Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 25 of 41 FirstFirst ... 15 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 35 ... LastLast
      nice progress on the vehicle and update(s) to the house ...

keep them foto(s) coming =)

Country Flag: United States
      It's been a long time since I've been able to have a solid Penny Pincher update, so it feels great to have a decent update again. I'm finally done with the upstairs room project, and also had to tie up some other loose ends. I've been taking a few hours after work for the last week to try and knock out some of the springtime raking, trimming, and maintenance outside of the house so I'm nearly done with that until the grass starts growing.

Next big item was helping my dad get his 1971 Chevelle going again. Over the last 2.5 years he's done some major modifications to his car, such as a 496 stroker (Dart block, aluminum heads, roller cam, and etc) and TKO 600 swap (dual friction clutch, hydraulic TOB, and etc), but he's never had it running quite right. As I was crusing the classifieds on TAC (Trans Am Country) I saw a posting for a Holley Terminator Harness and it got my wheels turning that maybe I'd mention it to him since I've been telling him to go with an EFI kit since he built the motor. Well after some back and forth we ended up buying his whole kit, which included the whole Terminator kit and an adjustable fuel reg, and some other upgrades. He ended up going with the notched Tanks Inc, tank, upgraded to Walbro 255, teflon fuel lines and all AN fittings. He's been installing the hardware over the last few weeks and I came over Saturday afternoon to do the wiring install. We temporarily installed the the harness and ECU to confirm that it was all fully functional before he did a final installation just to be safe.

After a few troubleshooting issues which ended up being my fault, we finally turned the key and got it running! One of the issues that I figured out, but I'm not quite understanding is that the fuel pressure to the rails. When we got it up and running, we found that the fuel pressure was at 58 psi so I lowered it to the recommended 43 psi per the instructions. Well when we finally got it running the car didn't want to idle below about 1300 rpms. I tried adjusting just about every parameter in the system from timing to fuel to IAC. When the idle would get to about 1100 the fueling would fall on it's face and the AFR would shoot to 25, ramp to 36 and the it would stall. above 1300 it would level right off and AFR would be right near the target command. What ended up fixing out idling problem was when I bumped the FPR back to 58 psi, and then it was golden. AFR was where we commanded it, idle was right at target and overall ran great! He was discouraged at first since it was running much worse than it did before we took the carb off. But after that FPR change, he was stoked. He drove the wheels off of it yesterday even though the ECU was ziptied to the cowl, no hood and none of that mattered.

I drove it and it really is a whole other animal. I was giving it about 3/4 to 7/8 throttle and right before I was about to shift from 2 to 3 it broke the wheels loose around 50! I wasn't expecting that and my dad asked me what that was because he thought we broke something. I looked at him and said, "That was horsepower!" haha. He's thrilled that it's finally running the way that he was expecting when he build the motor 2 years ago. I'm happy because he's going to be driving it now! He'e going to buy a small cap HEI distributor this week so that the ECU will control the timing. I think that will allow the engine to run that much better. He's going to button up the wiring and distributor install over the next few weeks and if everything goes right, my car will be finishing up at that time as well.

His update is probably more exciting than mine, but here goes. I'll start off with some parts updates that I've been collecting for the last few months. I ended up taking advantage of the
      Summit bucks I had and bought weatherstripping for the doors, trunk and quarter windows. Unfortunately the quarter window seals are back-ordered and won't arrive until sometime in May. I still have my old one's but they have seen better days.

Brake clevis parts for the LS1 rear e-brake levers. They will need modifications to work right, but are a better start than the brackets I made.

Much needed matched door lock kit. I got the seals from the paint seal kit I bought earlier so I'm good there too.

When I was at the pick and pull earlier this year a roached out 1971 Firebird donated this dimmer switch. I looked that thing all over and couldn't find one good part on it. Even the '71 only fender vents were broken.

I'm not sure if I'll use it on this project or another, but the guy that bought my old 2003 Silverado was in the process of parting out a 2002 Escalade and he gave me a bunch of parts that he wasn't going to use. I ended up grabbing a bunch of parts, but he knew that the harness was worth money. I paid him $100 bucks and got the complete harness, throttle body, ECU, Pedal, TAC module, and the ECU bracket. Not sure if I want to mess with DBW, but if I do I have the parts now.

I needed to finish up installing the clutch boot install before I could continue on with the FatMat installation. I cut some panels out of .050 aluminum plates and found a nice little clutch boot from a... gulp... 67 Mustang. It had a nice small diameter hole and would fit nicely around the two piece bracket I made.

