Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

1967 Mustang Coupe - Old And New

I got a similar post started in my Welcome to Pro-Touring thread. I will be starting over on this thread.

Here is what I am working on

Quote Originally Posted by Thatorange67 View Post
      I am new to the board, I hope to gain some insight into the world of great car craftsmanship. I have restored a 1967 Mustang coupe, which was a disaster when I first got it (more pictures of that later), and I am now hoping to design a new look that will entail new and old mustang models. I know it's a coupe and not that $100,000 fastback build. But I am really hoping to get opinions from all over the board to get a coupe into the ranks of something more than just "2nd best".
      ---

This is what it looked like about 3 years ago after about a 3 to 4 year restoration. At this point I was satisfied with how the car looked but I really felt as if the car fit perfectly into the satisfactory category. First things that popped out at me was the stance, too high in the back. Another thing that stood out to me was I really didn't stick with a good theme. Blacked out bumpers and everything but then Chrome mirrors and antenna. So I am getting rid of the antenna and most likely mirrors. Let's see some suggestions!
      ---
      Copied from my other thread
      Attached Images Attached Images  

New Gas cap, part of the whole, get rid of the chrome plated accessories thing. That is also a custom valance I built, I will probably redo it.
      - - -

So I managed to find a Shelby front nose off ebay for $40. What can you do when nobody else is bidding? Bad part is that it fit so terribly that I had to cut it in half. I have made metal brackets and welded studs to fasten it to the fenders. After that I glassed over it to make sure it is sturdy.
      - - -

I have an extra hood, thinking about making my own design. I glassed the nose together so it is now one piece. I don't want to spend $400 on a shelby hood so I think I will either extend this hoos or cut it and make a solid nose like the 2015 mustangs.
      This is the valance I made, not sure if it looks as good on the car as it did in my head
      - - -

I forgot the image of the valance with the previous quote... sorry

I made a template for the fiberglass to mold onto the nose, I laid aluminum foil over the hood then glassed over it. Now I have the template and same shape that I need tgat looks like the hood but will actually be a part of nose. I will cut the hood back and so it will have the boxed in hood look that I love so much. The z28s did it, and the new ford Mustangs have the boxed in hood.

Here is another look at the car before the mods began this winter. Basically I am just working my way back. Once I get the front end looking the way I want it, I will move to possibly removing the mirrors (they serve no purpose except for looking very standout-ish). Then I want to remove the stock door handles and replace them with ones that are flush with the body. I like the shaved look but I don't want to deal with the dead battery --> smash windows --> "why didn't I make a safety cable?" Route. So this way will take on both looks, safety of door handle reliability and the look of clean shaved doors. Then I will make a custom center counsel. New back seats to match the front. And possibly... possibly... a spoiler. They are the biggest make or break on a car. That's why I will tackle it last. And I have a 4.6L DOHC engine and trans ready to go in it with my custom suspension up front. If any one has suggestions on how to lower the rear it would be much appreciated. I have 5 leaf springs, too bouncy on these Michigan roads, and it is wayyyy too high in the back. Would love to drop it 2.5 inches.Name:  20150501_171158.jpg
Views: 3585
Size:  453.7 KBName:  20150501_171158.jpg
Views: 3585
Size:  453.7 KB

I like it!

I made more progress on my front shelby nose. I hope I can get more feedback on the nose and the project. So far I reinforced the center piece. I then will glass the two sections together.

wondering why you chose to fiberglass it into the steel instead of cutting the edge off and welding metal in there. SHould look pretty cool, just worry about that fiberglass staying put. Looks alot like my cousins orange 67 coupe, keep up the progress!
      "Racing is life. Everything else is just, waiting"

Quote Originally Posted by xsboost90 View Post
      wondering why you chose to fiberglass it into the steel instead of cutting the edge off and welding metal in there. SHould look pretty cool, just worry about that fiberglass staying put. Looks alot like my cousins orange 67 coupe, keep up the progress!
      Oh Im not glassing it to the steel, I am just using this hood as a template for the fiberglass shape. There is tin foil under it so it won't stick to it. I will fiberglass the piece to the nose after it becomes dry.

ahh- cool! Should be sweet. My cousin wants to paint his orange car- which is alittle rough- that new orange mustang color. Saw one the other day and it was pretty nice looking. Good luck, i'll be following.
      "Racing is life. Everything else is just, waiting"

Quote Originally Posted by xsboost90 View Post
      ahh- cool! Should be sweet. My cousin wants to paint his orange car- which is alittle rough- that new orange mustang color. Saw one the other day and it was pretty nice looking. Good luck, i'll be following.
      Awesome! I really appreciate the kind words!

Nice looking Car. Keep it going...
      Ron -
      1970 Mach1
      440 RWHP, 428 RWTQ
      Calypso Coral, 357W, T5Z 5-speed,
      Edelbrock 454 17x8 Wheels, 255x40x17 rear, 215x45x17 front, Bridgestone Potenza RE-71, TCP Coilovers Front, Global West Del-A-Lum Bushings,Global West Adj. Strut Rods, Wilwood Discs All around

So this is where I am pulling inspiration from when it comes to the front nose of the mustang. Notice how it is one solid nose + bumper. The hood is boxed in by the front bumper cover. For mine, essentially the same idea but with the old shelby nose. I am not going to run a bumper, instead I have fabbed up an in bumper piece to go inside tgat are mounted to some modified old bumper braces. Anywho, my nose cone will be one solid piece acting like the 2015 bumper cover, ot saved money and I personally like the look and feel of it more. I am also mocking up a custom grill that will go in the top and bottom openings in the shelby nose. I love the aggressive look of the shelby nose but we can all agree, it has been wayyyyyyy over used on the mustang models. I am merely using it as a guide for a modified version of this modern look I am trying to achieve. And I don't own this vehicle, or this picture, I follow this guy on instagram so I don't take credit for the photo nor car.

too bad you couldn't have gotten a 1968 shelby nose.. they had the "boxed in" hood like you are talking about
      Justin Hocking
      67 Mustang Coupe to Fastback swap
      TCI front and rear
      Detroit Mini Tub

Future coyote

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast