Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      There's a lot of rust, but I think it's just because the sound deadener held moisture in and rotted the floors, the front subframe is in great shape and none of the bolts are seized.

I'll have to take it back down to finish welding and to gusset the pads, but I was too anxious to see the IRS in the car without a jack holding it up.

Tim
      71' Demon-408, efi, 'viper spec' T56, Dana 60 w/ triangulated 4 link

Quote Originally Posted by migg400 View Post
      Looks like a plan coming together!!
      So far so good! I'm just hoping to keep the momentum and stay in budget (I want to be ready to sell by November and so far my total budget is only $1000 over what I was hoping)
      Tim

I picked this IFS up from an 80k mile old town car, it should fit very well. The old suspension is out, so now I just need to cut the old crossmember out

Tim

Country Flag: Canada
      very cool build! subscribed.
      Build Thread!!!https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?88692-1971-Speedipus-Rex&p=925864&posted=1#post925864

Thanks!

Got the original crossmember plasma cut out, I need to cut some of the pinch weld out for the rear mounts of the lower A arms to get the assembly high enough up and back. I also need to weld something in to make a flat area on the subframe to mount this thing but I'm very happy how it fits, I can also reuse the factory motor mounts.
      Tim

I moved back over to the rear end to try and get the spring mounts tacked in. I still need to fish-mouth the tubing and fit it better, but at least you can see the concept...I'm optimistically hoping by the end of the week everything will be welded in for the rear, then I need to find springs and hope they're close to the right length.

Tim

Today I replaced one frame rail and am hoping to get the second one done in the next couple days...I had a cutoff disk get away from me on the last part (13 stitches but no permanent damage) so I may put the cutoff disk down for a bit and pick the plasma up to cut the wheel wells out to mini-tub this week while I'm waiting for metal for the front suspension (I'm looking to run at least a 275 wide tire all around).

Tim

I'm picking some wheels up from Craigslist, hopefully it works out and they fit. All four wheels are 10.5 wide with 275 tires.

Short term goals are to have the front suspension tacked in this weekend and to cut ALL of the rusted floor pans out- front to back.
      Tim

Nothing picture worthy on the suspension yet, but I did prop the wheels up to get. A better idea of how they'll look and fit. Planning on mocking the engine into the car next weekend while I finish up the front suspension mounting during the week.

Tim

It's been 8 days and I'm really happy with the progress, even though the tops of the frame rails were more involved than I thought. I welded in tubes for the bolts to go through the frame rails and cut and angled the inner vertical part of the c channels for a better fit. According to my measurements I'm within 1/16" centered in all directions.

I am going to cut the old shock towers out before installing the engine to mock it up even though I don't need the space for the engine it will help for access to the exhaust

I'm also really happy with the wheels, I turned them lock to lock and there are miles of clearance behind them, I'll just have to keep an eye on the fender/ fender lip once it has some weight on it.

So far I'm right on budget - I'm all in at $2900 for the project so far with obviously a good chunk still to go.
      Tim

It is coming along nicely! I am always checking out this project! Keep it up!

Thanks for following along DrFraZZy! My goal is 1-2hrs of work on it a day. I'm 4 months into the project with 5 to go on my initial timeline (I wanted to be able to drive it to the Daytona turkey rod run and put it in the for sale car corral) I'm somewhat skeptical, but we'll see.

The engine is in with no drama, except for me spilling transmission fluid everywhere when I angled it w/o the shifter...I just need to modify the transmission mount to work with the 5spd's mount. It's laying just as I had measured, I have about 3-4" between it and the firewall.

Tim

Rewelded three of the four hydra boost mounts so I can fit a stock astovan booster. I also had to weld some pieces of tubing to accommodate the pedal Assy.

I also cut the floor hole out for the shifter and cut some floor pans out
      Tim

I removed the dash, it was simpler than I thought...I need to figure out what to do for the dash pad, I'd like to Replace it with a new stock one, but I hear they're expensive and take some time to get done. The pedals need to be tweaked a bit but the mount is in the right spot

My only concern now with the Astro van hydraboost is the hood clearance, but hopefully it should be fine.
      Tim

What year did your Astro van hydroboost come out of? I hear the earlier ones have less of an angle.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
      What year did your Astro van hydroboost come out of? I hear the earlier ones have less of an angle.

Jay
      I'm not sure, there were 6 vans there in the junkyard I was looking at, I think it was an early 90's. I need to replace it anyways the 'accumulator can' is loose, I'm just using it for mockup of the firewall for now, I'll keep that in mind though as long as the bolt pattern stays the same.
      Tim

Pardon my lack of knowledge is the astrovan hydro boost a major upgrade??? I'm sure it's to run the 4 disc but I'm just wondering if there is anything other than that? I like the project your approach and the information that's been shared so far. God bless and I can't wait to see more.

I find it amusing that the "old Town car" front suspension seems to have come with slotted and drilled rotors. lol

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by abdelillo View Post
      Pardon my lack of knowledge is the astrovan hydro boost a major upgrade??? I'm sure it's to run the 4 disc but I'm just wondering if there is anything other than that? I like the project your approach and the information that's been shared so far. God bless and I can't wait to see more.
      Thanks for the compliments! I wouldn't say it's an upgrade since the car came with power brakes, but for me I like the hydraboost because it is more compact than vacuum assisted brakes, so I'll have more room around the valve covers. Since it uses the hydraulic pump from the power steering I don't need any other supporting hardware. I've never dealt with the newer electric brakes, but I'm sure this project couldn't afford them anyways.
      Tim

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com