Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Hooker 1st-gen F-body/3rd-gen X-body headers and exhaust systems

I'm creating this thread due to a request I received from another member the other day to do so. As the title suggests, I will be using this location as a depository for photos and information related to all the new 1st-gen F-body and 3rd-gen X-body headers and exhaust systems Hooker has released over the last few years. Much of these products came about as part of our LS swap system development efforts and some of it came afterwards as compatible products for older SB Chevy engine applications in the same cars.

The specific product I was asked about were newer SB headers for 1st-gen F-bodies that had the same high-tuck ground clearance as our new LS swap headers do, so I will start this thread with some photos for those applications and build from there. There will be quite a few products I will cover in this thread and will have many photos to post, so this will be an on-going effort that will probably take a couple of weeks to get everything posted up.

If you have questions along the way, I will be happy to answer them.

Here are the photos of the newer Hooker SB headers for 1st-gen F-body/3rd-gen X-body applications; the silver painted parts shown are the prototypes installed in the car to depict clearances and the other photos depict the same headers in the premium stainless steel variant they are available in (you can also get them in more-affordable mild steel form):

These headers are available with 1-5/8", 1-3/4" and 1-3/4" to 1-7/8" stepped primaries and with standard port or D-port configured flanges. They feature flat finished TIG welded flanges and include O2 sensor bungs located in the collectors for those running EFI or wanting to tune with wide-band O2 sensors...be sure to take note of the generous steering box clearance. The stainless steel versions of the headers use the same formed merge collectors and investment cast collector spears that we use on our LS swap and Blackheart header applications.I will post up more photos on Monday...I can't figure out why the photos double-posted.
      Attached Images Attached Images              

Oh wow.....

So the D port version will fit aluminum fastburn heads?

Ground clearance is awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rchaskin View Post
      Oh wow.....

So the D port version will fit aluminum fastburn heads?

Ground clearance is awesome!!!
      Yes, they will fit the Fastburn heads.

These are exactly what I have been looking for. Do you have a part number for the 1 3/4" D port version please?
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Sure, what version are you interested in, the stainless steel? If so, the part number would be 2107-7HKR. Don't get worried about any photo you see in a listing for the stainless headers not looking like the photos I posted...the photos for the mild steel versions got used on all of them and I'm working on correcting that over the next few weeks.

Thanks for the PN! So the pics above are the mild steel ceramic version?
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

The silver painted ones installed on the car are mild steel, the shiney ones attached to
      the engine on the stand are the stainless steel version of the headers. The pictures for the stainless headers on the Holley website, and other sites, will depict the mild steel headers as photos of the stainless headers have not existed to this point. I'm working on fixing that issue.

I have been looking for headers for my 68 Camaro to replace the old ones. I have hopes that these will work. 406 sbc, dart iron eagle angled plugs heads, tremec tko 600 stock z-bar clutch linkage, and a steroid rack and pinion steering. I would be interested in the ceramic coated headers.

I don't know how compatible they would be with your steering rack Mike, but they would be compatible with the rest of your combination. Do the Iron Eagle heads feature stock port shapes? If you can tell me that and whether you want 1-5/8" or 1-3/4" primaries, I can tell you what part number you'll need to order.

The Dart Heads have square port and the recommended gasket is fel-pro 1405 and 1404. Not sure on the size of the primaries yet, but thinking more towards the 1-3/4. Thank you.

The web site for the Steeroids rack lists Hooker #2451-1 full length fitting with no problem but will not work with angled plugs, and hooker supercomp not fitting. Hope this might help with rack compatibility.

The 2451 headers have been sold by Hooker for more than 30 years and although they may clear your steering rack, they come nowhere close to providing the component/ground clearance and level of build detail that the new Hooker SB headers do that I'm referring to I this thread. The new headers feature flat-finished TIG welded flanges compared to the raised weld bead MIG method of construction used by Hooker headers of the past. You'll want to research part numbers 2104-1HKR and 2105-1HKR to get applicable information on the new headers.

I hate to be a pain, but do you have any pictures of the actual port shape between the 2105-HKR and 2107-HKR? The web site seems to show the same port shape for both headers so I suspect that is just a generic port pic that they posted for both headers. After looking at my RHS head ports, I'm thinking I may need the square port 2105-HKR.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

No problem, I can post up something for you tomorrow...you are correct, the detail photos shown on the website right now all depict the stock port header flanges.

Here's the geometry dimensions for both flanges...you should be able to use this data to determine which design best suits your cylinder heads.201601110943.pdf

Perfect, thanks!
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

I know Hooker PN 2238HKR has been discontinued for years, but I assume that the build specs for these headers still exist within the company. Is there any possibility that Hooker would accept a custom order for the 2238HKR with a 3/8" flange and ceramic coating? I know it's a long shot, but it costs nothing to ask.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      I know Hooker PN 2238HKR has been discontinued for years, but I assume that the build specs for these headers still exist within the company. Is there any possibility that Hooker would accept a custom order for the 2238HKR with a 3/8" flange and ceramic coating? I know it's a long shot, but it costs nothing to ask.
      I'm not familiar with that part number, but if it has been discontinued for years the welding fixtures would be long-gone and disposed of by now. Hooker doesn't offer custom order/build options, so it wouldn't have helped you any if the fixtures still existed. You're right, it costs nothing to ask.

Does the exhaust system for these headers look the same as the one pictured for the 2nd Gen Camaro in the other thread? Any pics of the 1st Gen Camaro exhaust system?
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

They share design and fitment characteristics, but have obvious differences in their tube bend geometries...I'll dig up some photos next week for you.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com