Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

4/6 c10 drop inner fender clearance issues?

Guys I'm running the Mcgaughys 4/6 drop on my 79 C10, running 285 40 series tires. It seems like I have around 2 inches of clearance between the top of the tire and the inner fender. I'm guessing this is no good.

Anyone else running this as is? No inner tubs? Some modified tub?

Any help much appreciated.

I was in the same ball park as you with my old 76 c-10. I had the ridetech front Strong Arms with air. I would rub sometimes but only if it was a pretty hard bump. Most of the time it was never a problem if you kept it out of the potholes, tall speed bumps, and those soft curb gutters into driveways. If you never want to rub, then yes you'll want to raise the inner fenders.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Yeah I'm wondering if the Mcgauhys 2" drop springs are a little more like 3" with my big block. It's probably settled another 1/2 inch or so since the install. The crossmember is now just a hair too low for me to get my jack under it. Guess I'll keep plugging away and get it driving and see how bad it really is. Headers are pretty low too, barely 3.5" of clearance at the collector. Might need to go with a 3/4 style piece.

Right, just remember a small amount of change in the spring means a larger change at the wheel. I don't recall what the motion ratio is on those trucks but even a 1/2" more compression in the spring height can make almost an inch at the wheel. I also had full length headers on my truck, the worst was rock driveways with the big humps in the middle (I live in the sticks). I was always dragging rocks around.....
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

I am running a 3" BellTech drop spindle with a 2" drop spring and the tires are 255/35-20 (27" tall) with no issues on my '84. In 2007 on the Power Tour I had the same set up, but I had cut 1 coil out of the springs. With the coil cut the tire rubbed, but I wouldn't say it was terrible. It was more than I wanted, so I swapped the springs and that's how it sits currently (to be honest, It MAY have a half coil cut as it sits).
      I wouldn't think the wheel tubs would be that different between your '79 and my '84, I would think you'll be fine. What size wheel are you running the 285/40 on? If it's a 20" wheel then your tire combo is about 2" taller than my set up, which I could see some issues there.
      Hope that helps!

They're 18s, right at 27.1" diameter. I should have the truck running and driving by Sunday hopefully, so I guess I'll see then.

It's definitely kind of strange though, there are pictures all over the web of 4.5/6 drops and mine looks quite a bit lower up front.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com