It still needs a little trimming, but fits great. I'll add some paint and adhesive seals to the back side and it will be all done.

Then I installed a few sections of the FatMat and had to call it quiets for the day. The rest of the FatMat should go quick and then I an put my carpet down. I've been looking forward to that for a while now. Felt good to work on the car again.

Ryan

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

I got out and installed the rest of the FatMat, so that I could finally see what my carpet looks like. Very pleased with how easy the FatMat is to install and I'm sure that it's going to help with the noise levels.

And just add some carpet! I opted for the one piece design rather than the stock 2 piece as I think it's a little cleaner looking.

One other final touch I finally received was a filter for my CAI. The one that came with the truck was huge and wouldn't fit into the space I needed. This one fits perfectly. I just need to make a little bracket to hold up the tubing and it'll be all set.

Getting closer, can't wait.

Ryan

Glad your back at it, warm weather not far off.
      Need a picture of your dad's car included when you post about working on it.
      Keep updating us.
      Thanks

I don't have many pictures of his car, but this is the few pictures that he's sent me so far. Here's the kit before we installed.

He opted for a Tanks, Inc. fuel tank that had notched corners and also upgraded to the Walbro 255 pump.

The beast, 496 Stroker BBC.

His car has this fantastic Patina on it, but there is no rust on the car. He keeps saying that he wants to paint it, but I keep telling him not to touch it. Patina is in right now and there are guys that would kill for that on their car. I'll try and get some pictures of the car next time I'm over at my parent's house.

keep up the good work - she's getting closer

Don
      Grace - 67 Camaro daily driver with upgrades along the way.

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Camaro-Driver

I've been able to carve a few minutes over the last few weeks to get things done, but now have enough to make a good post. One of the projects on my list was to drop the tank and get my fuel level sender fixed. I pulled the tank and determined that the "new" sender that I bought at a swap meet a few years ago had burned out, which now makes sense why I couldn't get a reading from it. So what I decided to do was use the stock LS3 sender that came on my fuel pump assembly. I had to make a new float and lever in order to make it read correctly. That meant bending a rod to accommodate both low and high readings which was actually a lot harder than it sounds. I messed with it for several hours before I could get it where I was happy.

Pulled the tank and fuel pump assembly ready to swap in the old sender.

Here is what the stock float and lever looked like.

I found a coat hanger that was the right diameter and I bent my own new lever and used the float from the burnt out switch.

I then added the wires back into the pigtail since I was using the stock sender again.

The sending unit swap is all done now, but one of the challenges that I came across is that the sending unit from the LS3 is 258/E and 42/F but the closest preset for my Dakota Digital gauges is 240-33 so it will just have to work for now. When I have some time I'll work through the custom setting to calibrate the gauge, but it requires the car to be empty and then fill in 1/3 tank increments taking calibrations at each. But for now it works, but it'll just be off.

I cleaned up and painted the bumper brackets a while ago, so that I can finally install my rear bumper. I ended up cleaning all of the old over spray off of my bumper with some lacquer thinner and steel wool. It's certainly not perfect, but the bumper came out really good considering it's a 50 year old piece. I also thew on the marker lights with new bezels.

I've also been working on getting the last of my wiring buttoned up. I needed to finish up the fuse panel for the few relays I needed to add. I need a relay for both my fan and horn. I'm using a Bussman unit with the micro fuse and relays to take up the least amount of real estate. I'm pretty happy with how neat and clean they look. I'll have room for future projects as well. It will sit down low on the driver's side fender well next to the marker light.

Next up is some parts updates. I have been on the search for a new passenger side A pillar trim as the one I have has seen better days. I found a guy who sold me a complete front window set brand new in the box for a 1/3 of the price of new! Win.

This past weekend was my annual trip to the Sping Carlisle car show and swap meet with my dad. We saw a lot of cool stuff and I scored a few good used parts and picked up some new parts as well.

Inch/lb. torque wrench.

Mesh split wire loom.

I thew some on quick to see what it looked like and I can't wait to install the rest.

Probably one of the coolest parts of the trip was when I stopped by the Miller Welding tent. They had a demonstration of the new Miller 220 welder, and they had demos set up so I asked the guy if I could try. He was very accommodating and basically gave me a 101 course on Tig welding. He let me run a bead of both steel and aluminum. It's way different than MIG welding, but was a lot of fun. He said that I did really well for the first time and I only dipped the tip one time. Here's my attempt at aluminum, I didn't think it was too bad for the first try.

Thought this was a pretty cool car since my car is called the "Penny Pincher Camaro". This was called the Penny Corvette and you'll see why if you look closely.

Also saw this wicked diesel truck.

I'm hoping to button up this car very soon and put some real road miles on it.

Thanks,
      Ryan

Looking great!!
      "Racing is life. Everything else is just, waiting"

I've been plugging away at the finishing up the wiring in the engine bay. I bought a ratcheting crimper on eBay a while back and it does a great job on the Metri-Pack 280 terminals that the Bussman box takes. Something very satisfying about wiring and I really like using the correct terminals and connectors.

Tucked away nicely in the fender well.

Next up was building a mount for for the CAI. I bought a cheap kit on eBay a while back for a 99-06 Silverado basically for the intake tube and it fits really nicely in the engine bay. I used the tab that was welded on it and built a simple L bracket that attaches to my fan shroud with some button head bolts. The aluminum was thick enough that I tapped it for a 5/16 - 18 thread so I could use the stock bolts I've used in the whole engine bay.

Turned out great and was pretty simple to do.

I also picked up a horn from my local Pick a Part from a 1975 Malibu Wagon. I had to re-bend the tab on it, but otherwise fit just like stock. I need to clean it up and spray a little paint on it so it's not such an eye sore.

I'm hoping to get some more done this weekend and get it inspected sometime next week. The only things that need to be finished before the inspection are re-installing the seats, seat belts, hooking up the e-brake and fixing some tail light wiring issues.

Country Flag: Philippines
      Looking good Ryan! I wish I had your talent and tenacity!
      J
      69 Camaro LS2, ridetech 4 link fikse wheels yada yada yada
      17 Grand Sport

Got the car inspected last night, so I'm fully legal and ready to rack up some healthy miles. I've been trying to be good about getting my rear end broke in, as the rear gears call for 4-5 20 minute drives to around 45 mph to allow the gears to properly mesh. I was able to do the last one yesterday after I filled up the gas tank.

As with any car that has been completely torn down and built back up, there are a bunch of things that need to be ironed out and I'll make a short list for my records. First is the front end alignment. I am not well versed in how too much of one measurement feels, but it feels to me like the car has too much camber or toe in. The car seems to want to dart back and forth, but the steering box is nice and tight.

Second is the car seems to surge under light acceleration. That is definitely a tuning issue and I think has something to do with my MAF and VE tables. I used a stock Z06 calibration for both and I think because of the headers and CAI, it is throwing them all off. I also seem to have a knock sensor code P327, but I think that may just be a faulty sensor.

Along the same vein as the surging, there is a very significant amount of fumes from the car. I think its a combination of the tune, no trunk seal, and I haven't seam sealed the wheel wells yet. I'm going to try and do the seam sealing and trunk seal before the weekend and see if that helps. If not I'm going to mess around with the tune more and see what the error logs bring up. I want to drive this thing to work and whenever I can and I certainly don't need to smell like a tail pipe whenever I drive it.

Lastly, I think that the good used rear rotors that I have aren't so good. I think they are both warped pretty badly as it makes a scraping sound while I'm driving. That needs to be taken care of ASAP as it is incredibly annoying. I'm going to order a set today drilled to match my fronts.

Overall, the car drives really well. The suspension is nice and tight front and rear. The car just flat out runs and it's hard to keep out of the throttle. It sounds really good and is so much fun to drive the 6 speed! Really without trying it will chirp the tires all the way through 3rd. I have yet to start the car from a stop without spinning the tires. The LS7 clutch is very grabby, and hopefully it will lessen up the more that I drive the car. I'm hoping to work the bugs out soon and get some cool cruising pictures to post up.

Cheers,
      Ryan

Glad the inspection went well. Hope you can figure out the tune. It's all of the little things that take so long to FINISH a project car. And the fact that you find more and as you break it in.
      1951 Ford F1, 1967 RS Camaro, 1979 Firebird Formula, 1979 Trans Am/LS swap.

Thanks Luke, I'm glad that it's legal now so I don't have to worry when I drive it.

I got a little time in the garage last night. I swapped over the 1968 RS tail light bezels I picked up at Carlisle. Definitely like the 1968 tail lights on there better than the 67's. The 67 RS remind me of the Eleanor Mustang, not good - not bad but the 68 is more unique.

