Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Second gen pedal ratios

So got some measurements for you all on an old pedal and ratios using upper hole for manual(where brake light switch bolts) makes it 6.5:1. Regular power brake hole for single diaphragm booster (11"?) 3.53:1. 79-81 4WD dual diaphragm booster(9"?) 2.8:1

When I first swapped the '81 4WD system on my '78 I kept the same "regular" power brake pedal on the new booster. Stopped good not much feel until I bought the correct 4WD pedal with less ratio.
      1978 Black Trans Am 455 Edelbrock heads [email protected] through mufflers on pump gas
      1981 Trans Am 400 stock type motor
      79 Camaro getting a 500" 695 hp IA2 Pontiac motor
      1965 GTO project car
      470ci/Chevy dual quad 409 604 HP 64 Impala SS project
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

Country Flag: United States
      Interesting, did the 4 wheel disc on 3 sec gens with the stock pedal and no complaints. Works fine.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

maybe Tobin can comment on the assist of a single 11" vs a dual 9". I can tell you that dual 9" would work fine unless idle vacuum got below 9"
      1978 Black Trans Am 455 Edelbrock heads [email protected] through mufflers on pump gas
      1965 GTO project car
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

I'll have to try it and see how it feels.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

When I did the swap it stopped great but hardly much feel as it had a little more ratio as well as more assist. Not terrible but not as good as the lower ratio.

Now my daughter's Kia Soul if you blow on the pedal it sends you through the windshield!
      1965 GTO project car
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

So are you saying it I decided to go with a manual set up the I would use the upper hole for the rod? Where do you put the brake switch then? Someday I am going to be putting a TA disc brake rear end and have been reading up on it and alot of people like that set up with manual brakes instead of power.
      -Kevin
      Project Thread:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/113334-Project-JUNK-the-ultimate-budget-project!!-1979-Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by kevs79 View Post
      So are you saying it I decided to go with a manual set up the I would use the upper hole for the rod? Where do you put the brake switch then? Someday I am going to be putting a TA disc brake rear end and have been reading up on it and alot of people like that set up with manual brakes instead of power.
      You want to have the correct ratio to work with the rest of the system. Which isn't necessarily the upper hole (although that hole might be correct or close for your particular application). In my case I'm installing twin manual master cylinders and needed to position a new hole where it would interfere with the brake switch bracket hole. I drilled a couple new holes for some small bolts to hold the bracket (Why GM used such a thick bolt I have no idea). Modified the bracket. Welded a piece of threaded rod to fill the old upper hole and drilled a new hole for the clevis mount press in stud.

Last edited by NOT A TA; 02-06-2016 at 09:14 PM.

I kept the switch bracket on the upper hole and clevis I used on my '79 Camaro project.
      1965 GTO project car
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post
      So got some measurements for you all on an old pedal and ratios using upper hole for manual(where brake light switch bolts) makes it 6.5:1. Regular power brake hole for single diaphragm booster (11"?) 3.53:1. 79-81 4WD dual diaphragm booster(9"?) 2.8:1
      I know this is an old post but I'm corresponding with Wilwood right now and just took pedal measurements on my 73 firebird equipped with manual brakes from factory. My pedal seems to have different measurements from the one above so maybe they changed over time. Being a manual brake car, my pedal is already set up with the push rod in the upper of the two holes position and here are my measurements if it helps anyone:

• A. Distance from pivot point to middle of push / pull point (center of brake pedal pad) = 11.5 inch
      • B. Distance from pivot to point of push on master cylinder = 2.0 inch
      • Pedal ratio = 5.75 inch
      • Note: The factory cast iron master cylinder appears to be a 1.0 inch bore according to my calipers.
      • For instructions on calculating ratios: https://shop.wilwood.com/blogs/news/...w-to-find-them

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com