice fuel supply and ignition system before other modifications take place. This preps your car for being able to supply higher horsepower applications. After that is accomplished, efi or a boosted application would be less expensive up front. This thread highlights that.

Quote Originally Posted by F-Body International View Post
      I have a Pontiac 400 myself. I think best thing to do is to build a nice fuel supply and ignition system before other modifications take place. This preps your car for being able to supply higher horsepower applications. After that is accomplished, efi or a boosted application would be less expensive up front. This thread highlights that.
      Yea for sure... if you upgrade to the point where the upgrade is literally the turbo system , it can be taken pretty easily... but even better if you design your car before to run boost and everything is already there!
      68 Camaro RS twin turbo

Randal F

Quote Originally Posted by yellow1098 View Post
      No problem it was my pleasure to inform, cause even with a turbo kit, all this prices are still going to exist
      68 Camaro RS twin turbo

Randal F

It can be done much cheaper, just requires much more work yourself.... And less power. Granted those 70's are going to bump the price considerably, considering the amount of power they're capable of.

However, you are very correct in the fact that there are those "oh yeah" costs! LoL!
      Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

http://www.fquick.com/shmoov69

Quote Originally Posted by shmoov69 View Post
      It can be done much cheaper, just requires much more work yourself.... And less power. Granted those 70's are going to bump the price considerably, considering the amount of power they're capable of.

However, you are very correct in the fact that there are those "oh yeah" costs! LoL!
      Yea it does, we still have not figured out how to run the downpipe yet and 70's !!!!!! Hopefully my turn setup will be cool like yours!
      68 Camaro RS twin turbo

Randal F

My turbo placement is simliar and I too found out that cost of twin turbo setup gets expensive quick. I had nearly 6k in just turbos, wastegates and BOV. Add in another grand for the manifolds I started with, all the clamps, fabrication, intercoolers, etc and I got to prob close to 20k in my turbo setup (including exhaust) not including anything for the engine/fuel system!

I warn people against it and say to look at power goals. Seems most cost effective honestly is a supercharger. There are plenty available that can accommodate most power goals. Doesn't have as much "WOW" factor, but at least your pocket wont be saying "WOW" quite as often...

Just took this picture this past weekend after re-installing the hot side...This is why i went turbo. Hard to get this look from a SC setup...

THAT is the wow factor for me.

Quote Originally Posted by will69camaro View Post
      Just took this picture this past weekend after re-installing the hot side...This is why i went turbo. Hard to get this look from a SC setup...

I think you need to sensor that! Wow! Just wow!

I am still adding on to my list... oh blow through turbo system will be cheaper... hahahaha here buy a 500 dollar msd box that controls timing... and, i hope you don't need to change your gauge setup... i am 1300 for changing my gauges .... SMH!!!!

Nothin like yours Will But when I pop the hood... well it should be an eye popper with a sleeper feel, since i am not running an intercooler

68 Camaro RS twin turbo

Randal F

Quote Originally Posted by rfalker1 View Post
      I think you need to sensor that! Wow! Just wow!

I am still adding on to my list... oh blow through turbo system will be cheaper... hahahaha here buy a 500 dollar msd box that controls timing... and, i hope you don't need to change your gauge setup... i am 1300 for changing my gauges .... SMH!!!!

Nothin like yours Will But when I pop the hood... well it should be an eye popper with a sleeper feel, since i am not running an intercooler

Not sure what you mean that setup looks awesome so far. Like the turbo placement!

No gauge change for me. All I have is an iq3s.

Not sure what you mean that setup looks awesome so far. Like the turbo placement!

No gauge change for me. All I have is an iq3s.

Well thank you ;) Its coming along! I will post a few more pics on here in a few weeks when the rest of the plumbing is done and the wires are out of the way! And nice!

For me my gauge problem was that I basically kept the stock gauges in the console, mounted a tach gauge on the dash and my oil temp/ volt/ water temp gauge in the pod under the dash, But going turbo meant well more gauges . So I swapped the console gauges for a speedo that actually + gps sensor . Switched to a multi gauge for fuel/water temp/ volt / oil pressure / .

Then went and got the trans temp gauge, afr gauge from innovative and a boost gauge ! Thus money was needed to be spent lol!

The Iq3's are nice ! After getting all this stuff I really see why people do it! But at the same time I really wanted a retro look. I love the classic muscle car feel. And i did not want it to lose that aspect of the car
      68 Camaro RS twin turbo

Randal F

Also quick question, Will you run wheel welds? air cleaners? If so how do you plan on fitting them? Because you have some big tires up front!
      68 Camaro RS twin turbo

Randal F

Quote Originally Posted by rfalker1 View Post
      Also quick question, Will you run wheel welds? air cleaners? If so how do you plan on fitting them? Because you have some big tires up front!
      Yep. I got the anvil wide inner fenders and the turbo kit is complete with filters. They sit behind the core support in-line with the headlight area. Should get plenty of fresh air up there!

Do you have a build thread? Interested on how you plumbed together the Intercooler setup.. I would love to do this with my 66 chevelle. It looks like you kept the AC too.

Hubba Hubba!!!
      Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

http://www.fquick.com/shmoov69

Yes it adds up quick. Most don't realize all the multiple things to complete the build, and to do it right, especially if your aiming at a certain level of power, and looks. I have the EFI, meth, and intercooler as well.

[/URL][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by obengston View Post
      Yes it adds up quick. Most don't realize all the multiple things to complete the build, and to do it right, especially if your aiming at a certain level of power, and looks. I have the EFI, meth, and intercooler as well.

[/URL][/URL]

The way your turbo was mounted at first glance I thought it was a 2jz ! But what it looks great! What size turbo are you running? And Yea I can imagine the extra headache the comes with running an intercooler and meth! I am trying to stay far away from that lol.

And do you have a lot of lag ? or is t fairly responsive?
      68 Camaro RS twin turbo

Randal F

Its a Race 76mm Borg Warner, If there is Lag I can't feel it really its almost instant. And as you can see Im running a Intercooler on a RS so I had to change my Hood Brace and go with a Cable activated latch (which I like can open on the inside now....)

Quote Originally Posted by obengston View Post
      Its a Race 76mm Borg Warner, If there is Lag I can't feel it really its almost instant. And as you can see Im running a Intercooler on a RS so I had to change my Hood Brace and go with a Cable activated latch (which I like can open on the inside now....)
      Sweet how much power are you putting down! And i have an rs too! And I guess your engine is already beefy! So you have power even before the turbo kicks! Looks awesome though ! Like stunning !
      68 Camaro RS twin turbo

Randal F

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com