Once that was done, I decided to mess around with my attempt at a DIY alignment. I read a few articles, and had some nice straight 30" pieces of angle aluminum and used those to make measurements for toe in/out. My initial measurements were toe out ~1/8". I then took measurements with aluminum placed it on both wheels vertically and used the Tremec Angle finder app I had on my phone to see what the camber was for each wheel. I got -1.2* on the passenger side and 0.1* on the driver's side. That makes sense now why the steering was so off. I added about 1/4" of shims on each stud on the driver's side and was able to match the -1.2* on the passenger side. Sweet! Now I brought the toe in to about 3/16* and we will see how that does. I'm assuming it will pull to one side or the other so I'll need to make adjustments and can get it closer to that 1/16 measurement.

After I mow the grass tonight, I'm going to run it up and down the road to see what it does. Hopefully that fixes the strange steering feel and I can move on to other things. I also downloaded some more stock tunes to compare with mine. I made some changes to my tune and I'm going to flash that to the car and see if that helps with the P327 code. I noticed there were some knock enable settings that were different in my tune vs. the stock ones. Keeping my fingers crossed that fixes it. If not I may have a bad sensor which means the intake is coming off. The wires aren't pinched, so basically that's the only other thing it could be.

I had to take some more detailed pictures for my car insurance, and thought I'd share some of the more finished pictures of my car and the engine bay.

The engine bay is nearly complete. Only thing left is to re-loom using the mesh loom I picked up at Spring Carlisle.

Here's the current state of the interior. Getting close.

I was comparing my tune to some other stock 01 Z06 tunes and noticed that mine was a little off, so I found another one and copied the VE and timing tables to see if that helped any. I was pleasantly surprised that the P327 code didn't come back last night when I was cruising around. Hopefully it stays off and I can check that off my list.

Cheers,
      Ryan

I didn't get much time this weekend to work on the car as we had the first sunny day in what feels like weeks so the yard-work took priority. But what I did find out, I thought would be helpful to others that may be in a similar situation. When I first built my engine, I added an LS6 valley cover to clean up the PCV and because it was supposed to work better. But when I started running the car I noticed that there was a very high amount of vacuum in the crankcase. So much that I had a really difficult time pulling off the oil fill cap when the motor was running.

What I didn't realize is that there are two different types of the valley covers; one that has a PCV built in and one that doesn't have one. Mine was the lucky one that didn't have the PCV, so basically my connection from the valley cover to the manifold meant it was pulling full vacuum from the crankcase at idle. I found out that there is a stock hose that came on the 01-03 Z06 Vettes that has an external replaceable PCV which is just what I need, however it is $108 bucks the cheapest I could find it! That's more than just getting a new valley cover with the built-in PCV. Here's what I came up with:

Difficult to see, but I took a Dorman PCV rubber hose that I found at AutoZone that had the same diameter fitting as the LS6 valley cover and would allow me to put a stock LS PCV valve that typically sits in the valve cover. I tested it and it worked perfectly, no more vacuum in the Crank. I can get the part numbers shortly and will update this post. I think eventually I'll buy the 04+ valley cover with the PCV, but for now this solves my issue. I think this was what was giving me a slight surging condition under light throttle, because when I would give more throttle it would go away. Then when I was leaving AZ, I noticed there was a R32? Skyline. I'm sure many people will agree with me, but I've always loved the Skylines especially the R34 generation. Something so cool to me about being RHD.

I had a few hours in the garage over the last several days and have some more progress to post. The interior is definitely getting closer to being buttoned up. I installed the sill plates and trimmed up the carpet to that it is much more presentable. I also installed the pedal covers and pads I bought a while ago from National Parts Depot.

One of the biggest motivators was of all things my Mom to get the passenger seat installed. Every year for Mother's Day we go out to get some crab legs or seafood of some kind with dinner on me. It's great to spend time with her and share our love for seafood. In the year's past, I've had a cool car to drive either mine or my Dad's, but this year she almost challenged me by saying, "It would be nice to take your car this year." So, that's exactly what we're going to do! I told her we had to wait until there was a good weather day and we're going to run up after we are done with work. So here it is!

I tossed the rear seats in last night to see what they looked like and how they fit. Overall much better than I had expected considering they are the original seats from 1968, but I need to pull them back out to clean them the best that I can. I'm going to dye the dash, door and rear panels black so with the white it won't look too bad I think.

