Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      I was looking at the pics again and I noticed that the clutch Z-Bar was not installed in the Camaro. I assume you have verified that there is room for it?

Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      I was looking at the pics again and I noticed that the clutch Z-Bar was not installed in the Camaro. I assume you have verified that there is room for it?
      Yes, they are completely compatible with the Z-bar linkage and return spring. They are not compatible with the factory back-drive linkage however, so you'll have to customize/modify that to retain its operation, or remove it...that was the cost for obtaining the ground clearance present in the headers.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddoky View Post
      Yes, they are completely compatible with the Z-bar linkage and return spring. They are not compatible with the factory back-drive linkage however, so you'll have to customize/modify that to retain its operation, or remove it...that was the cost for obtaining the ground clearance present in the headers.
      Back-drive linkage? Sorry, I have owned a 1st gen Camaro for 43 years and I have never heard that term. Please explain.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Back-drive linkage? Sorry, I have owned a 1st gen Camaro for 43 years and I have never heard that term. Please explain.
      I guess the more common term for it is "reverse lockout linkage". It is the linkage the locks the steering column and allows you to remove your key from the column also controls the back-up lamps; the parts listings I've seen show it as only being used on 69-72 model year Camaros, but I'm not certain whether it was used on the 67 or 68 cars or not.

Yeah, 67 and 68 ignition switch is on the dash so there was no reverse lockout mechanism. That first appeared in 69 when the switch was moved to the steering column. Thanks for clearing that up!
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Sooooo, was there going to be a DSE quadralink compatible exhaust kit for 1st gens?
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      Sooooo, was there going to be a DSE quadralink compatible exhaust kit for 1st gens?
      I believe that is something that is slated to happen over the next few months.

how about the ridtech 4 link?

Paul Krol
      1968 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by paulk68 View Post
      how about the ridtech 4 link?
      There's nothing in the works that would be compatible with that system that I'm aware of.

Does the exhaust system for these headers look the same as the one pictured for the 2nd Gen Camaro in the other thread? Any pics of the 1st Gen Camaro exhaust system?
      I ordered a pair of 2105-7HKR through Summit but I'm still curious about the 1st Gen exhaust.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

I recently purchased and "mocked up" a set of the # 70201306 RHKR mid length headers in stainless steel to compliment the installed Holley/Hooker engine mounts, application is a 69 Firebird w/ LS-1 GTO engine and the fit is perfect, very pleased. The welds are very nice, excellent flange thickness and excellent steering gear box & ground clearance. Thank You Todd for recommending them.

Tim john---

Quote Originally Posted by Tim john--- View Post
      I recently purchased and "mocked up" a set of the # 70201306 RHKR mid length headers in stainless steel to compliment the installed Holley/Hooker engine mounts, application is a 69 Firebird w/ LS-1 GTO engine and the fit is perfect, very pleased. The welds are very nice, excellent flange thickness and excellent steering gear box & ground clearance. Thank You Todd for recommending them.

Tim john---
      Thanks for chiming in Tim. If you can find the time, please post up a couple of photos of your headers installed on your car as it really helps others who may be looking for a set of headers.

Thanks,

Todd

I've been searching,but can't really find anyone with the new SBC hookers,other than the first page post here.

My 2131 supercomps are nowhere near fitting my new engine on the drivers side.
      Major interference at the pitman arm/nut, steering box,rag joint.
      slight interference at passenger side idler @ full left.

Will the new Hooker SBC headers fit without the hammer method ?
      I still read issues with Doug's and the Dynatechs here and there also with raised port heads and parts of the steering system.
      Not really wanting to go Lemons just yet,but may have to.$$$

SBC with AFR 210 heads,5spd,Z-bar,pwr st, No A/C.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeike View Post
      I've been searching,but can't really find anyone with the new SBC hookers,other than the first page post here.

