Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19
    Country Flag: United States

Quote Originally Posted by Bugzilla View Post
    Thanks Andrew! I hope it does. Might help make me want to keep it if I can make it more practical to drive. Now that I have my Evo where I want it, I am going to be back to working on the Bug. You know its kinda of sad actually. I got the Bug where I wanted it and then it sits. I get the Evo where I want it and now its just sitting. I drive it maybe once or twice a week. What is my problem!?
    You're a builder, not a driver. It's my problem as well. I enjoy the build more than the driving.
    1970 GTO Version 2.0
    1967 Cougar build
    GM High-Tech Performance feature
    My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
    Instagram @projectgattago

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Man I dont know... I love driving, especially on the track. Maybe thats it. There are so many horrible drivers out here, it scares me to take something nice out on to the streets. If the Evo gets wrecked, not really a big deal as its replaceable. The Bug can never be replaced if totaled since it is all custom. I do love building cars but to me the fun is using them how they were intended. For me, thats beating them on the track.
    1970 VW Bug - Just your average mid engine Bug
    @Frankinbeetle on Instagram

New track toy - 06 Evo - E85 and lots of boost

That doesn't explain why you don't drive them once you get them how you want them...lol
    1970 GTO Version 2.0
    1967 Cougar build
    GM High-Tech Performance feature
    My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
    Instagram @projectgattago

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Well I dont know then haha. Maybe if I sell off a few more cars I wont have any choice but to drive the ones that sit. That could work. Not sure how the other half is going to feel about me strapping the kid in the Bugs passengers seat though haha. Thats going to be an interesting conversation. Might have to mess with the car seat tonight to see how I can get it to fit, or if its even going to fit, before bringing it up.

I'd much rather be driving than building or working on my junk! Folks are welcome to come build on my junk anytime lol

Different strokes for different folks

Chad, I am with you on that! But...

I am now going backwards on progress. I currently have a running and driving vehicle. By the end of the day, I will not. The removal of a perfectly good engine has begun. Did a compression test on it last night at the request of the engines future owner. Was 158-160 across the board. So that was a green light to pull it out. If all goes well, the engine will be out by Monday. I have some pretty crazy ideas going through my head now.

My biggest complaint about the Bug is how its not a comfortable driver. Its a race car. Since the heart of the race car will be gone and getting tamed way down, I figured there was more I can do while the engine is out to make it an actual driver. I really want to convince myself to keep the car so here we go.

Step 1 - A tame engine. A bone stock 2.4L is going back in. Should be quieter out the exhaust and run a lot smoother. That means less rattles and no more ringing ears after a long drive. A lot better gas mileage too!
    Step 2 - Add in AC and heat. I have been talking to Vintage air and I think we figured out whats going to work.
    Step 3 - More insulation!
    Step 4 - New gauges and a partial rewire. My current gauges wont work with the new ECU I will be using. The gauges have a ton of wires to make them work. The new ones wont. Where the AC is going to mount is going to be in the way of my fuse block. So I figure I can just rewire the front half of the car. Should be simple. Might even decide to use a Smartwire module to clean things up even more.

In the middle of all that, I plan on adding on to my roll cage. I want to add 2 more bars to tie in the middle to the rear (through the rear hatch to the frame) and 2 more from the front to the very front (through the dash to the frame). Should have done that originally but whatever. The car will be gutted so it will be the perfect time. I am also going to finish the under belly pan. There are just a few areas in the rear that need it. After that, it will have a 100% flat belly. And lastly, I just need to put the side windows in and this thing should be a decent driver. Lets hope so at least.

The fun task of removing the engine has officially begun. Should be out by the weekend.

Name:  20190617_185830.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  103.5 KB

Name:  20190617_192631.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  133.9 KB

Alright, I signed up for my next auto-x event. Hopefully I make it in the Bug but not thinking it's going to happen. NMCA West on Aug 31 at Fontana Speedway. It's going to be a hot one but should be well worth it. Most likely I'll be there in my Evo. I just got a bunch of new parts for it so I think I might do a practice race just to be sure I get it dialed in on time.

Made some progress on the Bug over the weekend. I say progress but this is just putting me even further behind. Engine is out and will be going to its new home tomorrow. Internally, it still looks brand new and it should since it only has 250 miles and one race on it. Its going to be a while before I am back on this thing. Got to finish putting my house back together first. Maybe once the weather cools off it will be time to put the new engine in.

And like normal, the absolutely horrible task of taking it out through the door!

Name:  20190630_183626.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  158.8 KB

Name:  20190630_201057.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  115.0 KB

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19