I also installed the rear window trim. I polished it all up before I installed it and it turned out really nice. I'm not sure if it's original to the car, or just really good condition originals but I'm very pleased with how it looks. I also threw on my sticker. I borrowed the slogan from American Powertrain and had these made. I made one for me with the 6 speed pattern and one for my dad with the 5 speed pattern.

Last is a piece of material I needed for the project that I'm going to finish up for my low mount A/C unit. I needed to get something that would space down my sway bar 1/2" and found this piece of aluminum that would do the trick. I just need to make some templates and cut them to fit my car. I'm picking up a 1 1/8" swaybar from a buddy Don this weekend who upgraded his car and gave me a great price on his left overs. I'll definitely take the hand-me-down parts.

I also picked up some Prothane sway bar end links so I'll hopefully install those soon along with the sway bar upgrade. I'm placing an order today for some parts that will hopefully be the last needed to button up the interior (for now) and can just focus on driving the car rather than just working on it.

Thanks,
      Ryan

Nice Ryan, it's coming together nice.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Thanks Wayne.

I worked a little more over the last few nights and getting the car more and more complete. First was getting the front window trim installed. Really changes the whole look of the front end.

Then last night my son really wanted to go for a ride in the car, but being that he's only 3 3/4 years old, he can't just ride in the passenger seat. So I needed to put his car seat into my car, but didn't want to put it in there with the seats being so dirty. So he helped me spray down the seats with some purple power, scub them down and hose them off. Once I dried the seats I was really impressed with how clean they turned out.

Before:

After:

Unfortunately we had to take a break to get dinner, and by the time we were finished it was past his bedtime. So I went out last night and finished up the seat install and put his seat in my car. I'm not entirely happy with the way that the seat buckle fits in his seat so I'm going to figure out a way to incorporate the LATCH system into my car so that I can safely latch his seat down. The seat buckle is really large and will be right in the middle of his back when it goes through the seat, so it's not going to be very comfortable for him.

I also got the passenger side quarter window cleaned up and installed with some new trim. I'm waiting on the seal from Metro, so as soon as that's here I'll install that.

I installed a bunch of other stuff on the car, but didn't get a picture of it all. Passenger side kick panel, both door seals, tightened up the steering box and a few other misc. parts. At this point, I'm very happy with the car and love that it's 100% turnkey now. I'm hoping to take the car to a local car show this Sunday if the weather holds out. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Looking great Ryan!
      Seat cleaned up good.
      Love your "Save the stick" sticker.
      Enjoy watching the progress.

I've been working very hard to get this car to the point where it's complete(enough), safe and reliable. This weekend I finally made it happen. Did it have side windows... no, did it have a dash or door panels... no, but it did have seats, seat belts, and a fully functional drive train which is all that I was really concerned about. I've finally put enough miles on the car making short trips that I was comfortable making a longer trip so I packed up the family and took the car to the local car show at the TST BOCES that usually hosts the first car show of the year.

I gave my car a quick wash and dry before I headed out and it drove flawlessly. Not sure if the sensor is bad or if it's just worked itself out, but the knock sensor code went away and didn't come back on the whole day. Here's a few pictures of my car and the few I got before my phone battery died.

My son got to sit in the 1911 REO Sport Coupe? that a couple brought out.

I thought this Patina'd wagon was pretty great.

It was a beautiful day with the temps around 85, but I prefer it a little warmer than my family. They were getting pretty warm, so after about an hour we left and got some iced coffee and cookies from a coffee shop in the Ithaca area. After we all cooled down I wanted to get my son to pose in a tough car guy pose, but instead he wanted to be a ninja and this was the best shot I got.

When the car was parked in the driveway I snapped a few more pictures. I liked the angle here.

On Saturday I ended up meeting a fellow member at the Senaca Army Depot SCCA autox event to pick up his old sway bar. I was too worried about the traffic from all of the car to snap any pictures, but that was a great little event. Lots of nice cars and it was really cool seeing Don's car in person. Thanks again for the sway bar. Unsure of the brand, but it's an 1 1/8" hammertone finsh. Should help to tighten up the front.

I drove the car a lot on Sunday because when I got back from the show it was just so nice I couldn't help but get it out again. I racked up about 100 miles on Sunday and I'm loving every minute. I'm going to keep plugging away at the interior and getting the car weather tight, but I'm thinking that progress is going to slow down now. I wanna go fast!

Cheers,
      Ryan

Page 25 of 41 FirstFirst ... 15 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 35 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com