My 2131 supercomps are nowhere near fitting my new engine on the drivers side.
      Major interference at the pitman arm/nut, steering box,rag joint.
      slight interference at passenger side idler @ full left.

Will the new Hooker SBC headers fit without the hammer method ?
      I still read issues with Doug's and the Dynatechs here and there also with raised port heads and parts of the steering system.
      Not really wanting to go Lemons just yet,but may have to.$$$

SBC with AFR 210 heads,5spd,Z-bar,pwr st, No A/C.
      The new Hooker 1st-gen headers are a completely different animal than all the older Hooker applications for your car...they don't have interference at any of the locations you've mentioned. User neilb over on Camaros.net has them on his 1st-gen, so you could send him a PM for first-hand feedback if you're a member over there.

I thought I would post an update to this thread now that I have the new Hookers installed. Sorry for the delay but it has taken nearly 6 weeks to get these delivered. This new Hooker 1st Gen Camaro header is a completely new design from the tired old header that Hooker sold for the past 40 odd years. I removed my dynatech headers and installed the new Hookers and I can tell you, based on first hand experience now, that these new headers work perfectly with a DSE sub frame and gain an extra 1" of ground clearance. Here are some installed pics of the new Hooker 2105-7HKR. The only installation issue I had was the #5 cyl header bolt is a tight fit and needs to be started first. A slightly slotted hole in the flange at that location would help installation a lot.

Name:  20160610_144311.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  129.9 KB

Name:  20160610_145213.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  153.6 KB

Name:  20160609_192925.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  133.9 KB
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

I thought I would post an update to this thread now that I have the new Hookers installed. Sorry for the delay but it has taken nearly 6 weeks to get these delivered. This new Hooker 1st Gen Camaro header is a completely new design from the tired old header that Hooker sold for the past 40 odd years. I removed my dynatech headers and installed the new Hookers and I can tell you, based on first hand experience now, that these new headers work perfectly with a DSE subframe and gain about 1" ground clearance. Here are a couple of before and after pics the first is the dynatech header and the second is the new Hooker 2105-7HKR. The only installation issue I had was the #5 cyl header bolt is a tight fit and needs to be started first. A slightly slotted hole in the flange at that location would help installation a lot.

Dynatech headers
      Attachment 128023

Hooker 2105-7HKR headers
      Attachment 128024
      I'm really glad to hear that worked out well for you and allowed you to gain the extra ground clearance...can you post some photos of the clearance between the driver side header and the steering shaft.

Are there any plans to do the same thing as far as ground clearance for those of us running big block engines in our first gens? I ran 2205-1HKR Super Comps for years until I needed to go lower.

Jim
      1968 Camaro --502HO, ATI 10" TreeMaster, Hughes TH400 with Gear Vendor's OD, Moser 12-bolt, RideTech StrongArms and MuscleBar, Chris Alston G-bar rear suspension, 2 1/8" by 4" Lemon's Headers through 3" Pypes X-pipe and Hooker AeroChambers.

Quote Originally Posted by camrat68 View Post
      Are there any plans to do the same thing as far as ground clearance for those of us running big block engines in our first gens? I ran 2205-1HKR Super Comps for years until I needed to go lower.

Jim
      There's nothing on the development schedule at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddoky View Post
      I'm really glad to hear that worked out well for you and allowed you to gain the extra ground clearance...can you post some photos of the clearance between the driver side header and the steering shaft.
      I will get some pics next time I get the car down off the lift probably in the next day or two. But I can tell you that the DS header could not fit the steering shaft better if it had been designed for the DSE steering rack. There is at least 1" clearance at the closest point.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

I will get some pics next time I get the car down off the lift probably in the next day or two. But I can tell you that the DS header could not fit the steering shaft better if it had been designed for the DSE steering rack. There is at least 1" clearance at the closest point.
      That's great. Does the DSE subframe accept the factory frame stands,and if so, which ones are you using (short/wide or tall/narrow)?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com