Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

OD Auto for stockish 1967 A body (Chevelle)

Hello All,

I am helping a friend with a 67 Chevelle. He would like to swap in an OD auto for drivability reasons. It is a beautiful mostly original numbers 396/375HP convertible with a TH350 currently and a 3.55 12 bolt. He has a slightly warmer cam in it and he estimates the engine torque to be about 450-500 ft-lbs MAX.

He really enjoys the car, however due to the gear ratio it is not very happy on the highway. This means he and his wife don't drive it if they need to go for much more than a very local cruise.

He is interested in swapping out the TH350 but due to the condition and authenticity of the car does not want to do any permanent mod's. In other words if an OD trans will fit in the unmodified tunnel and the shifter will work in the original console he'd be happy. He also understands that he would most likely require a new drive shaft.

This all was started by him riding in my Camaro and loving the 6 speed I put in it. 4.10's and still much more cruisable than his car on the highway.

Any suggestions on transmissions and vendors is very helpful. We live in New England so in the North East would be great but not required.
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

Check out here.

www.jakesperformance.com
      1978 Black Trans Am 455 Edelbrock heads [email protected] through mufflers on pump gas
      1981 Trans Am 400 stock type motor
      79 Camaro getting a 500" 695 hp IA2 Pontiac motor
      1965 GTO project car
      470ci/Chevy dual quad 409 604 HP 64 Impala SS project
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

Thanks for the reply. The 200-4R sounds like a possible good fit given the mostly stock setup and intended use.

Someone also suggested the gear vendors over/under drive.

Nice to have some options out there. More advice and experiences doing this would be great.
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

the 200-4r will fit where a th350 will but you will have to move the crossmember back some. some cars already have holes drilled but if not 4 small holes wouldn't hurt the value I wouldn't think.

Shiftworks has the parts to fix the oem shifter to work with the OD.

Pretty sure a 700r4 will bolt righ in. The 700 trans mount is very close to the 350 location, 200 nearly matches a 400.

Use the Bowler Trushift TV cable and their lock up kit as well.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

We have several different transmission options that would work for your friend's Chevelle. And yes regardless of who you end up getting the transmission from, if you go with the 700R4 or 200-4R, our Trushift and Lock up kit are a nice addition to keep your transmission functioning properly. If he's interested in getting more information on what we have, please give me a call at 618-943-4856 or send me a message. Thanks!
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Thanks everyone for the responses. It is really appreciated. I have forwarded the info and link of this thread to my friend. Hopefully he will be calling you about some info and prices Craig.

This is one of the many things I like about the Pro-touring website and the people who come together to make it such a rich source of info.

Cheers, Brew!

If you want to have a lot of fun with easy install with no tunnel mods get a Gear Vendors OD. I have one, I went from a manual to a auto due to a work injury Left knee is angry and shifting was becoming increasingly difficult. I LOVE my gear vendors with the ability to half shift in the corners. When in auto function it sounds like one of those new auto Maserati. Anyways its a blast and I love it. Pre install I was very hesitant but have not looked back since.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com