Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
      Thanks Peanut. Things were looking good to have it running this weekend but looks like I dont even have any engine harnesses at work to borrow. So back to not working on it until a harness shows up.... Guess I will finish swapping the turbo on my Evo instead.
      1970 VW Bug - Just your average mid engine Bug
      Track toy - 06 Evo - E85 and lots of boost
      Newest track toy - 2021 Supra

Country Flag: United States
      Hey Sean,

I understand the emotional roller coaster of decisions of what project to spend money on and work on! I'm looking forward to hearing how the Bug performs with a lot less horsepower. It might be just fine with the lightweight car. Probably a little lighter without the boosted bits. Sorry to hear about your ailing EVO. Did you figure out why you had such low compression and excessive leak down? Have you decided to keep the Bug or not?
      Ray
      FEW FRILLS, just BIG CHILLS!!!
      1972 VW Bug (427LS/T56 Magnum/9"-3.70 gears)
      18"x10-1/2" (315/30/18) Front, 18”x12" (335/30/18”) Rear
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Lady-Bug-quot

Ray - Ya I do have too many projects going on right now. I guess that makes me have less interest in the Bug now. While I think it will still be fun with the new engine, its not really going to be competitive in the class I want to race it in due to the lack of power. So all the racing I would do would be just for fun, which isnt really a bad thing.

My Evo is doing a bit better. I bled the lifters and the compression came up a little but I am still leaking air past the exhaust valves. So the head will need to come off at some point. And if I am going to tear into it that far, I am just going to pull the engine and build a stroker for it.

As far as the Bug goes, I have no idea if I am keeping it or selling it. Still leaning towards selling it but wont know until I get it back together and drive it again.

Time to build a V8 Beetle!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Andrew - You know thats actually not a bad idea! Seeing how prices for mostly every other type of classic car are through the roof now, I would still be able to get a Bug for cheap. I would only need the shell anyways. Then I could compete in things like LS fest! Think about a Bug with C6 suspension and drive line! I could definitely go for that. Hmm....

More progress has been made on the Bug! Actually, quite a bit. Nothing picture worthy though. It is just about ready to fire up. All that I have left to do to make sure it runs is put in the gas tank and connect 2 more sensors. So its looking like I will have some time to fire it up this weekend! After I know it runs, its going to be a while before its back in driving condition. I have a lot of little things that are changing due to the new engine. So I have to make a new intake system, switch from DBC to DBW which means mounting a pedal somewhere, change around the coolant lines, change a little bit of the wiring and so on... But hey, at least I am moving in the right direction!

Here we are exactly 2 months later and there has been no progress on the Bug. Like a lot of people, life has got in the way. These past few months have been nothing but bad luck for me. Between work being the busiest its ever been and now being a single dad, time just doesnt seem to exist. Besides that, my Evo has been fighting me every chance it can get. Had to put the stock turbo back on, radiator got a hole in it and blew a coilover all within the month before my race. During my race this past weekend, something up front has started to make a pretty bad clunk. I actually decided to not sign up for the next event cause I dont know if I will have time or motivation to fix it. That being said, the Evo and racing is going to be put on hold for a while. That should free up so time to get back on the Bug, hopefully. I need one solid day to work on it and it will be back together. It really is that close.

On to a brighter subject, racing. I had a good 2 days racing over the weekend. It was nice to get out and get my mind off everything. The weather on Saturday sucked but it cooled down to about 80° for Sunday. Saturday was filled with the tires getting greasy and the car just not sticking. I even crossed the finish line with a 180° spin! Sunday was much better as my tires didnt over heat. I ended up placing 3rd. I beat every Corvette out there including a C8! First place was in some crazy Focus RS and 2nd was a Porsche GT3RS. So ya, I dont mind losing to those 2 cars with my 14 year old econobox. Overall, it was a good weekend and I cant wait to get out there again!

Name:  20200627_115731.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  227.6 KB

Name:  20200628_123317.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  215.7 KB

Name:  20200628_123458.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  237.4 KB

The bug is alive and running! Had the day off and made it happen. Thing should speed up now.

Do tell!

Its quite the boring story as I didnt have much left to do before it ran. Pretty much threw the gas tank in, put gas in it, primed the system and saw how many fuel lines I left loose (which was mostly all of them). Then I poured in some oil, cranked it over until oil came shooting out of something else I forgot to tighten and then fired it up. I let it run for a couple seconds to make sure all was good and that was it. Didnt have any coolant in it so I didnt want to let it run too long. If I have time when I get home, I will pour coolant in it and let it run for a bit. If I get crazy, I will throw a seat in and take it around the block to make sure all is good before I seal the engine compartment back up. I do have to say, I am happy with how much quieter it is out the exhaust with this engine.

More progress on the Bug has been made. Things are still going extra slow though haha. Work has been a bit too crazy and I am beat by the time I get home. However, I finally topped off the cooling system with water and let it run for a good 30 min. No odd noises, no leaks and all seems to be good. Now I just need to finish bleeding the air out of the system, make sure the radiator fan cycles, mount the new gas pedal somewhere, put a seat in and see how it drives. I might actually have it all wrapped up by the end of the month! Right in time for it being too hot out to drive it haha.

Great progress!!

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

Awesome! I love the bug.
      1966 C-10. Porterbuilt C4 front, 4 link 9" rear, Ridetech coilovers, Built 383/Muncie

Thanks guys! Ran into a few issues now that it has been run for over a hour. First off, the thermostat is stuck closed. Secondly, I need to rewire my fan relay. Old ecu put out a ground signal for the fans, new one is positive. Easy fix there. Next up was it was throwing a cam/crank correlation code. I retimed the cams and it solved that issue. Now back to figuring out where I am going to mount the gas pedal and then it will be road test time!

Back on this thing! Other car projects are pretty much done. My goal is to get it 100% back together by the end of the year. Then its going to live in the showroom at work until it sells. A decent update will come in a few days. The work has already begun.

Hey guys! Remember me? The one who is taking forever to put a Bug back together. Ya well its still not back together but I am slowly making progress!

Alright so I will start off with an Evo update. Took it out to the last race of the year and finished 1st! I then decided I needed more power for next season of racing. So I went ahead and ordered a stroker kit, bigger turbo and even bigger cams. I have everything lined up and ready to go for the build at the moment. BUT I think the Evo is going to get put back to stock and sold instead. I have been really thinking about getting one of the new Supras to turn into my next racecar. All that is still up in the air.

Name:  20201220_164536.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  276.8 KB

Name:  20201219_123346.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  274.1 KB

Before I decide what the fate of the Evo is, I told myself I am going to get the Bug all put back together. I have too many projects going at the same time and need to focus on getting one done at a time. So that is what I have been doing, getting the Bug back together. The most time consuming part has been getting the gauges to work. They are on a specific can bus signal and can only be tied to one type of ECU which I am no longer running. So I pretty much had to make an entire engine harness for a separate ECU just to run the gauges. I got that all done but waiting on some programming to be done before I can verify that everything works. The other big issue I was having is that the thermostat would not open. Tried 3 different ones all with the same outcome. Little did I know, with the stock thermostat housing, you have to loop the heater lines or you run into this issue. Normally that would be an easy fix but with how my header is, that wasnt an option. Long story short, I removed the thermostat and all is good now. Moving on to the next thing, I finally remote mounted the gas pedal. Its going to fit nicely under the seat.

Name:  20210210_210852.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  218.2 KB

From here, I have very little left to do. The engine is throwing a code for not enough fuel rail psi (direct injected) so I need to replace the high psi mechanical pump. My fuel psi regulator also decided it was going to start leaking out of the boost reference port. After I fix those 2 minor issues, I can slap all the interior back together and have a fairly finished car. Once that happens, I am going to bring it down to work and park it in the showroom.

On top of all that, I am remodeling my house. So I really need the Bug out of my garage so that I have room to put things while the house is torn apart. This past year has been a pretty wild ride and I am ready to get things back in order and projects done. The ex and I finally got the kid on a schedule, so I am no longer watching him everyday which means I actually have time to work in the garage! That was the biggest hurdle. From here, progress should be steady! I think that should get us all caught up for now.

Another update. Looks like I am taking the Evo out racing this weekend. Didnt think I was going to get in but I got the call yesterday! Also, the kid went to bed early last night so I got some more work done on the Bug.

Name:  20210211_215230.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  245.1 KB

Name:  20210211_223352.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  165.7 KB

Glad to see you making progress on the Bug!
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Thanks Andrew! It is nice actually having some free time again.

Bug is 99% back together! Have 1 seat and 2 harnesses left to put back in. Thats it!

Name:  20210215_192138.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  185.0 KB

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com