Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Bugzilla View Post
      Thanks Andrew! I hope it does. Might help make me want to keep it if I can make it more practical to drive. Now that I have my Evo where I want it, I am going to be back to working on the Bug. You know its kinda of sad actually. I got the Bug where I wanted it and then it sits. I get the Evo where I want it and now its just sitting. I drive it maybe once or twice a week. What is my problem!?
      You're a builder, not a driver. It's my problem as well. I enjoy the build more than the driving.

1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Man I dont know... I love driving, especially on the track. Maybe thats it. There are so many horrible drivers out here, it scares me to take something nice out on to the streets. If the Evo gets wrecked, not really a big deal as its replaceable. The Bug can never be replaced if totaled since it is all custom. I do love building cars but to me the fun is using them how they were intended. For me, thats beating them on the track.
      1970 VW Bug - Just your average mid engine Bug
      Track toy - 06 Evo - E85 and lots of boost
      Newest track toy - 2021 Supra

That doesn't explain why you don't drive them once you get them how you want them...lol
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Well I dont know then haha. Maybe if I sell off a few more cars I wont have any choice but to drive the ones that sit. That could work. Not sure how the other half is going to feel about me strapping the kid in the Bugs passengers seat though haha. Thats going to be an interesting conversation. Might have to mess with the car seat tonight to see how I can get it to fit, or if its even going to fit, before bringing it up.

I'd much rather be driving than building or working on my junk! Folks are welcome to come build on my junk anytime lol

Different strokes for different folks
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Chad, I am with you on that! But...

I am now going backwards on progress. I currently have a running and driving vehicle. By the end of the day, I will not. The removal of a perfectly good engine has begun. Did a compression test on it last night at the request of the engines future owner. Was 158-160 across the board. So that was a green light to pull it out. If all goes well, the engine will be out by Monday. I have some pretty crazy ideas going through my head now.

My biggest complaint about the Bug is how its not a comfortable driver. Its a race car. Since the heart of the race car will be gone and getting tamed way down, I figured there was more I can do while the engine is out to make it an actual driver. I really want to convince myself to keep the car so here we go.

Step 1 - A tame engine. A bone stock 2.4L is going back in. Should be quieter out the exhaust and run a lot smoother. That means less rattles and no more ringing ears after a long drive. A lot better gas mileage too!
      Step 2 - Add in AC and heat. I have been talking to Vintage air and I think we figured out whats going to work.
      Step 3 - More insulation!
      Step 4 - New gauges and a partial rewire. My current gauges wont work with the new ECU I will be using. The gauges have a ton of wires to make them work. The new ones wont. Where the AC is going to mount is going to be in the way of my fuse block. So I figure I can just rewire the front half of the car. Should be simple. Might even decide to use a Smartwire module to clean things up even more.

In the middle of all that, I plan on adding on to my roll cage. I want to add 2 more bars to tie in the middle to the rear (through the rear hatch to the frame) and 2 more from the front to the very front (through the dash to the frame). Should have done that originally but whatever. The car will be gutted so it will be the perfect time. I am also going to finish the under belly pan. There are just a few areas in the rear that need it. After that, it will have a 100% flat belly. And lastly, I just need to put the side windows in and this thing should be a decent driver. Lets hope so at least.

The fun task of removing the engine has officially begun. Should be out by the weekend.

Name:  20190617_185830.jpg
Views: 1164
Size:  103.5 KB

Name:  20190617_192631.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  133.9 KB

Alright, I signed up for my next auto-x event. Hopefully I make it in the Bug but not thinking it's going to happen. NMCA West on Aug 31 at Fontana Speedway. It's going to be a hot one but should be well worth it. Most likely I'll be there in my Evo. I just got a bunch of new parts for it so I think I might do a practice race just to be sure I get it dialed in on time.

Made some progress on the Bug over the weekend. I say progress but this is just putting me even further behind. Engine is out and will be going to its new home tomorrow. Internally, it still looks brand new and it should since it only has 250 miles and one race on it. Its going to be a while before I am back on this thing. Got to finish putting my house back together first. Maybe once the weather cools off it will be time to put the new engine in.

And like normal, the absolutely horrible task of taking it out through the door!

Name:  20190630_183626.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  158.8 KB

Name:  20190630_201057.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  115.0 KB

Hey everyone! Guess what? The Bug still has no engine.... Motivation to get going on the new engine is pretty much non existent. Still have a torn apart house, added in a front yard remodel (which has been a nightmare) and had my kids 1st bday party to put together. So maybe by the end of the year the Bug will be running again. Who knows. Its been way to hot to work on it anyways. Only 105° and something like 70% humidity today. My garage AC does not help in this kind of heat.

Other then all that, my Evo has been running great so I decided to take it out racing! I was thrown in the Sports Car class which was full of Corvettes. Ended up getting 2nd which I am super happy about considering the person who beat me was Jake Rozelle. Need some more seat time before I can attempt to compete with him since he is a pro and has over 700hp. I currently have a new turbo being built which should net me about another 100hp and about only 200 rpm more lag. That will go on after the finals which are Oct 19-20.

Well, this post will be the same as the last one. Bug still has no engine and I took the Evo out racing again. Went drag racing a couple weeks ago, had clutch problems, so I only managed a 12.7. Car should run a 12.2. And after that day at the drags, my clutch gave up, 2 weeks before my final auto-x race of the year. Got the car back together and driving 2 days before the event, went racing and took home 1st!

Name:  20191020_182149.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  180.7 KB

Hey everyone. Finally an update about the Bug. I finally took my new engine home a couple weeks ago. I was going to throw it in last weekend but decided to mock a few things up since the engine is a bit different then the last one. Well, its not looking good. My header hits one of the cam sensors and the thermostat housing. The thermostat housing is no big deal as I can just grind down where its hitting but the cam sensor is something else. I am not sure if I can just space the header out cause I think it will hit my frame. For sure, I am not remaking the header! So as of now, I am at a standstill, once again. Ugh....

Could you get by with modifying just one tube?

I honestly dont know if I can get away with modifying just one tube. Ya it would be easy to cut it apart and make a new tube that clears but welding it back together would be the issue. I dont think I would be able to get to a 1/4 of the tube since it sits right on top of another tube. When I made the header, I welded each runner off the header before welding the runners to the collector and header flange.

Honestly, if it comes down to it, I will just put a stock cast manifold on it and make a tube to connect that back to the rest of my exhaust. Not ideal but it would work.

Had more time to look at it and think. Pretty sure I came up with a solution. Wont know until I try. I am going to cut part of the sensor off. The part the plug normally clips on to. From there I am going to bend the pins down and solder some wires to the pins on the sensor. Then I can just remote mount the plug. That should give me enough room. I will have to make a heat shield for the sensor and wrap the wires in a heat sleeve but I think it should work!

My Evo is down right now, doing cams and a bigger turbo but I'm waiting on more parts to show up. So I should have some time to test this out and get the engine back in the Bug.

Sounds like a plan!

Here are some pictures to show what I am dealing with. This is with the header not being flush to the head. Probably a 1/4" gap still.

Name:  20191205_223159.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  146.9 KB

Name:  20191205_223211.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  135.6 KB

Exhaust flanges just suck some times

Ouch! When i built my turbo manifold i had a similar issue but my gap wasn't quite as big. At that point i just sealed it up with some copper rtv and decided to just readdress it at a later time. I forgot to bolt my flange up to something to keep it from warping when welding...one day ill just build another set. This bug looks Awesome though. Been dreaming about a mid engine bug for quite awhile now and im glad i found this thread!

Hey Straitbuggin! The issue isnt with the flange being warped, its just fine. Its that one sensor sticking out too far that wont allow me to slip the header all the way on. If I can get my Evo put back together this weekend, I will be going full force on the Bug right after. No need for you to dream about a mid engine Bug, this one is going up for sale early next year and could be yours!

Ah i missed that part my bad. I would much rather build it my self than buy yours so no go on that route. My plan is to go almost the same way you went but keep the engine a little more tame. Stockish 2.2 with a turbo or supercharger. My Baja bug is currently se up this way but is rear mounted engine. I noticed you talked about how it wasnt very much of a driver, have you thought about tying your roll cage into your a and b pillars? Alot of the guys here in the offroad bug world said it made a world of difference, almost like driving a completely different car. Havent tried it out myself but will probably end up there.

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com