Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
      Looking great! Interior pics?

Very cool nose, I like it a lot.
      Cars are meant to be driven.

John B

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by gschris View Post
      Looking great! Interior pics?
      Yes thank you! I have been needing to post interior pictures, my seats and interior is all custom fit from a G6 Pontiac. I have always loved the interior in them, I went to a junk yard, found the seats, front and back, center console and other pieces all for $150. I had to make custom seat brackets and things to fit them in.... My back was on fire lol

Quote Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
      Very cool nose, I like it a lot.
      I appreciate it! I still have some minor body lines and angles that still need adjustment

Hello everyone. I am sorry about the delay in pictures and updates. For some reason pro-touring was not working at all when I would sign in. But now finally after almost 6 months it isn't giving me any trouble.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Here are some requested pictures of the interior. I had to make custom brackets for the front and back seats. The design was basically a bolt in system that allows me to take the seats out quickly for whatever reason. The whole interior is from a 2006 pontiac G8. I loved The seats and interior... Just kinda went to the junkyard and looked aroumd until I found something I liked. All together it cost around $150 complete interior now doing the math again.

Those are dryer sheets by the way. Mice seem to hate them plus it makes the car smell like laundry so win win

Just some updates... Modding a 2015 mustang rear valance to fit the 67. Had to cut off the ends and glass in some new ends bc they were completely the wrong angles. What do you expect when trying to mod a 50 year difference in parts?

Progress pictures of the rear valance

Mocking up the rear valance and fitting the back-up light.

Getting a closer look at the final results. It needs the exhaust dumped out the back but that's the next step.

Engine compartment teardown

Welp... Here goes more progress. Making room for the coyote. QA1 springs going in. Reinforced the front with box tube. The happy balance between mustang II, strut, amd original suspension setup.

So here is the happs. Coyote going in. I have to make room for the build but did not want to go the mustang II route. While they are becoming more and more reasonable in price, I feel that the ride is not as smooth from the other vehicles I've installed them in. Initially was going to go the whole strut route but figured for the price, might as well cut most everything out while Im at it. So this is what we did. Kept the same mounting holes and geometry of the stock mustang. My suspension was all brand new so it was frustrating to think of buying new stuff. So we adapted the suspension to this new design. Beefed up the lower control arms. Cut out 75% of the shock towers. The lower part of the remaining towers will be used for the engine mounts and part of the new coilover mounting brackets. Then we widened the engine compartment to allow for more room -- the mustangs never had much room to begin with. A lot of reinforcements. The weight needs to be distributed evenly. I personally love the way it looks. Next, once the coilovers are installed, we'll wheel it out to hose it down and clean the crap off it. I restored this when I was 16. Almost 10 years ago. So the engine compartment is pretty gross.

I put in the coilovers. Welded the top plates. Made brackets for the coilovers to mount on the lower control arms. Finished the steering, modified the tie-rod ends. Had to shorten them up. Steering we used two PTO steering mounts. The front end turns as much as a modern car. Finally, welded in the cross-members for the upper mount of the coilovers.

Photo can make it difficult to judge the relationship of points but do you have a reverse Ackermann setup?

Quote Originally Posted by lobudget View Post
      Photo can make it difficult to judge the relationship of points but do you have a reverse Ackermann setup?
      As best as I can explain, we tried keeping the original geometry of the suspension being that mustang II front ends tend to mess with it. Now we also took the spindles and reversed them so that the steering rack is front mounted. The problem is, although we moved everything to being front mounted, we lost the sway bar in the process. Gonna have to figure that out. By definition it could be considered reverse Ackermann, but it wasnt really the original goal. It just kinda started unfolding that way. Good eye on your part though. Although the steering is sharp, we really cant go any further or the wheels actually hit on the sub frame If we made it turn sharper.

A look at the lower bracket for the coilovers. Im as shocked as my Dad while building this. We were afraid that that the tie-rod ends would hit on the lower control arm strut. But they don't. In fact, we jacked it up each side to max and have zero interference. The lower control arms are adjustable and the coilovers seem to have clearance with caster and camber of the lower control arm. Its kinda tricky stuff. We're in uncharted territory. But so far everything is coming together well. The true test will come when we test drive it

I've got a hotrod with reverse Akermann and find that it's not noticeable till the turning radius gets pretty sharp. On loose/wet surfaces it can push. It really makes itself known if you're pushing the car and turn the wheels. If feels like the brakes are on. I could correct it with adapter brackets since there is adequate clearance to the rotors but the more I drive it the less it seems needed.

Quote Originally Posted by lobudget View Post
      I've got a hotrod with reverse Akermann and find that it's not noticeable till the turning radius gets pretty sharp. On loose/wet surfaces it can push. It really makes itself known if you're pushing the car and turn the wheels. If feels like the brakes are on. I could correct it with adapter brackets since there is adequate clearance to the rotors but the more I drive it the less it seems needed.
      Ok Yeah, I see your set-up is just like it. I think the modern steering is similar, mine is more of a modern steering set-up. Unfortunately, with everything, we both have positives and drawbacks. I really hope mine has sharp turning. A lot of people really complain about the Mustang II steering. Beautiful car btw! Love the way it looks!

To eliminate the not too uncommon "death shake" that tube/kingpin set ups can experience, I run a little toe out on the hot rod. Toe out also reduces the amount of reverse Akermann. Toe out was a Viper trick too. Makes the car really quick at turn in but at the cost of some wandering when going straight.

I like your efforts. I've got a few Mustangs in my pile of projects. Their front suspension is the biggest part of the projects that I have yet to decide how to go.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast