Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by lobudget View Post
      To eliminate the not too uncommon "death shake" that tube/kingpin set ups can experience, I run a little toe out on the hot rod. Toe out also reduces the amount of reverse Akermann. Toe out was a Viper trick too. Makes the car really quick at turn in but at the cost of some wandering when going straight.

I like your efforts. I've got a few Mustangs in my pile of projects. Their front suspension is the biggest part of the projects that I have yet to decide how to go.
      I will let you know how it goes then. Hopefully we found a solution to the Mustang suspension. Its a never ending debate it seems. But the coilovers are longer than a Mustang II would allow. The geometry is close to the original car geometry. And updated steering with coilovers should get me there. What Mustangs do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Thatorange67 View Post
      I will let you know how it goes then. Hopefully we found a solution to the Mustang suspension. Its a never ending debate it seems. But the coilovers are longer than a Mustang II would allow. The geometry is close to the original car geometry. And updated steering with coilovers should get me there. What Mustangs do you have?

'66 gasser, '67 Shelby tribute (not an Eleanor style), '69 and a Clydesdale. There's another '66 coupe with a pile of sheet metal to turn it into a GT350R tribute. The funny thing is my wife had a nearly done '67 coupe. We sold that one.
      Attached Images Attached Images        

Over the top

Absolutely , outstanding , work skills above and beyond the norm

Quote Originally Posted by lobudget View Post
      '66 gasser, '67 Shelby tribute (not an Eleanor style), '69 and a Clydesdale. There's another '66 coupe with a pile of sheet metal to turn it into a GT350R tribute. The funny thing is my wife had a nearly done '67 coupe. We sold that one.
      Amazing collection! Looking forward to see what you decide to do!

Quote Originally Posted by vernlee View Post
      Absolutely , outstanding , work skills above and beyond the norm
      Much appreciated! Other people on here have really inspired many, like myself, to try and create something that's their own. I hope it works out in the end

So a couple things here, those are steering mounts that allow the steering column to pivot and turn perfectly without slip. One is mounted to the firewall. The other I made a bracket for. The purpose for this is that my goal is to have as much space in the engine compartment as possible but also the practicality too (more on that later). I picked up multiple steering shafts from the junkyard, adding multiple joints allowed me to tuck the steering shaft close to the frame without coming in contact with anything. I began shaping the remaining shock tower down so that it looks nicer. My plan is to make it look integrated with the car. The nice thing is that it all keeps that same geometry of the car. Lastly, the fender mounting predicament. I created a panel that had the same contour as the fender. The fenders are not straight, they do a goofy arc-shape on the bottom. This panel was welded to the box-tubing. The inner panel for the engine compartment will basically sit on top of this. Im making it so that panel will bolt on and off so I can get to the engine easily.

So this is the progress on what's going to be the hood hinge mounting spots. Obviously it is in its infant form still but its a rough mock. The other side is closer to being mocked up for the passenger side fender. It's being more stubborn than the driver side. The fender is not sitting down all the way bc its hitting partially on the frame... Which is dumb. Once its completed, then I can drop in the complete engine compartment panels and then finish the hood hinge mounts. After that, engine will go in for the first time, but not the last, to get an idea of fitment.

So just a slight change of plans. I'm making it so the panels closest to the firewall are the only removable ones instead of one giant panel. 3 seperate panels on each side. The middle panel, which will be around the upper cintrol arm and shock area will be welded in. It will sit inside the engine compartment. The front most panel will be like that back most panel and will also sit outside. This way it does 2 things, creates a pattern for the engine compartment, and keeps grime and dirt from getting into the engine bay.

Will be finishing the engine compartment today. Welding in panels and bolting in removable ones. The engine ia going to be test fit. I need new valve/cam cover bolts. Mine are all rusting on the coyote. Please let me know whwre to get some new ones if ya know.

Ok so not as far today as I wanted. It took longer to make the middle pieces than I wanted. They aren't 100% symmetrical on purpose because the shock towers angle back a little, so they are off set kinda. You can see from the back panels that they are made to bolt on and off. Just in case. I know the mechanic (its me) so I want to make it easy on him. The hood and fenders were put on to make sure everything lined up before everything gets a final weld. I'm a little worried about the motor mounts. They are the next step. Feel free to comment... Im mainly talking to myself here.

So the hinges are now mounted and the hood fits well. Not only do the hinges fit well but I need need new hinges... Yeah... They are broke, just too much play in their 50 year old lifetime. Now that we know the hood fits. Next step is to weld the front most panels in. The engine will be test fit tomorrow, the engine mount design is done. It will consist of basically another cross member between the lower control arm mounts.

Ok so engine test fit went very well. To all you doubters who said it wouldn't fit... It does. Cam/valve covers cleared the master cylinder and booster along. The only thing that is slightly hitting is the front mounted oil filter. I was gonna get the side mounted one like on the mustangs but decided that it will work if we notch a little piece out bc its very close. Now building the headers is gonna suck and making the engine mounts will be very time consuming.

Wow I am impressed that everything does clear as well as it seems to. I will say that I'm concerned about room for decent header primaries. Too many people consider headers an after thought when retrofitting engines like this, but the coyote has proven over and over that it LOVES to breathe.

Keep up the good work! This is fun to follow.
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Sbeck09 View Post
      Wow I am impressed that everything does clear as well as it seems to. I will say that I'm concerned about room for decent header primaries. Too many people consider headers an after thought when retrofitting engines like this, but the coyote has proven over and over that it LOVES to breathe.

Keep up the good work! This is fun to follow.
      Well thank you kind sir! It is definitely something of a concern to me. There is limited room. I am hoping that we can make the headers angle down more rather than horizontally. The steering is very far out of the way so that is not concerning. It will be a balancing act for sure.

So the two front panels are done. So the mocked up engine compartment is done. Now we will finish the welding of everything and grinding to make it look nice and ready for paint. The welder was acting up just terrible so the welds looked poor to say the least. Hopefully its dialed in now. But with that being said, its on to the engine mounts and headers. As some people have brought out this is a larger step. I am confident we will get this done. The engine sits in the car snug but nothing is hitting.

A couple things here, I'm just showing how close we were to certain areas. 1/2 inch for the oil filter, valve covers, and master cylinder to hit. Which isn't ideal but it should work. I started welding all the seams up with the welder and grinding them down. I hate this process so its kinda slow going. We made the motor mounts and were able to slightly modify the trans mount and cross member. Everything is going smooth except for one thing. We bolted the engine to the trans, literally hand tightened them on... And now we can't get them out. Has anyone had this issue? We didn't use an impact driver so kinda confused as to why they are stuck in. They were the original trans bolts...

The process of grinding and smoothing the metal is kinda meticulous. But it will pay off when its done. A lot more smoothing out and welding to go still. I got my headers in for the coyote as well. I got them rather cheap. But they will be chopped up a little to fit in the car. BBK headers... Not really sure if they are any good or not. Either way they wont be the same when we're done with them. We have the motor mounts in. They will need to be reinforced. After they are reinforced and the headers are finished. The more cosmetic stuff will start with the engine compartment. After we figure out a location for the radiator and accessories we can paint the compartment orange. Still have to run the battery to the back, hook up the fuel system, and buy the dreaded expensive efi/pcm for the coyote. I also need s controller for the 4r70w. I hate buying the expensive stuff but it's gotta be done.

Quick update: the engine is now sitting on it's own without a jack/stand. The trans mount also is in, so now we are making the exhaust/headers. This has proved to be more difficult than most of the project which was expected. There is not a lot of room, so trying to make them bolt on and off once in the car is tricky. Ideally it would be nice to lift the whole engine in and out of the car with the headers on but at the moment that doesn't seem likely. Once the headers are done, we have to modify the drive shaft ever so slightly, relocate the battery, hook up the fuel system, and then purchase the electrical. We are not going the ford control pack route. Although it is simple, after talking to many people it sounds like it leaves much to be desired.

Well thanks for noticing my project and I see what you got going on, ..custom built front end to accomodate the motor and all?

Quote Originally Posted by GB68 View Post
      Well thanks for noticing my project and I see what you got going on, ..custom built front end to accomodate the motor and all?
      Your project is very cool, i hope more people start to look at it, you've got a very extensive modification going that is sure to turn heads. Yeah we basically cut everything out of the front minus the frame we built. Then remade the engine compartment to really give enough room. The panels are removable so as to make engine maintenance easier. Custom coilovers along with custom suspension to keep the geometry of the car correct but eliminate the majority of the shock towers.

Update:

The headers are now mostly done. Im extremely surprised how easily they come on and off the engine with as little space we felt we had initially. Thankfully the coyote is not wide on the bottom as it is the top because the headers literally drop out the bottom. Im hoping they will give good enough flow for the engine. Its so hard to say at the moment but the flow is at least better than stock. The headers aren't artistic masterpieces like most people's on here, but they are functional and better than the stock.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast