Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Rivet nut tool

Country Flag: United States

Rivet nut tool

Curious if anyone here has used either the Astro Pneumatics rivet nut tool or the Harbor Freight rivet nut tool? I need one but don't want to shell out $200 for a tool that will likely be used for one or two projects. Would like to hear some feedback. Thanks

I bought rivnuts and the tools that require you to manually set them with wrenches from McMaster-Carr. They work great.

I have the nice ratcheting style and the "cheap" type you use two wrenches to set. I have used both for projects at work. The wrench style is fine for low volume work, just more labor intensive.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#rivet-nut-i...tools/=10xh9pv

They work pretty well as long as you grease the threads.

Ive been using the HF tool for quite a bit now, have installed over 100 so far and counting. Most of them being 1/4 thread, some steel but more aluminum. I have had a few issues with it tho, the device that pulls on the rivet itself is pretty weak and failed, I had to weld it solid because of a poor design but since then it has been working like a champ and of course you can't beat the price
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

I bought the westward brand one from grainger. It sets all the way up to 3/8". I've been satisfied with it for the price, It's large which is great for generating pulling powe. I can pull theads out of steel rivet nuts, so you have to be careful.
      Landon

67' Camaro

My Build Thread

I like these from McMaster too: http://www.mcmaster.com/#rivet-nut-i...tools/=10xo5iy

For size 10 and 1/4" nuts, I use a 12v inpact gun and 7/8" wrench to set them. It works really well (nice uniform deformation on the back side), but it's not the right tool if you're going to install hundreds of rivet nuts.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

I have the McMaste-Carr rivet nut pliers PN95585A600 for $56.28 which work exactly like pop rivet pliers.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#rivet-nut-i...tools/=10xwj4b
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

I have a marson tool it works great

Tim
      86 Mustang
      454 LS3 Mast 4500 intake FTI cam Holley EFI Drag radials and pump gas 9.24 143.73

79 Z28 Bonspeed GT-B DSE front and rear Z51 Brakes 5.3 Holley EFI Vintage Air

I have the westward tool but it is very very large and hard to work with if you need to use it on the car. The harbor freight tool is only really good for aluminum rivnuts, which I am not a fan of.

I'll spend the money on a rivnut pneumatic gun someday...
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

The Astro Pneumatic tool is awesome. I've been using it for months, and I keep finding new uses for the 100-pack of 1/4-20 riv-nuts I bought. What's better is that it does not fall apart after just a few minutes, like some H-F stuff tends to do. The A-P tool is a killer deal.

I have the Astro Pneumatic tool as well. It works great. I have been in a tight spot before though and the handles were difficult to fully open, but I managed to get it done.
      1971 Firebird
      2017 Slipstream SS

Quote Originally Posted by gray86hach View Post
      I have a marson tool it works great

Tim
      me too. metric and standard but biggest they handle are 3/8 10mm ant bigger require the smaller wedge style
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

I didn't know these things existed, but now I have to have one!
      Dude are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com