Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: Australia
      Sorry guys, I seem to get email notifications one time and not the next.

Quote Originally Posted by brawls43 View Post
      Something like this was what I meant, and maybe get tricky and sneak in an RS, maybe 3D print something for a custom emblem.
      I like the "F" and the dash, that's kind of what I had in mind. That in front of the Audi badge.

Quote Originally Posted by chevyz240 View Post
      Veeeerrrrry cool project! Good luck! I had some thoughts about putting my -64 Chevy C10 longbed body over the chassis of a BMW 740 E38, but I decided I had another project that I was already in over my head on!
      Yeah I have one of those other projects too, ha! I can't help myself. I'm shocker for it.

EDIT: I remember reading your build thread now on your other car. That is one serious build you are doing there. Well one!

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
      Awesome and out of the box, I love it.
      You're lucky to get RS6s I'm pretty sure they are one of the few that don't come state side.
      I found I can get an RS6 radiator out of the US but the cooling system is different to ours. Looks like we got higher temp package that included water cooling for the turbos. Which means there is a 3rd hose fitting on the radiator. Which is a shame as the US radiators are readily available and a decent price.
      So you guys must have had this model RS6 available. Do you know if you got that next model, the twin turbo V10?

Country Flag: United States
      really you could just cap the extra fitting- shouldnt see more than what 15lbs
      "Racing is life. Everything else is just, waiting"

we did not get the RS6 here in the us, the one you have is the C6 chassis, RS6, we only got the S6 of that chassis... the rad you prolly found was from the older B5 chassis RS6...and no, it wont work.

We did not get the turbo v10 but did get the V10 s6, I have one same motor as the lambo Gallardo...which I have also...and have had 5-6 of the twin turbo audis in the past...

anyway, great project...don't listen to peeps say they need excessive maintenance...they don't need anymore that anything else...just can be harder to find parts...

ANY of the biturbo V8 engines from that generation will use a similar rad...maybe not for mounting but the cooling requirements... it will help if you expand your search.

That's very helpful, thank you!

I nearly pulled the trigger on buying the US rad to have it modified. Glad I didn't.

I'm off to the rad shop on Tuesday, hopefully we can come up with a solution then.

And very impressive collection of cars you have there. Bloody nice!!

Well, it's been a long time since I've both logged on here or done anything about this car. I wanted to get further along with my 69 Mustang resto before starting this but after the last month that has passed, it has prompted me to pull my finger out on this and get stuck into it. I won't bore everyone with the details but I'll say that life is too short and it can all be taken away within moments. Life should be filled with enjoyment, so I'm going to concentrate more on that aspect.

So here we go, I gave her a tub, took it for a bit of a spin before putting it on my hoist and removing the drive train.

And out it comes. It's a beast.

And the diff. I was amazed how low the profile of it is.

Next up I made a jig off all of the mounting points for the diff, engine cradle, tail shaft, power steering rack and shock towers. I simply tacked together scrap steel I had about the place to do this.

I then got a mate to help me lift the Bronco chassis onto the jig.

after which we both stood back and laughed in shock at how well it lined up with the required mounting points and how level it sat.

The RS6 has a factory fitted shock tower brace so I've sat that into position.

I'm now up to cutting out the excess from the Bronco chassis that will not be needed or is in the way. After the Bronco shock towers were removed, I was able to align the chassis to where I wanted it and welded it to the jig.

I'm loving this build - did you say you'll keep the AWD? .. Mad not to.
      Well done on scoring the high-end donor car - it'll make for an absolute weapon, and ultimate sleeper at that

Cheers!

Yep, the complete driveline is staying stock. So the AWD is staying.
      I think it'll be hilarious driving around when it's done. No one is going to expect what's under it. And I'm not sure what any Audi dealership will think if I ask them to look at it.

Country Flag: Canada
      What is the wms to wms width of the rear end? Crazy how compact that is.

Definitely an easier said than done project. This type of project takes a little bit of not caring;;;; not caring that stuff doesn't just fit into place, not caring if anyone doubts you, etc.

From my experience having something a little different, if your work is good, taking it to a dealership should catch their interest & stop employees in their tracks.

The one area I'd consider scary is all the factory wiring & one stupid little thing like an unneeded body sensor type part keeping the whole mess from working.

Definitely will be following this one.

Just a dumb thought, if you could work out the design, incorporating the rear diffusor & exhaust locations into a custom bumper or something from scratch to look like it may look pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mc Mahon View Post
      What is the wms to wms width of the rear end? Crazy how compact that is.
      What are you referring to with "wms"?

Me too, it's so tiny and light!

Quote Originally Posted by jlcustomz View Post
      Definitely an easier said than done project. This type of project takes a little bit of not caring;;;; not caring that stuff doesn't just fit into place, not caring if anyone doubts you, etc.

From my experience having something a little different, if your work is good, taking it to a dealership should catch their interest & stop employees in their tracks.

The one area I'd consider scary is all the factory wiring & one stupid little thing like an unneeded body sensor type part keeping the whole mess from working.

Definitely will be following this one.

Just a dumb thought, if you could work out the design, incorporating the rear diffusor & exhaust locations into a custom bumper or something from scratch to look like it may look pretty cool.
      I like the way you put that, not caring. Not caring what others think is something I do well. haha
      This will definitely be something different. It'll create all kinds of different opinions I am sure.

I spent quite a bit of time earlier in the year building another Audi, nothing special, just a body swap on an A3, but I ran into all kinds of electrical issues. I managed to work through them and I learned a great deal about Audi's in the process. This project will be far easier in comparison as I'm only unplugging and plugging back together. Then I'll reduce the excess. The previous Audi was a blend of two engine variations and a lot of rewiring was required. And you are not wrong, one wrong sensor or fault and all kinds of issues arise.

I'm just going to build a simple flat bed for the back. I don't have an original tub and I want to go with a timber slat bed instead. So there won't really be a rear bumper of any sort.

Wheel mounting surface

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mc Mahon View Post
      Wheel mounting surface
      Ah sweet. I measured 1640mm.

I'm an Audi guy myself and this thing will be bad ass.

Fwiw, that is a C5 chassis, not a C6, and we did get those in the US. So it shouldn't be surprising to find used rs6 parts stateside.

So true on wiring if you've had to piece something together, then a whole complete system is simple by comparison to your previous learning experience. Been there, done that with efi engine swaps.

So, just wondering what your plans are for the truck exterior theme, totally old stock looking or a little hot rod resto mod looking?? I saw one truck with a cab body drop & fat wheels on a 1950 ford truck google images search that looked pretty cool if you'd be going that route. Your Audi wheels would probably look good with that theme. What about interior, old style or audi luxury?
      https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...pGI5c9S5CqUDM:

On the fabrication aspect, first thought would be that something like an Audi would be a more difficult choice to use all the important parts from. But from the pictures, the rear IRS unit in particular, looks easier to swap into something else than lets say GM products.

This kicks ass. Saw it several months back when you started the thread and am happy to see you chipping away at it. Should be cool when you get it done!

Dan
      A.K.A: That bald guy
      Find me on Facebook or my personal website.

- 67 Camaro: Current Project Car

Quote Originally Posted by Joshdub View Post
      I'm an Audi guy myself and this thing will be bad ass.

Fwiw, that is a C5 chassis, not a C6, and we did get those in the US. So it shouldn't be surprising to find used rs6 parts stateside.
      I have seen some RS6 parts on the US eBay. And the prices aren't too bad compared to the UK or here in Aus. They pretty much don't exist here in Aus.

Quote Originally Posted by jlcustomz View Post
      So true on wiring if you've had to piece something together, then a whole complete system is simple by comparison to your previous learning experience. Been there, done that with efi engine swaps.

So, just wondering what your plans are for the truck exterior theme, totally old stock looking or a little hot rod resto mod looking?? I saw one truck with a cab body drop & fat wheels on a 1950 ford truck google images search that looked pretty cool if you'd be going that route. Your Audi wheels would probably look good with that theme. What about interior, old style or audi luxury?
      https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...pGI5c9S5CqUDM:

On the fabrication aspect, first thought would be that something like an Audi would be a more difficult choice to use all the important parts from. But from the pictures, the rear IRS unit in particular, looks easier to swap into something else than lets say GM products.
      Exterior I will be leaving the cab and front end as is. No paint, no changes. I'm hoping to get away with even leaving the rust holes in the bottoms of the fenders. But they may have to be chopped yet. I really want it to look like it just got dragged out of the paddock or barn. That way it'll be even more of a shock to what is underneath it.
      I'm expecting I'll have to do a body drop too. It will all depend on where the front fenders line up to the front wheels. That will decide the location of everything body wise.

That truck you found is very different to most but I don't mind it. My original plan when I only had a cab was to go with a look like that and have open wheels. But you are not allowed to do that here in Aus. They have to be covered in some way. Then I scored this front clip for steal and it matches the colouring of the cab perfectly.

Interior wise I'm hoping to use the rear Recaro seat from the Audi. It fits in width wise and I'd like to make it a 3 seater so my kids can fit in with me. I'll also use the Audi steering column and dash cluster. Mainly because they are both required to run the electronics of the car. And also less re-engineering needed, just modify and fit.

I agree on the fabrication aspect too. When I really started to work out what I needed to do, it appeared it was going to be easier than expected. And now with the chassis on the jig, it's looking even easier again. It's scary how well it is working out.

Quote Originally Posted by 67SSDan View Post
      This kicks ass. Saw it several months back when you started the thread and am happy to see you chipping away at it. Should be cool when you get it done!

Dan
      Cheers, Dan!

The weirder, the better! I love the creative builds.
      My thoughts and ramblings while working on my motor driven menagerie http://mechanicdude.blogspot.com/

This is going on he awesome
      1971 chevelle LSA 700hp -

Cheers, guys!

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com